PDA

View Full Version : I want one!

Larry Edgerton
02-07-2015, 8:07 AM
I have been looking at these for a while but have no real need. But I want one anyway. For less that the cost of a Miata......

http://turbosawmill.com/

Lee Schierer
02-07-2015, 8:36 AM
Maybe it costs less than a Miata, but it won't be nearly as much fun on the curvy mountain highway.

Scott Hackler
02-07-2015, 10:55 AM
I want(ed) one too until I saw the prices.... Dang they are proud of those!

Art Mann
02-07-2015, 11:43 AM
I think I would prefer a band saw mill. There are many good ones manufactured in the US and service and training is readily available. I would guess the overall output per dollar is better on domestic mills too. I will admit it is a cool looking machine though.

Eduard Nemirovsky
02-07-2015, 1:23 PM
Cool machine
Ed.

Tom M King
02-07-2015, 1:37 PM
I've been tempted several times to buy a band mill, but getting a log milled doesn't really cost that much if you can get the log to the mill. I wouldn't want a mill without a loader, and since I already have the loader, and trailer, I can get a log to a mill anyway. As much fun as it would be to have a mill, it's just something else that has to be kept up. I used to own a big chainsaw mill, but quickly tired of it, and sold it. I'll leave the milling to the full time millers.

Andrew Joiner
02-07-2015, 2:09 PM
I wanted a mill ever since I was a kid. The adult in me keeps saying it doesn't make economic sense. Even if I had a free source of logs I'd still have the mill and blades to maintain and a tractor or loader to move and lift logs. Then drying the lumber takes time, money and labor.

Instead of a sawmill I get my kicks from re-sawing on my band saw. It's very satisfying to slice up large pieces of wood.

Phil Thien
02-07-2015, 5:41 PM
I've been tempted several times to buy a band mill, but getting a log milled doesn't really cost that much if you can get the log to the mill. I wouldn't want a mill without a loader, and since I already have the loader, and trailer, I can get a log to a mill anyway. As much fun as it would be to have a mill, it's just something else that has to be kept up. I used to own a big chainsaw mill, but quickly tired of it, and sold it. I'll leave the milling to the full time millers.

I've watched it done with, and without a loader.

With loader gets my vote.