PDA

View Full Version : Chicagoland wood sources

martyphee
07-27-2005, 3:51 PM
The last wood I bought was from WI and I got a great price. A three plus hour trip with a friend who was buying 4000bf, so I piggybacked on his order.

Here is the options as I see them in Chicago land

Owl - good selection and varity, but most 4/4 stock is actually 3/4" thick and over priced. My guess is their dealing with contractors more.
Rockler/Woodcraft - Limited selection and over priced. Last time I was there I needed a piece of walnut and they had maybe five boards
Morris - too far
Kirkland - again, too far and pretty much only 4/4 stock.

Any other options that I'm missing.

Dan Racette
07-27-2005, 4:17 PM
the hardwood connection in Sycamore?

martyphee
07-27-2005, 4:38 PM
I've been there. Most specialty woods.

Russ Filtz
07-27-2005, 4:55 PM
I've only been to Kirkland once a few years back, but since they do their own stuff, couldn't they saw up some stuff thicker than 4/4 for you? Of course it's all local trees there, so any exotics, you're stuck with Owl or Sycamore.

Joseph N. Myers
07-27-2005, 5:02 PM
Marty,

Did you try woodfinder.com. Put in your zip code, what you want, distance you would travel and hope for the best. Make sure you include all options to get the best matches. BTW, woodfinder charges a fee to be listed so there are probably so wood sources in your area that will not be listed.

Regards, Joe

Jason Tuinstra
07-27-2005, 6:31 PM
You mentioned most of the places that I went to when I lived in NW Indiana. I don't know how far you are from Valparaiso (sp?), but I used to get most of my wood from a place called White's Lumber. They're a bit off the beaten path, but I always got great deals on cherry there - $3.75 ish. They had a good amount of domestics, but you might want to call before you go to check their supply. Also, they mostly had 4/4 stock. For 8/4 I went to Owl. Hope this helps.

Jay Knepper
07-27-2005, 10:58 PM
Kirkland is the best, then Owl, then the abyss...

If you need imported hardwoods or sheet goods, Owl is your choice. Otherwise Kirkland is well worth the trip. I've bought lots of 8/4 and 5/4 there. I can buy and transport enough wood in a day to keep me busy for a few months.

I don't know about the WI suppliers. One of them (near Milwaukee, I believe) attended the WW shows and appeared to have good prices.

Earl Reid
07-27-2005, 11:26 PM
When I lived in the Chicago area I bought a lot of my lumber and supplies from Paul Bunyun on Wiriton rd in Blue Island. I was there a few yrs ago.
Earl

Russ Massery
07-28-2005, 12:19 AM
Sorry to say Earl paul bunyun is long gone. I miss them very much:rolleyes:. Marty if you P.M. me I can give direction to a sawyer in the south suburbs. Great prices it's mostly local stuff.

Pete Lamberty
07-28-2005, 9:21 AM
There used to be a place called Wood World. They had a store in Chicago and one in either Niles or Glenview. I haven't been there in years so don't know if they still exist.