PDA

View Full Version : The move is DONE!

Dan Hintz
02-07-2015, 11:38 AM
I was finally able to get my workshop equipment moved over to the new house, so no more back-and-forth (which should cut down on wear/tear on both the car AND me). The downside is, I don't have anything roughed in for the new shop, not even electrical :( Looks like I have my work cut out for me :-/ But at least this means I'll have room for a fiber laser, and maybe I'll finally break down and purchase a quality table saw. :D

The good news is it appears we have a buyer for our old house (next door neighbors at old place), so that will be off of our hands in the next 30 days (assuming everything goes to schedule). Looks like I'll have to rent a small Penske and load up the remaining suff.

Ted Calver
02-07-2015, 11:40 AM
Congratulations, Dan. Not a lot of fun, but worth it in the long run.

Dan Hintz
02-07-2015, 1:31 PM
(Much) bigger shop, so yes, definitely worth it for that alone. I had to walk away and hide my eyes on a few pieces being moved... one slip and someone was likely going to the morgue.

Steve Rozmiarek
02-07-2015, 9:04 PM
Congrats Dan, I bet that feels good. I've got to ask, what is a flame polisher?

Mike Chance in Iowa
02-07-2015, 9:06 PM
Congratulations. We are just finishing up our move too and it's exhausting. We bought some forks for the tractor and oh wow did that make a difference with moving some of the big stuff!

Dan Hintz
02-08-2015, 9:05 AM
Congrats Dan, I bet that feels good. I've got to ask, what is a flame polisher?
It uses electricity to split the hydrogen from the oxygen in water... that is then piped to a handle and lit. The resultant flame is extremely hot, but controllable, and the byproduct is mostly water vapor.

Congratulations. We are just finishing up our move too and it's exhausting. We bought some forks for the tractor and oh wow did that make a difference with moving some of the big stuff!
Removing stuff from the old house was a direct walkout from the basement and a push up a gentle incline. The new house was a flat push to the basement but then down 11 steps. Watching a 700 pound lathe on wheels lowered down a 45 degree ramp, help up only by two guys in their 50's and 60s, well... it was scary.

George Bokros
02-08-2015, 9:12 AM
My father-in-law actually put a Bridgeport milling machine in his basement. They laid planks down the steps and used a come-along (not sure what they attached it to) through the window at the top of the steps to winch it down the steps.

After my father-in-law passed my brother-in-law was successful in selling the Bridgeport and got it out of the basement using a cable through the window hooked to a truck bumper to pull the Bridgeport up the steps. Obvisously it was disassembled both times.

Good old ingenuity.