PDA

View Full Version : Sawmill near MD/PA border

JayStPeter
07-27-2005, 4:19 PM
There was a thread within the last few months with a title that included MD and PA that talked about a mill. The mill got unanimous praise. I remember the thread and planned to search on "MD" and "PA" to find it, but the search function disregards 2 character search strings, doh. I flipped through a number of past pages and couldn't find it.
If anyone knows the thread or the mill, please post it here. I will either bookmark it or put it into my contacts this time :o

TIA,

Jay

Joseph N. Myers
07-27-2005, 4:44 PM
Jay,

I think that your looking for http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=21418&highlight=cursing, "Lumber Source in the MD, VA, PA, and WV area". I found it by searching for "cursing" which I remember from the post.

Regards, Joe

JayStPeter
07-27-2005, 7:58 PM
Thanks Joe

Michael Gabbay
07-27-2005, 9:17 PM
Jay -

I was just at Hicksville today. Hard maple was $2.85 bf and poplar was $1.35 bf. Unfortunately I was not able to bring a trailer and my Honda Pilot can only carry so much.... :(

Mike

Bill Simmeth
07-27-2005, 9:22 PM
Hard maple was $2.85 bfMichael... did you happen to notice if they had hard maple in 12/4?

Dev Emch
07-27-2005, 10:19 PM
So does anyone know if these folks carry quarter sawn lumber such as white oak, etc?

Thanks

Keith Christopher
07-27-2005, 10:58 PM
In northern MD (up past fallston) there is Frank Parson's saw mill. Best to go there on a hot or cold day. It is rumored he doesn't like the hot or cold and will work with you to get out of the sun faster. :) In all seriousness, he is excellent and knows his business. I would ALWAYS call beforehand, he gets some odd shipments of logs in and he often had excellent stock.

Keith

JayStPeter
07-28-2005, 8:43 AM
Michael... did you happen to notice if they had hard maple in 12/4?

Funny ... I was going to ask the same thing :cool:

Jay

Michael Gabbay
07-28-2005, 6:54 PM
I did not notice if they had 12/4 maple in the yard but I'm sure that they do.

Dev - they carry quatersawn, curly, quilted, you name it. Sometimes it is hit or miss on what they have in the yard. I guess when I was there they had just gotten a load of maple. As I was driving out I saw a 18 wheeler full of what looked like oak and maybe poplar pulling in.
Mike

Gail O'Rourke
07-28-2005, 8:29 PM
There is a great sawmill called Spacht Sawmill, they are outside of Norristown PA, about 45 west of Phili...in case anyone is out that way.