PDA

View Full Version : Strange Pet Behaviors

Rich Riddle
02-08-2015, 6:32 PM
I have a small dog, well three small dogs, but one strange one. Ever since he has been a puppy he likes to wedge himself behind my neck and back and the couch cushion. I would think it would get very hot back there; it certainly is on my neck/back. Take a nap in a chair or on the couch and wake up to find him wedged there. Read a book or computer, he slithers in for the spot. So what strange behaviors do your pets perform?

Bert Kemp
02-08-2015, 6:52 PM
My cat has a strange eating habit. He'll only eat his food if I put some on the floor first. If I don't put a handful of dry food on the floor by his bowl he'll just walk around my feet meowing at me till I do. and if I play stubborn and not do it he won't eat. Pretty strange I think.

Mel Fulks
02-08-2015, 7:34 PM
Bert, my guess is he wants to make sure it's not too squishy, you know...has enough air in it before it goes in the "super
bowl.

Jim Koepke
02-08-2015, 8:36 PM
One of our cats doesn't like people. We have seldom pet this cat. She hisses when we do. Our other cat will drink water by dipping his paw into the water and then licking it off. He also will pick up dry food in his paw and eat it. He often gets a lot of it on the floor and then will eat some of it from the floor.

The outside cat will eat her food, but often when you look in the bowl all but one color of the dry food is gone.

jtk

Jon Shank
02-08-2015, 8:50 PM
We have a pit/lab mix, big sweetheart, great dog. He likes to walk up to me when I'm standing anywhere, in the house, out in the yard, at the lathe,whatever and tuck his head between my legs and lift it up until it stops. We call it his ball hat. He doesn't do it hard or fast or anything, if anything it's slow and gentle. He's not trying to rack me in the family jewels, he just likes to put his head up there. And he'll sit or stand there perfectly content for as long as I stand still. The police stopped by a while back, about something with the moron neighbors to the right. NO we didn't hear anything particular, little yelling, didn't make anything out, they didn't come over and knock to have us back up one or the other of them this time. And the cop, middle aged black guy, very personable, just keeps looking down at this big square pit head sticking out between my legs. Never a word said about it, he's got dogs too. A pit and a rot incidentally, we agreed they both get a bad rap for nothing.
We have a cat named Guinness, yes after the beer. She likes beer. Not her namesake mind you, she only likes nice hoppy IPAs. Fortunately in the homebrewing community I'm whats referred to as a hophead, I do love my way overhopped beers. She'll come over and stick her head in my glass and just go to town. Funnier though is if I'm drinking out of a bottle. Obviously she can't get into the bottle so she licks around the mouth and neck of the bottle to get whatevers left over there, and then glares at me until I take another sip so she can try to get a little more. If I don't notice, she tries to grab my hand with her paws and pull it towards the bottle.
We have another cat named Murphy, also named after a beer, Murphy's Irish stout. The list with this peice of work goes on forever so I'll just hit a couple highlights. She plays fetch. Yup, no kidding. She'll come into the room with a little foam tennis ball in her mouth trying to meow around it, then bring it up and drop it in your lap. Mreow? Ok, Murph yeah. And you toss it and off she goes, finds it grabs it and brings it back. Mreow? Yeah, yeah, and off she goes again. Next best, might actually be funnier. She will walk into the kitchen and stare at you meowing loudly, then flop over on her side. And she'll keep meowing at you until you put your hand under her armpits and spin her backwards, head leading on the linoleum. The faster the better, just limp and weeeeeeeeeeee! When you get bored of spinning her you just pull your hand away and let her spin to a stop on her own. Then she lays there for a few, and looks around like she's stoned. Then she gets up and wobbles around the house for a while looking like she's about to fall over, every so often with an appreciative meroew? The first 2 examples were rescues, just mutts we took in. Her? She's from a breeder, expensive cat. If she was human she'd have to wear a helmet. To be fair, really good pet, big mouthy sweetheart as well.
And lastly my dearly departed favorite dog, Bon Ton. The list is longer than Murphy's but I'll just give you one. The 2 of us were home alone one day and just chilling. I had to go do something, don't remember what but I had to get dressed and go out of the house. Bon wasn't having it, so she was following me around the house. I walk into the bedroom and decide I don't feel like having the dog watching me while I change. Yeah, I know who cares, I don't but for whatever reason I closed the door behind me. Bon walks up and bumps the door with her head, pretty hard. No dumbass, it's not gonna open, I'll be out in a minute. And I don't hear anything for a few seconds. Turns out she backed up, got a running start and blasted head first into the door. It didn't open. I just heard a sound like a horse charging, budumpbudumpbudmp, BAM! Open the door, she's just kind of flopped on the floor looking up, big dumb lab grin on her face, little crosseyed. Hey it opened! I miss that dog.

Jon

Mike Chance in Iowa
02-08-2015, 9:03 PM
I wouldn't call this behavior strange, but downright hilarious. One of my dogs was very bonded with humans and was always next to me or certain other humans she liked. If I or anyone happened to pass gas, even a silent one, she would look at you, make direct eye contact, get up and start walking out of the room, turn back at the doorway and give you another glare and continue out the room and then sigh a big "huff" as if to say "You are NOT blaming me for that!"

A neighbor had a cat that would only eat his food by reaching into the bowl and grabbing a fist full and then eating the food out of his fist.

Ken Platt
02-08-2015, 10:12 PM
One of my dogs has to turn around and around before he can pee. During the day he has the run of the yard so he's on his own to take care of business, but at night before bed I take him out on a leash, and it drives me NUTS to stand there while he goes around 30 or 40 times, occasionally stopping as though he's gonna go, then deciding against it and continuing the revolutions. It's especially fun when it's windy and like 0 degrees out.

Ken

Jon Shank
02-08-2015, 10:55 PM
I forgot a good one for Guinness the cat, I was talking about her above. We used to have a standard poodle, Remington. Actually Remington's Jackpot, another breeder bought animal, if you wanna guess who's dog that was go ahead. Naw wth, I always adopted mutts, my wife has these dream animals that's she's always wanted one of those (so far white standard poodle, and a tonkaneese cat. Now since we lost poor Remi she has taken some time to get over it and wants another standard poodle, this time a red one, go ahead google that and see what they go for from good breeders. I did, and damn!) To be fair, I still think the poodles are kinda silly looking but he was a fantastic dog, damn near the size of a great dane, 35" at the shoulder, about 90 pounds just with a fuzzy little white afro. He didn't get any of the stupid poodle cuts with the poofs and BS but even so a little goofy looking. Again though, great dog, personality like a much smarter lab, big lover, happy go lucky, great dog. Well back to the origional story, Remi was a big lover with the cats too, just loved them to death. And Guinness is the queen of the house, so when she gave him attention he was in his glory! Except! When he was eating she would sometimes come down off the cat feeder, higher than the dog feeders so one of the boys couldn't get into the cat food(Duncan, I haven't gone into him yet.) But she would hop down from the cat feeder onto Remi's feeder and push him right out of his bowl. And just stand there keeping him away. She didn't eat his food or anything, occasionally sniff it, but not eat any. She just wanted to show that she as an 18 pound cat (yep, she's a big kitty) she could boss the 90 pound big dog right out of his bowl in the middle of dinner. Don't take no crap, that Guinness.

Steve Rozmiarek
02-08-2015, 10:59 PM
There is some funny stuff going on here, they say pets and owners are alike....

We have a 7# black and tan mini dachshund that thinks she is flying squirrel. My daughter and I just witnessed her going at least 7 feet airborne between the couch and a chair. You'd think she would learn to check the landing strip more carefully though, pretty funny when she lands on the cat and he doesn't expect it.

Jon Shank
02-08-2015, 11:01 PM
My wife was amused and provided video proof!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMqzBXYBchc

Enjoy their goofiness!

Jon

Jon Shank
02-08-2015, 11:07 PM
And since she was at it, video of Murphy the spinny kitty! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHSLoLg823s

Strange is just what they do, and we love them for it. Keeps me sane sometimes.

Jon

Kent A Bathurst
02-09-2015, 12:43 AM
And since she was at it, video of Murphy the spinny kitty! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHSLoLg823s

Strange is just what they do, and we love them for it. Keeps me sane sometimes.

Jon

Murphy is a Siamese, right? My sister had Siamese as a kid at the family house, and ever since in her home.

My detailed analysis showed there is no known connection between Siamese cats and reality / sanity. Those synapses never developed in that breed.

Dan Hintz
02-09-2015, 6:25 AM
If she was human she'd have to wear a helmet.

