PDA

View Full Version : mobile base for tablesaw question

cody michael
02-06-2015, 7:47 AM
if I built a base, setup will look like picture attached, with the wheels underneath the saw rather then at the edge, could I then lift the right side of the saw (grabbing the extension table) to move it around with stressing anything on the saw? my extension table is granite (so heavy 150-200lbs i'm guessing), and I am planning on putting in a shelf or 2 underneath the table for extra storage.

cody michael
02-06-2015, 7:51 AM
my original plan was to copy this design from another post, but if it could balance well enough and not stress the saw, just moving it by hand would be easier then using this system.306201306202306203

cody michael
02-06-2015, 1:47 PM
any opinions if I can do this (set it to move by hand) if not I will balance it differently and just go with dolly setup like the picturs

Rick Potter
02-07-2015, 2:19 PM
If you want to move it by hand, why not just put swivel locking wheels on the extension end, with non swivel on the saw end? Steel wheels, as shown, would be great, as they will not take a 'set'.

Charles Li
02-07-2015, 3:03 PM
I had a thread exploring this option for a smaller table. I have yet to get to the project. I'm making a a tablesaw Mobile base too. I got lazy and did similar as previously suggested - 4 swivel casters with two locking. I went cheap and the wheels lock but not the swivel action. I'm a little worried about I swiveling while in use. I haven't used it yet (have yet to cut the hole for dust collection. But, a lot of people do this. And it does move great. The effectiveness probably has a lot of factors. The weight of your saw, type of wheels, type of floor, etc... If mine doesn't work out I'll do something that retracts the wheels allowing it to sit on the legs during normal use.

cody michael
02-12-2015, 1:48 PM
This is what I came up with, I need to get it painted and put the saw in it.

I did a test with just a wood dowel under the saw and it seems possible to lift the outfeed side to move it, I will see how it actually works with the saw on it, and decide if I need casters or a dolly type unit to make moving it easier. I think it cost about 60$ with metal and wheels, could have got the metal alot cheaper with thinner but wanted heavy duty.