PDA

View Full Version : Lock miter master jig?

Greg Urwiller
02-05-2015, 10:44 AM
I'm finally ready to experiment with using a lock miter to make some legs. I was going to order the Infinity Lock Miter Master Jig. But I see they offer some set-up blocks also. The jig will set up any size(the way I read it?) for different stock thickness but the blocks are size specific. Since I've never done this before, will I be better off with the jig? Or should I just get the blocks and size my stock to 3/4" each time? Thanks. Greg

Frank Drew
02-05-2015, 11:20 AM
Greg,

I think that a lock miter can be an excellent joint in certain applications but set up can be fussy; if the blocks make setting up easier then I think they could be worth the price of admission (depending on the price, I guess, and how much you end up using the cutters themselves.)

Rod Sheridan
02-05-2015, 12:45 PM
I'm finally ready to experiment with using a lock miter to make some legs. I was going to order the Infinity Lock Miter Master Jig. But I see they offer some set-up blocks also. The jig will set up any size(the way I read it?) for different stock thickness but the blocks are size specific. Since I've never done this before, will I be better off with the jig? Or should I just get the blocks and size my stock to 3/4" each time? Thanks. Greg

I use the opposite approach, I make my own blocks.

In my case I have a 20mm pair of blocks I made.

Dimension some extra material to the thickness you want.

Set up the bit and keep the working example as the master for your next project...........Rod.

Bill Huber
02-05-2015, 2:08 PM
I have tried to use the blocks and for me they did not work very well.

I have the jigs and they work really well and for any thickness of wood. When I got them and did my first set up it took like one test and it was done.
So I would get the jigs.

Mike Schuch
02-05-2015, 5:43 PM
I have tried to use the blocks and for me they did not work very well.

I have the jigs and they work really well and for any thickness of wood. When I got them and did my first set up it took like one test and it was done.
So I would get the jigs.

Do the jigs work with any lock miter cutter? I have a Grizzly shaper cutter... the thought of a quick one step setup sounds very appealing!

Chris Padilla
02-05-2015, 6:23 PM
Here is a thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?203285-Lock-Miter-Bit-setup) on the jig.

Greg Urwiller
02-06-2015, 4:37 PM
Bill, do you use the smaller jig? I really don't anticipate using thinner stock than 3/4", or maybe I should say that I can't see why I would want to. And right now I just have a larger LM cutter. I'm not trying to cut corners (cost) but why pay twice as much for something I'll never use?

Bill Huber
02-06-2015, 4:42 PM
Bill, do you use the smaller jig? I really don't anticipate using thinner stock than 3/4", or maybe I should say that I can't see why I would want to. And right now I just have a larger LM cutter. I'm not trying to cut corners (cost) but why pay twice as much for something I'll never use?

No I have never used it at this time, I do have a smaller miter bit and never used it.
I do believe that the jib will work with any of them.

If you send Alan Schaffter a PM I am sure he could answer all and any of your question.