PDA

View Full Version : Major Tool Upgrade......

Corey Hallagan
07-27-2005, 7:32 PM
Well this has been a long time coming. I have pretty much got the tools that I want and need for my small shop now. Well, maybe a jointer but with this haul, I am not complaining. I have treated myself to a brand new set of routers... a Dewalt 618 PK plunge and fixed base for hand work. I tried out the 618 and the Bosch 1617 and I liked both, loved the cool wood handles on the Bosch but that little Dewalt just felt great, had a nice grip and love the sqwatty feel of it. And I got a nice little set off Dewalt Chisels! Soon I will get a set of Pat Warner Bases for this set.

http://www.gpxd.com/Woodworking/Dw618pk.jpg

For the router table, a brand new Dewalt 625 3HP router. I know from reading Pat Warners site that this is a good router. I would have like the Milwaukee but this will suffice! I am new to these big plungers, might have some questions for you seasoned plunge users and hawg table users.

http://www.gpxd.com/Woodworking/DW625.JPG

For the DW625 to go in, I bought a new Bench Dog Pro Contractor Router Table. I was going to build one but I don't have room for one of those big Norm style cabinets. This fits the bill just great, and I love it! It really is a well engineered table. You have to assemble it, no big deal, took my time and enjoyed a couple cups of coffee while doing it. Beautifully finished baltic birch is used throughout. Nice laminate top, cross bracing, euro hinges and will hold any router made. Nice insert predrilled for about 30 routers and another insert available made for another dozen routers. The fence is nicely machined aluminum with MDF split subfence. Adjusts easily, and comes with machined aluminum shims for setting it up for jointing. CD shute built in.

http://www.gpxd.com/Woodworking/Protop1.JPG

Also picked up a new 24 inch edge guide/clamp and a Benchdog Feather Guide for the table saw and router table.

Oh yeah, one last thing.. A new Bosch 1591 Jig saw :) How is this for a gloat, I am on cloud nine. It will be a long time before I post another tool gloat!! Ok, now to go play!!

http://www.gpxd.com/Woodworking/Bosch1.JPG

http://www.gpxd.com/Woodworking/Bosch2.JPG

Corey

Don Baer
07-27-2005, 7:36 PM
Nice gloat Cory.

Theres gonna be sawdust flying in Cory's shop now.

Jim Becker
07-27-2005, 7:44 PM
Hmm....you weren't kidding when you said you would have a nice gloat coming!! Great haul! And I also like the feel of the DW618; particularly in the fixed base. Good tool.

Todd Davidson
07-27-2005, 7:47 PM
Nice haul Corey!!! One question though... are you sure you didn't paint your Craftsman jigsaw blue ;) and perhaps buy the Bosch box off of e-bay :rolleyes: ? Would love to see you do a review of the Dewalt routers. Now go put that splitter on and make some dust.

Brian Hale
07-27-2005, 8:01 PM
You chose some GREAT tools Cory and i'm sure you'll enjoy them. Let us know about that Bench Dog, i've considered them several times but never pulled the trigger.

Nice Haul!
Brian

john whittaker
07-27-2005, 8:01 PM
Cory...Is this a B-day present to yourself?
Very nice gloat. I've bought the 618 combo right after it came out and am very happy with it. Not a "beast" but strong enough for everything I've put it through and small enough to handle. I use the 618 in my table as well but would like to upgrade to the 625 ....someday. Enjoy.

FYI - I've recently discovered Whiteside router bits and am very impressed. Bang for buck....a very good bit.

Bob Noles
07-27-2005, 8:24 PM
Whoa!

Way to go Corey. That is a fantastic haul. I have 2 of the 618's with all 3 bases and love them. Do get Pat's bases to go with the routers.... they make such a difference and he is really a great guy to help when you need him. I know he has been a real friend to me on more than on occassion.

You are going to love that Bosch jig saw as well. I have the top handle Bosch and love the way it cuts so smooth.

Keep us posted on the Bench Dog.... I came "that" close to going that route, but decided to build Norm's just for the experience instead.

Great Haul and I know you are beaming from ear to ear.

