PDA

View Full Version : Basic Computer Operation Instructions

Bobby Hatfield
05-31-2003, 3:58 PM
Where do I need to go for FAQ for basic computer operation, updated my virus program and now I can't access my email server. No kids around to help with this new fangled machine.

John Miliunas
05-31-2003, 11:00 PM
Gonna' need a bit more info than that, Bobby. "Can't access your email server?" This sounds like something Norton Anti-Virus may be responsible for. I've heard of stuff like this before, but can't remember exactly what it was. I'd recommend you hit the web site for whatever AV program you're running and check there, first. My instinct says that the AV program modified your email client information to do "real-time" email scanning. :cool:

Bobby Hatfield
06-01-2003, 8:14 AM
Thanks John, the Virus program is Proland and it may have caused it and it could have been me, it sends mail but not receive mail. It sucks to be so backwoods dumb about computers, if it was mechanical it would be so simple. Will have my computer guru make a house call next week and take some more of my money, if he wont walk me through email setup.

John Miliunas
06-01-2003, 8:55 AM
Bobby, I'm not familiar with that particular flavor of AV app., but we should be able to get through this. I checked out their site and their online documentation leaves a bit to be desired. One can submit a question via online email, but that won't do you any good if the problem you have is receiving email in the first place!:( I'll try to see if I can't get some answers remotely for you. Again, will need a bit of input from you.
1) What operating system are you running? (Win98, ME, 2000, XP)
2) What version of the Proland application do you have?
3) What update did you download and apply?
4) What email client (program) are you using? (Outlook, Outlook Express, Eudora, Netscrape, Pegasus, etc....)

Fill in the blanks and I'll try to act as a go-between for you. If you'd rather "Private Message" or email me (seeing as to how you can do that part) directly, that's cool, too. My email is: at5vette@execpc.com .

We'll try to see if we can't square this away for you without giving your TS guy more of your tool monies! :D :D :cool:

Glenn Clabo
06-01-2003, 8:59 AM
Bobby,
If it makes you feel better...setting up an email account ain't really basic. There is a bunch of info you need from your ISP so it's hard to do it without knowing your setup. It's best to see if someone from you ISP will walk you through it. Did you try their support number? It wouldn't take long if you caught someone who knows what he's doing and then you'd have the added advantage of knowing what got hosed up.

Of course there's always the BFH...:p

Oops...John and I crossed posts...Go for it John!

Bobby Hatfield
06-01-2003, 9:43 AM
Thanks Guys, time for church, get back to you after lunch.

Bobby Hatfield
06-01-2003, 3:56 PM
Glenn I have been reading up on that 54g router and like the mobility, is the RJ 45 cable slower ? Also does the cable have the same connector on each end, or 180' out, still confused over that twisted wire thang.

Jackie Outten
06-02-2003, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Bobby Hatfield
Thanks John, the Virus program is Proland and it may have caused it and it could have been me, it sends mail but not receive mail. It sucks to be so backwoods dumb about computers, if it was mechanical it would be so simple. Will have my computer guru make a house call next week and take some more of my money, if he wont walk me through email setup.

Bobby,

It sounds like your outgoing mail server has changed. If you are using Outlook Express, go to Tools and click on Accounts. Look under the mail tab and find your email account name. Highlight the account and select properties on the right hand side. Look at the tabs at the top of the page and select servers. Then look at your incoming and outgoing mail servers and see if anything has changed. If it has you can make a correction here. If you do make a change make sure to hit the "Apply" button at the bottom of the page.

Jackie

Glenn Clabo
06-02-2003, 2:45 PM
Originally posted by Bobby Hatfield
Glenn I have been reading up on that 54g router and like the mobility, is the RJ 45 cable slower ? Also does the cable have the same connector on each end, or 180' out, still confused over that twisted wire thang.

Booby,
The twisted wire thing blew my simple mind also so I held off until the routers caught up to our speed requirements and didn't really spend any time on it.

Actually never ran a comparison...but this wireless thing is beyond nice and at least seems as fast as wired. I don't have any cables beyond the one coming into the house and to the router. Then my desktop and laptops have wireless cards. Of course the desktop is locked to the wall due to power needs...but the laptops float all over the house and deck...which on a day like today is a nice place to work from.

If you only have a desktop that won't move and no laptop...really no reason to go wireless IMHO. If you plan to move things around and don't want to run cables...it's great.

Tom Sweeney
06-02-2003, 2:59 PM
in your email client, Like Jackie said.

norton will also do this sometimes. IE: if your email server is pop3.whatever.com
smtp.whatever.com

Then the AV program will change it to

pop3.norton.whatever.com
smtp.norton.whatever.com

I had this happen once before. If you have Outlook it is easy to change back. Just do what Jackie said & you should be back in business.

hope this helps

Bobby Hatfield
06-02-2003, 7:02 PM
Thanks everyone, my cable computer guy walked me through the setup and I found somthing changed, either by me accidently or the virus update, now everything in email land is lovely.