PDA

View Full Version : Recently recieved the MVT(magic veneer trimmer),along with some other veneering tools

Max Neu
02-06-2015, 6:28 PM
I posted a while back asking about a blade choice for cutting veneer with a table saw,and some of the members here were interested in seeing this jig once I got it,so I thought I would share some pictures of it,along with some other new items I recently got.306287306288Here is the MVT in the closed position.
306289306290I had some scrap Ziracote,so I made this little design.The MVT makes this kind of work quick and easy.
306291Here is the Virutex veneer cutter,sort of like a papercutter on steroids.
306292This is a Veritas string cutter,works good for small runs.Next time I need to make stringing,I am going to try it on the MVT.
306294Here is the flip top press,this really makes life good for veneering.I ended up getting the 4'x10',I am glad I got the 10',it has come in really handy lately when I need something over 8' that I can't get out of a sheet of plywood.

Max Neu
02-06-2015, 6:38 PM
306295I upgraded my pump while I was at it,this is a Vacu Pump Hi-Flo,very nice unit.

306296This is the first job I did using the MVT,almost felt like cheating!This is a bar top made from Alder and walnut (prior to finishing),with brass inlay's.
Another nice item I bought (don't have a picture of it),is a SpeedHeat blanket (speedheat.us),it works very well this time of year for keeping everything warm while pressing veneer.It heats up to 100 degrees,which is ideal for UF and plastic resin glues.It works much better than the typical household electric blankets made for beds.

Jamie Buxton
02-06-2015, 7:27 PM
Another nice item I bought (don't have a picture of it),is a SpeedHeat blanket (speedheat.us),it works very well this time of year for keeping everything warm while pressing veneer.It heats up to 100 degrees,which is ideal for UF and plastic resin glues.It works much better than the typical household electric blankets made for beds.

I looked at that web site. Didn't see anything called a blanket, but there is something that looks like a blanket which they call the RugBuddy. Is that what you're talking about? It costs $250 for a 5'x7' size. In what ways is it better than the usual household electric blanket for veneering?

Max Neu
02-06-2015, 7:46 PM
Jamie,
Yes,it is called the Rug Buddy,I forgot that was the actual name of it.They get alot warmer than a regular household heating blanket,the heating elements are alot closer together for more even heat,they don't shut off after a couple of hours,like most blankets do now.They are just made alot better for this sort of use in my opinion.Darryl Kiehl (owner of VacuPress) turned me onto these a while back.