Corey Hallagan
07-27-2005, 8:31 PM
Thanks guys! This stuff has been coming in over the last 2 weeks. Started with the PC 4 1/2 inch trim saw that I already posted. I sold a collection of painted WWII miniatures of mine. I did well and made enough to purchase all of these and a new Dell PC soon to be on the way :)

I have recently updated to a new Delta CS, Ryobi CMS, had a good Craftsman floor DP and bought a new Delta SS350 scroll saw so with these items and the Kreg Jig, New Ridgid corded drill, Dewalt Orbital Sander and a few others I forget, I am fixed well. Feel very fortunate.

Thanks Jim, your starting to freak me out! LOL...

Todd...nope no paint here! The real deal. I was a little reluctant to buy the Bosch as I recently bought a new Craftsman jigsaw, It was the red convertible... kind of a Bosch wantabe. It isn't though. Everyone here tried to tell me though. It is a decent one but while i had the cash, I went for the gusto. The Dewalt 618 is a cool little 2 1/4 HP router. Love the feel. Been playing with it. Plunge base is very smooth, easy to adjust. We will see how it works in wood :). The big boy... scares the hell out of me!! I am going to have to play with it alot.

Brian... I love the Pro Top portable. Well worth the 200.00 I got it at Workbench Tools in Wisconsin by the way. I plan on using it when I make my drawers for the cabinets and the cabinet doors. It will get a workout on the new kitchen cabs as well soon. The Protop is one solid built table when assembled. They make some nice router tops as well. I didn't like the design of their large cabinet. I don't like how the wheels attach to the 3/4 laminate covered cabinet panels. I read where the the bottoms of the cabinet tend to get all banged up and get crunched up and doesnt' roll well on all but a super smooth floor. They should make it out of baltic birch as well :)

Thanks John, the new scroll saw was my birthday/fathersday present. Yeah, I guess it was a Bday present to myself!

Thanks Bob! Yours and Jim Beckers info along with taking the DW618 for a test ride was one of the reason I went with it.

Corey

Roy Wall
07-27-2005, 10:56 PM
Corey,

What a great selection of tools!!! Just super - they will certainly serve you well!!

Nice gloat happening to a nice guy:)

Good for you!

ROY

Bernie Weishapl
07-28-2005, 12:18 AM
Nice haul Corey. You are going to have fun for a long time to come. Are you sure it's not your birthday?????????:confused: I have been looking at the Hitachi M12V plunge router for a while now. I have a 2 hp craftmans that does well but there are times I wish I had the plunge router.

Enjoy Corey!!!!!!!

Bernie

Corey Hallagan
07-28-2005, 12:20 AM
Thanks Roy, I appreciate that! I feel very fortunate to have some top of the line tools. I have to get busy now.

Funny thing is over the last couple weeks as this stuff trickled in, I figured out that our UPS delivery time on my hill was pretty much between 5:30 to 6:00 at night. So, I was just getting home when the stuff was being delivered. I find out that the UPS man is a wood worker. Nice to know that your UPS guy is looking out for you! He come walking up the drive holding the router table box reading the box. He says "Corey, nice router table man. Mine is just like your Craftsman sitting there"
2 days later and he comes walking up the drive into the garage with the Dewalt router so I cracked it open and we looked and messed with it, then he sees the router table all assembled and said.... "you got a New Yankee Workshop in here!"
We talked a bit, told him about SMC and we talked about more tools. Nice young fellow with an aching for fine tools!

Corey Hallagan
07-28-2005, 12:23 AM
Hey Bernie thanks! No what you mean. As far as the Hitachi goes, that router was in my back pocket the whole time if I ran short on the funds. It is an exceptional value, can't go wrong.

Corey

Vaughn McMillan
07-28-2005, 3:10 AM
Well done, Corey. I kinda figured you were holding something out on us, and now I can see what it was. Looks like you're set for some major sawdustage.

If deliveries are on time, I should be doing a mini-gloat of my own in the near future.

- Vaughn

Dan Forman
07-28-2005, 3:24 AM
Corey---I believe that would qualify for mega-gloat status. Way to go, I'm sure you will have fun with them and put them to good use.

Dan

Frankie Hunt
07-28-2005, 9:25 AM
I 2nd the "mega-gloat status" motion!

Way to go Corey !!!

Frankie

Thomas Becknell
07-28-2005, 9:55 AM
nice gloat Corey. let us see the results of all that sawdust you make with them. and it's nice to see jim is keeping an eye on everything.:D

Corey Hallagan
07-28-2005, 2:37 PM
Thanks guys! I am looking forward to using the new tools. I appreciate everyones help here in my many research posts that led up to this point.

Corey