PDA

View Full Version : Bench Planes by the numbers--purposes

Dan Racette
07-27-2005, 2:32 PM
Could someone brief me or send me a link that describes the intended purpose for the 1-8 planes that stanley had set up? I mean, what do I use a #1 for, vs. a #2.

Just wanted to know for my own knowledge and can't seem to find an excerpt or anything to describe.

Erin Raasch
07-27-2005, 2:49 PM
Dan,

Patrick Leach's Blood and Gore is considered THE ultimate reference site for Stanley planes and offers a wealth of information about all of the various plane numbers. If you can't find it there, Stanley probably didn't make it. :D

Patrick's Blood and Gore (http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan0a.html)

Please bear in mind that Patrick tends to be a tad opinionated about some of Stanley's offerings. ;)

Erin

Michael Perata
07-27-2005, 4:03 PM
what do I use a #1 for, vs. a #2.
Paper weights to hold plans down in you shop when the shop door is open and its windy outside. ;)

Dan Racette
07-27-2005, 4:07 PM
Those would be some pretty expensive paper weights!

Roger Nixon
07-27-2005, 4:08 PM
#1 A item for a collection or a substitue for cash.
#2 Tiny smoother. Kinda like a block plane with totes.
#3 Small smoother. First really useful plane in this series for most woodwork.
#4 Most common smoother. Good for most projects.
#4 1/2 Biggest smoother. It's popluarity has increased as woodworkers trend to harder & more difficult woods.
#5 THE jack. Stanley's most common plane and one of the most useful for prepping stock.
#5 1/4 The junior jack. A good size for smaller projects.
#5 1/2 The big jack although it can also be used as a large smoother (or panel plane) depending on how the blade is sharpened and the mouth set. A very useful plane.
#6 A big jack? A short jointer? You decide. Pat Leach thoroughly dissed this size and it seems his opinion seems to have hurt its popularity. Many folks love 'em and they can often be had for bargain prices.
#7 A try or jointer plane. A very popular plane and very useful plane. If I had only one, this would be it.
#8 A jointer. It can be used for flattening large surfaces but its real purpose is jointing edges.

Dan Racette
07-27-2005, 4:13 PM
That explains it well on patricks site, and on rogers reply.

So maybe I could pose it differently: What would I go out and buy a brand new LN #1 or #2 for? What do people today use it for?

Just full of questions, I am.

D

Hank Knight
07-27-2005, 4:41 PM
That explains it well on patricks site, and on rogers reply.

... What would I go out and buy a brand new LN #1 or #2 for? What do people today use it for?

Just full of questions, I am.

D

To get rid of a lot of extra cash? I can't think of any other reason you'd want to buy a brand new shiny #1 or #2.
I think people use them for decoration.
Seriously, I've heard comments that some people buy them as investments, hoping they will become valuable collector's items like the old Stanleys. I don't think I'll live that long.
The reason the old Stanley's are valuable is that they are rare. They're rare because Stanley didn't make many of them. Stanley didn't make many of them because people didn't buy many of them. People didn't buy many of them because, in those days, they weren't interested in decorating their homes/shops/offices with shiny little wood planes, and they weren't much use for anything else.

Steve Wargo
07-27-2005, 5:34 PM
Actually my 7 year old has a LN#2. It is perfect for kids, and much cheaper than a Stanley #2.

Roy Wall
07-27-2005, 5:42 PM
Actually my 7 year old has a LN#2. It is perfect for kids, and much cheaper than a Stanley #2.

THis is EXACTLY the reason I got my 6 yr old daughter the same tool:) :)

However, she likes the LN 102 better..........:cool: :D :)

Steve Cox
07-27-2005, 6:15 PM
Other than for kids or someone with really small hands, there is no need for a 1 or 2. Personally that applies for a 3 as well since I have pretty large hands. The most comfortable for me are either a 5 1/2 or a 6 for most tasks.