PDA

View Full Version : Drawer slides for the shop

Jon Nuckles
02-08-2015, 1:05 PM
I made a cart on which to mount my "portable" planer, and I want to put drawers in it. I'd like full extension slides with 100 pound rating, but I don't want to pay Blum Tandem prices for shop furniture. I've looked online and found both epoxy and ball bearing slides for less than $7.00 per drawer, but have no experience with them. Anyone have a recommendation for a slide and a source? The drawers will be around 24" square and from 5"-8" high. Side mount is fine, and I assume is cheaper. Here is the cabinet they'll go in

eugene thomas
02-08-2015, 1:30 PM
might try woodworkers hardware, they also sell though hdl name to businesses.
Whenever I went cheap on drawer slides for shop ended up buying twice..

Jamie Buxton
02-08-2015, 1:39 PM
Use Accuride 3832 or KV 8400 sidemount ball-bearing slides. These are name-brand slides used in millions of kitchens. Roughly $10 per pair.

I wouldn't go no-name slides. Probably some are good, and a bunch are not. If you were a big cabinet shop you could buy and test a bunch of no-name slides. But you're not. So rely on Accuride and KV trying to protect their good names by selling a good product.

John Stankus
02-08-2015, 1:46 PM
I don't know what your definition of cheap enough is, but I just put in two sets of the Self closing 100 lb full extension slides from Lee Valley. The non-self closing are $17.80 a pair for 24 inchers. I am very pleased with the ones I put in.

John

Reinis Kanders
02-08-2015, 1:56 PM
I just make them out of hardwood scraps and make a grove in the drawer side. Pretty cheap that way.

Tom M King
02-08-2015, 1:59 PM
KV8505 I've never worn out any, and some in our house have been repurposed for their third time.

Larry Edgerton
02-08-2015, 2:11 PM
I have about twenty different slides in my shop. Sawdust buildup is a problem on the Accuride and KV high quality sidemount slides. No huge deal but they have to be cleaned once in a while, but till you get around to it they get a bit sticky. Tolerances are tighter so they do not like dust.

Blum undermounts failed fairly soon with moderate to heavy loads. Drawer full of c clamps lasted about a year.

The best and most overlaoded believe it or not is the cheap Grass epoxy coat cheap 3/4 slides, Tolerances are loose enough that dust does not bother them at all, and I have a 24"wide drawer with about 50 or so Jorgansen F clamps, way over loaded, and it has worked just fine for over 20 years. They are cheap!

If I was not just using up leftovers that is the ones I would use all the time. They are around $5 apiece by the case, can't be much more individually.

Bill McNiel
02-08-2015, 2:37 PM
Jon, here is an earlier thread on the subject. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?223825-Shop-drawer-side-slides I went with the Economy Slides TT1000 from Wood Workers, roughly $5 a pair. Not the self-closing Hettich slides I use for clients but they are doing just fine in my shop and the price is right.

Lee Reep
02-08-2015, 2:58 PM
Jon,

This thread is certainly timely for me. I need to get some slides for a couple projects in my shop, and do not want to spend a fortune. And one of the projects is a cart for my DeWalt DW735, just like your planer. I hope you will post pictures when you are done adding the drawers.

Lee Schierer
02-08-2015, 4:37 PM
Try Woodworker Supply and look at the KNAPE & VOGTŪ 8400 DRAWER SLIDES COMBINE 100 LB. LOAD RATING, HIGH PERFORMANCE FEATURES AND CHOICE OF THREE FINISHES. They run from 8" - 28" and prices from $13.09 - 17.39 per pair. They are really good slides and will last a lifetime.

Alan Lilly
02-08-2015, 4:47 PM
I just bought some 14" full extension 100 pound slide for my shop drawers from http://www.cshardware.com/ and they are excellent for price. I paid only $4.90 a pair... and they are as good as any non-auto closing slide I have seen. Can't beat that price IMHO for a quality slide. They come in a full range of sizes... I just needed the 14 ... http://www.cshardware.com/39-1150-14.html

Jon Nuckles
02-08-2015, 6:22 PM
Thank you to everyone for your advice and suggestions. Balancing cost vs hoped-for performance, I just ordered the 24" KV8400 slides from Woodworkers Hardware at $11.00 per drawer plus $9.95 total shipping. I was very tempted by the KV8505, but they were way more expensive. Larry's reasoning in favor of the Grass epoxy slides made a lot of sense to me, but I really wanted full extension and the price jumps a lot to go from 3/4 to full extension in those. And, to Reinis, I use your method for shop drawers if they are small enough to take the drawer out to access the stuff in back, but not for big drawers like these.

Thanks again for your help, and I'll try to post a picture and a quick review when I receive and install them.

Jim Becker
02-08-2015, 9:24 PM
The standard duty full-extension slides from Lee Valley are very nice and not all that expensive. Buy a decent product now and save time and expense later... ;)

Jim Sevey
02-08-2015, 10:26 PM
Ovis. 9 years and still working perfectly.