I just laughed and laughed at this... :p

Jim Matthews
02-09-2015, 8:33 AM
I'm always bemused when pet servants like myself ascribe intelligence to animals,
particularly like my adopted Australian cattle dog - who has a brain the size of
a walnut and preferentially eats poo.

The other dog in our house has developed an uncanny sense to locate
the fullest bladder in the room, and sit on it.

Jon Shank
02-09-2015, 8:19 PM
Kent, sort of. She's a Tonkinese, half Siamese, half Burmese. Looks alot like a siamese but heavier sturdier cat. Also loony tunes and mouthy like a siamese though, geez she likes to talk. She's also a huge antagonist for Guinness the older of the 2, gets her riled up like crazy on a regular basis, which leads me to believe she's mildly suicidal as well.

Jim, I'm always surprised by how sharp they can be when they want to be. Both of the cats and one of the dogs can open my shop door just as well as I can. And the 2 dogs pack hunt out in the yard, they've caught a couple of squirrels and rabbits in the open yard. I know that's more instinct that actual smarts, but impressive none the less. We try to discourage it of course but seeing it out the window before I can yell it's still pretty impressive. One will go wide and be loud to herd the squirrel in whatever direction while the other goes in quiet from behind and hits it. Duncan is the pack leader in terms of hunting, doberman-giant schnauzer mix (just picture a doberman with schnauzer hair). He's got that vermin hunting instinct of the schnauzer big time, and quick as all get out with the doberman.

Jon

Brian Henderson
02-09-2015, 8:23 PM
I've got a cocker spaniel that insists on making me watch him eat. He'll watch me walk around the house, backing into the kitchen where his food bowl is, until I'm close enough to see him run over to the bowl and eat something. If I don't go in there, he won't eat, although I suspect he does in the middle of the night. For some reason, he gets really happy about me seeing him eat something.

Rich Riddle
02-09-2015, 9:21 PM
I've got a cocker spaniel that insists on making me watch him eat. He'll watch me walk around the house, backing into the kitchen where his food bowl is, until I'm close enough to see him run over to the bowl and eat something. If I don't go in there, he won't eat, although I suspect he does in the middle of the night. For some reason, he gets really happy about me seeing him eat something.
My friend has a spaniel who won't use the restroom unless someone is outside with him watching. I am not sure who is stranger, the dog or the person who obliges the dog???

Jon Shank
02-10-2015, 7:57 AM
Always a hard call Rich. :D

Jim Matthews
02-10-2015, 10:27 AM
I grew up with Miniature and Standard schnauzers.
Belligerent to the last, everyone.

They were constantly getting into scraps, and losing.

My folks last "real" dog was a jet-black Standard Schnauzer named "Kohl".
Best Dog Ever - never started dog fights, the invisible Death for squirrels.

Love to see pics of the Dobie/Schnauzer mix, the 'some enchanted evening' dogs are my favs.

Pat Barry
02-10-2015, 12:29 PM
We have a routine of walking on Sat and Sun AM with the pooch. Shes a Walker Coon Hound, and cannot pass a location where another dog has done its business been without taking a good whiff. Sometimes this means the spot is under snow - no mind she gets her snout right in there. Half the time it seems, she needs to pee on the same spot. In the course of a morning walk, this can amount to a lot of pee stops - last count the record was ~ 15 in one 1/2 hour walk. Wow!. I can't get her to stop this. Also, she absolutely has to crap on a hill. She will seek out the perfect little hill or snow mound in order to crap. Never on a level surface. She must be very frustrated in our backward which has no hills whatsoever.

Kent A Bathurst
02-10-2015, 1:30 PM
........ cannot pass a location where another dog has done its business been without taking a good whiff.............Half the time it seems, she needs to pee on the same spot.

Too funny. We live inhe city of Atlanta, in a mid-20's neighborhood. Every day - am walks thru vening walks - there has to be 2 dozen + dogs out alling up and down our street.

At the end of our drive is a small bush [don't know what kind - that is LOML's end of the deal] that is the mid-walk marker spot for 90+% of those dogs. THey pull their humans over to the bush, sniff it out, leave their mark, and move on.

Owner's look at me - apologetic - I assure them it is fine - join the club, as it were. I get to see a lot of different breeds, and - to be honest - a lot of babes walking dogs.

