PDA

View Full Version : Wax over polymerized tung oil?

Clay Fails
02-08-2015, 8:54 AM
I just completed a walnut safa table that i finished with polymerized tung oil (Lee Valley, maybe made by Sutherland Welles, not sure). The top has 6 coats and has cured for 6 weeks. It's beautiful now as-is.

so my question is do I now put on a coat of wax for additional protection? I'm considering Renaissance wax. What do you think?

Steve Schoene
02-08-2015, 9:20 AM
The extra protection of wax is pretty minimal. Wax tends to be much easier to mess up with finger prints and the like making more work not less.

Paul Sidener
02-08-2015, 10:00 AM
You can put wax on the table. It won't hurt, I just don't know if there will be much benefit. I have never used Renaissance Wax on wood. I would take a piece of scrap, finish and test it. Renaissance Wax is one of those things that is advertised that can do it all. In my experience "do all" things can do a lot, but they usually don't do anything at a high level. I would be interested in a comparison between Renaissance Wax and another brand of wax if you go that route. I have a feeling the Renaissance Wax is going to be too expensive to use. At $20 for 200ml, the wax will cost more than the finish it's self.

Frank Drew
02-08-2015, 10:23 AM
Clay,

I agree with Steve and Paul that you won't get much benefit from wax, particularly since you think that the cured oil finish is already beautiful. Wax never fully hardens so can smudge (as Steve notes) and attracts dust.

Clay Fails
02-08-2015, 1:22 PM
Clay,

I agree with Steve and Paul that you won't get much benefit from wax, particularly since you think that the cured oil finish is already beautiful. Wax never fully hardens so can smudge (as Steve notes) and attracts dust.

Thanks for the inout. Ill do some testing and let you know.

This was my first time with polymerized tung oil. I usually use General Finishes seal a cell and arm r seal. The tung oil looks great, and I will be interested to see how well it holds up.