PDA

View Full Version : Chicago Area Woodworkers

Mike Tagge
02-05-2015, 3:20 PM
I live in the north burbs of Chicago and would love to find some other woodworkers in the area or join maybe even start a club. Anyone out there with interest in or knowledge of woodworking clubs in the area?

Mike Circo
02-05-2015, 3:39 PM
Welcome to the site, and welcome to the woodworking community.

I've been doing woodworking in the NW Chicago area (Algonquin) for 25 years (I still suck at it), and don't know any local clubs or organizations.
The closest I have found is a group that meets in Batavia. (don't have the name handy)

Utilize this forum first, ask questions and jump in.
For local questions, myself and others will be glad to work with you either here or offline.

again
Welcome!

Jon Nuckles
02-05-2015, 6:50 PM
Mike T.,
I live in Chicago (Bucktown, though my shop is in West Humboldt Park). I'm not aware of any woodworking clubs in the area. The Chicago Furniture Designers' Association might be of interest, though I don't know anything about them beyond what is on their website. There are also 3 turning clubs that meet in the suburbs. Send me a pm if you want to talk woodworking or arrange a shop visit!
Jon

David Dockstader
02-06-2015, 10:34 AM
Depending on how far north you are, I would suggest you join us at the Fox Valley Woodworking Club. We are a very active club of a little over 100 woodworkers. We have members who travel from as far away as Rockford and Ottawa every month, so you're probably closer than they are. We have everyone from the greenest beginner to experts and artisans and our members range in age from 13 to 80+. We meet at Bethany Lutheran Church, 8 S. Lincoln, Batavia, Illinois. The meetings are on the first Tuesday of each month (Sorry, you just missed it this week). Doors open at 6:30 p.m. and the General Meeting begins officially at 7:30 p.m. Our web site is fvwwc.org (It hasn't been updated for next month's meeting yet, but you can see all of our old newsletters, past and upcoming programs, scheduled events and our history). I think you'd find it a very interesting and enjoyable group. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me. I look forward to seeing you.