The only thing I know is that LOML chose the right breed of ornamental bush - bred for resistance to dog pee.

Bert Kemp
02-10-2015, 10:42 PM
I'm with you Dan To Funny ;)
I just laughed and laughed at this... :p

Jon Shank
02-10-2015, 11:41 PM
Ask and ye shall receive. Picture of Duncan (Dobi-Schnauzer mix) looking nervous or very normally Duncan. 306643

And a more normal version of Duncan looking like a complete geek.306644

And cause I'm all picturey, Bon Ton and Percy as well. Percy was really young, Bon alas was not. Really miss her.306645

And a favorite picture of Bon. 306646

Jon

Jon Shank
02-10-2015, 11:51 PM
And a picture my very talented wife painted of Bon Ton out in my shop, before the lathe took up such a dominant position. I can't tell you how much this painting means to me now that Bonners is gone. 306648
The look of it capture Bon's look and personality completely.

Jon

Curt Harms
02-11-2015, 2:16 PM
My cat has a strange eating habit. He'll only eat his food if I put some on the floor first. If I don't put a handful of dry food on the floor by his bowl he'll just walk around my feet meowing at me till I do. and if I play stubborn and not do it he won't eat. Pretty strange I think.

Not really. We have a Maine Coon who's kinda the same way. Put bits of fresh grilled chicken in a dish, she'll look at it, sniff it, maybe eat one piece but that'll be it. Put it on the floor and she'll eat it all. And won't drink water until she's taken her paw and pulled on one side of the crock to make sure the water moves. We've learned not to fill the crocks overly full :). Then we have a Maine Coon mix male. We've bought him toys, he ignores them. Give him a twist tie like from a loaf of bread and he goes nuts. Just an absolute riot to watch. If he drops the twist tie, I just pick it up, show it to him, toss it and off he goes again!

Raymond Fries
02-18-2015, 9:55 AM
Many years ago we got this little beagle mix dog. This had to be the dumbest dog on the planet; he never got anything right. My favorite was when we tried to potty train him which did not work. He would do his business anywhere then whine and run to the paper and sit and look at you. Looks like he was thinking "Did I get it right this time?" We just could not seem to make anything work. We finally named him O.D. because he acted like he had overdosed on some bizzare drug. We finally gave up and looked for a home for with someone that would like him.

Success - we found a home for him. It came to our surprise a couple of months later that the guy that had O.D. was a friend of Jim Davis who was the author of the comic strip Garfield. I am quite certain that our O.D became the character Odie in that comic strip. Everything fit for the Odie character. What a happy ending for him. All of his unusual character brought joy to millions. He is propably gone now and may he R.I.P.

Take Care and Enjoy Life...

Frederick Skelly
02-18-2015, 7:00 PM
Many years ago we got this little beagle mix dog. This had to be the dumbest dog on the planet; he never got anything right.

Success - we found a home for him. It game to our surprise a couple of months later that the guy that had O.D. was a friend of Jim Davis who was the author of the comic strip Garfield. I am quite certain that our O.D became the character Odie in that comic strip. Everything fit for the Odie character. What a happy ending for him. All of his unusual character brought joy to millions. He is propably gone now and may he RIP.

Dang, Raymond! Thats a pretty happy ending. Im smiling from ear to ear.

Myk Rian
02-19-2015, 8:30 AM
A couple weeks ago we were caring for my sister's dog. One morning we were sitting in our usual morning wake-up chairs with coffee, when Spirit suddenly came from HER doorwall spot, to the front room window, growling. We got her down so as to minimize plant damage, and she went back to the doorwal spot. That's where her bed was.

I looked out the front window, and say "what the heck". There was an opossum in the front yard. That isn't unusual, but how the heck did the dog know? She was in the back of the house.

Steve Rozmiarek
02-19-2015, 11:24 AM
A couple weeks ago we were caring for my sister's dog. One morning we were sitting in our usual morning wake-up chairs with coffee, when Spirit suddenly came from HER doorwall spot, to the front room window, growling. We got her down so as to minimize plant damage, and she went back to the doorwal spot. That's where her bed was.

I looked out the front window, and say "what the heck". There was an opossum in the front yard. That isn't unusual, but how the heck did the dog know? She was in the back of the house.

Our house cat did something similar, he couldn't actually see the possum when he fuzzed up in defensive position. Maybe possums make some noise they can hear or something?