PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw question

Don Baer
07-27-2005, 6:36 PM
I ran across a guy selling some older ww machines and picked up a large jig saw and a small table top joiner from him (Gloat to follow when I take pics).

Anyhow he had a 16" bandsaw that he wanted $250 for it was buried in the back of his shop so I wasn't able to get a good look at it but it apears to be whole. and he says it runs well. It has a 1" blade on it now and he says the whell need new tires. It all cast steel and has it own cast base. He says it was made by Elco. I can't find any info on it on the web but I found a picture of one similar to it on Ebay. My question is is this a good deal. How hard is it to put new tires on the wheels ?

Here is a picture of the one I found that looks similar.

jerry cousins
07-27-2005, 6:50 PM
check out this site - http://www.owwm.com

they know everything about old iron.

jerry

Chris Padilla
07-27-2005, 7:39 PM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=8002

Your picture is quite tiny but it looks like a Walker-Turner. Peruse the thread above...my father picked one up early last year. He loves it!

Mike Cutler
07-28-2005, 6:00 AM
$250.00 for a working 16" Bandsaw is a pretty good deal. The tires can be replaced easy enough. If the 1" blade is still usable that's an added bonus.
Definitely worth a serious look.

chris toomey
07-28-2005, 6:35 AM
where is the true gloatin this thread:)?

Maurice Ungaro
07-28-2005, 9:24 AM
BUY IT! Quick, before the guy realizes you are stealing it!

Scott Loven
07-28-2005, 10:02 AM
What is the motor size and phase? Do you have room for it in your shop? you can get the tires and good blades from http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/ The price is great!

Don Baer
07-28-2005, 11:08 AM
OK I called the guy and told him I would pick it up next week. It'll take him that long to move all of the other junk he has in front of it to get it out and I'll be out of town until tues anyhow. The motor is a 3/4 HP 110V and the blade appears to be in good shape.

I'm not to worried about someone else getting this thing ahaead of me. The guy is a real recluse. Lives in his shop. He doesn't own a computer and he spends his time making string instruments (Guitars, Lutes, Chellos etc) and repairing old tube type radios. He was most proud of the fact that he had an inventory of over 10,000 vacuum tubes. He has a kiln that he tried to sell me for $150.

He does have some serious old wood that he said he will let me look at stored on his parents farm but that will be a theme for another thread.

Lee Schierer
07-28-2005, 12:25 PM
The motor is a 3/4 HP 110V and the blade appears to be in good shape.

Plan on getting a new motor. 3/4 Hp is pretty small for a 16" saw particularly if you plan on resawing with that 1" blade. Based on the motor I can see why it was shoved to the back of the shop.

Don Baer
07-28-2005, 12:29 PM
The motor should be no problem. I have a spare 1 1/2 Hp that should do the job nicely. I'll hook it up to run on 220V. One of the nice things about the saw is that it has a steped pulley so you can change the blade speed depending on whether you are doing resawing or scrolling. I feel pretty good about the addition now I just need to rearrange the shop so this puppy wil fit in.

Thanks.

:D

Michael Perata
07-28-2005, 1:24 PM
[QUOTE=Don Baer]He was most proud of the fact that he had an inventory of over 10,000 vacuum tubes. QUOTE]

That ain't nothing - check this site out. "over ten million tubes in stock!!!!" http://www.vacuumtubes.net/ :o

James Carmichael
07-28-2005, 6:10 PM
Junk! Give me the owner's name, address & phone #. I'll let him know he can't take advantage of a Creeker like that.

Larry Crim
07-28-2005, 6:53 PM
That saw looks a lot like the one Scott Banbury has in his shop, I think he has worked on his so he might be able to give you some assistance on where to get parts if it's the same.

Larry

Don Baer
07-29-2005, 12:50 AM
Junk! Give me the owner's name, address & phone #. I'll let him know he can't take advantage of a Creeker like that.

James,
I'll give em one more try and if he try's to rip me off I promise to give you his number..

:rolleyes: