PDA

View Full Version : Converting a JPEG file to Corel Draw

Larry Browning
07-27-2005, 11:51 AM
I have a JPEG file that I would like to be laser engraved onto a wooden baseball bat that I turned for my son. The engraving shop tells me that it needs to be in Corel Draw format. Would any of you guys be willing to convert it for me?
It is really pretty simple. Just a logo label and a signature for the barrel end of the bat. Should these be in separate files?

Thanks,

Larry

Mike Mackenzie
07-27-2005, 12:03 PM
Larry,

The engraving shop should be able to just IMPORT the Jpeg file into Corel. It is very easy to do.

Shaddy Dedmore
07-27-2005, 12:15 PM
hmmm, maybe they meant for you to have it converted into a Vector file (eps. or .ai...) Could that be it?

But I think the Raster (jpg) format should be fine for them to use. Just like Mike said, they just have to import it. Since they aren't cutting anything out, I don't think they need it to be Vector for that, so Jpg should be fine.

I could import it into Corel then save it for you, but I don't think that's what they meant to have happen.

To convert it to Vector, you could post the jpg here and a few would probably take a stab at it for practice, or you could pay 9 to 18 dollasrs and have this guy do it
http://home.wi.rr.com/bertrandart/vector_art.html
He's good. I've used him quite a few times.

Shaddy

Bruce Volden
07-27-2005, 12:17 PM
Larry,

Sent you a PM.
Bruce

Larry Browning
07-27-2005, 2:07 PM
Hey guys,
My understanding is that he will charge me extra to convert my file and "clean it up" (whatever that means). But to me, this file is pretty high quality to begin with and I don't know what clean up he would need to do. So I thought if someone here at the creek were willing to convert this file for me into something that could be used by the engraver, it would save me a buck or 2.

Larry

Bob Tate
07-27-2005, 2:21 PM
I use Illustrator CS2 which has a wonderful conversion utility. It really depends on the complexity of the graphic. If you want to send it to me I will give it a shot. If you need; bobt@flextec.net

Larry Browning
07-27-2005, 2:28 PM
I don't have the file with me right now (I'm at work), but I will get it to you later today or tomorrow. Also, should I break it up into 2 files (Label and signature) or just leave it as one file?

Larry

Bob Tate
07-27-2005, 2:40 PM
Either way would be fine with me. I can do anything I need to with it. Not to brag, I am sitting here with half a million dollars in software and hardware for graphics. I have 13 computers in my office. That is because I run the Prepress department for a large printing company. The owner calls it my hobby shop. Bring it on bud. If I can help you out I will be all over it.

Bob

Larry Browning
07-28-2005, 10:14 AM
Bob, (or anyone else who will do this for me)
I have attached the 2 JPG files that need to be converted to corel draw.

I had to compress them to allow them to be posted. (hope this isn't a problem)

Thanks fo doing this for me,

Larry

Alina Roata
07-28-2005, 12:13 PM
Hi Larry,

In case you need an extra one...

Alina

Bruce Volden
07-28-2005, 7:55 PM
Try this, it should work if you bring it to the engraver on disk. That is if I can figure out how to get it here!!!???

Bruce

Bob Tate
07-28-2005, 10:58 PM
Hi Larry, looks like I was a day late and a dollar short. Bruce did a wonderful job. I apologize for not getting here sooner.

Bob

Larry Browning
07-29-2005, 9:32 AM
Alina and Bruce,
Thank you very much for taking the time to convert my files. I will take this file to the engraver as soon as I get the bat finished. I will also post a picture of the finished bat after I get it engraved.

By the way, is there a way to view this file without having corel draw?
And one more question. Should I put the finish on the bat before I have it engraved or after?

Thanks again to every one who was willing to help me with this.

Larry

Bruce Volden
07-29-2005, 9:58 AM
Larry,

Go ahead a finish the bat. Occasionally "smoke" from lasering will migrate into the wood and give it a yellowish tint, finishing will prevent this from happening.
Looking froward to seeing the results.
Unless you have CorelDraw you will not see the file I sent, however, it should look just like the you sent (only smaller now since it has been vectorized)!!??

Bob Tate
07-29-2005, 11:21 AM
You could view the image without CorelDraw if you downloaded the trial version of ThumbsPlus from http://www.cerious.com/It is a pretty nifty utility that allows viewing of just about every file format out there.

Bob

Abdul Baseer Hai
08-01-2005, 4:46 PM
Larry
I was playing around with your Browningbat files and managed t convert them into corel 12 format. Does this serve your purpose

abdul