PDA

View Full Version : Cherry stock for cabriole legs

Bill Sampson
07-27-2005, 11:16 AM
I am in the process of building an American lowboy and am having difficulty finding 10/4 or 12/4 stock for the legs in the Richmond, VA area.
Will be in the Lancaster, Pa area next week and thought those of you in the area may know of mills where I can purchase this lumber.
Keith, as I was writing this, I remembered that your neighbor has lumber. Would he possibly have what I need?

Bill Sampson, Richmond

Donnie Raines
07-27-2005, 12:03 PM
You may want to consider "makeing" your own....I did that often. Choose the appropriate grain direction and laminate them...you would never tell the diffrence if done properly.

For what thats worth...

Tom Seaman
07-27-2005, 1:09 PM
Bill,

Have you tried Siewers over near the Diamond? Also, Northland Forest Products just east of Charlottesville (in Troy) usually has a lot of thick cherry. It is a little drive to get there, but the prices are good, and its a good excuse to stock up for the next few projects. :D

Michael Ballent
07-27-2005, 1:17 PM
You may want to consider "makeing" your own....I did that often. Choose the appropriate grain direction and laminate them...you would never tell the diffrence if done properly.

For what thats worth...

One thing to keep in mind when you are selecting stock for the cabriole legs, make sure that the wood grain is running diagonally from corner to corner when looking at the end grain. This should help with the strength of the wood and also keep the grain flowing better with the curves you will cut.

Steve Wargo
07-27-2005, 1:19 PM
West Penn Hardwoods should have what you need. IMHO, go with the 12/4 and do not laminate. Glue lines will kill your carving tools.

Tim Sproul
07-27-2005, 3:08 PM
One thing to keep in mind when you are selecting stock for the cabriole legs, make sure that the wood grain is running diagonally from corner to corner when looking at the end grain.

Rift sawn. That's the term you're looking for :). It is often the edge of most plainsawn boards.

Rift is great for legs. It is also great if you like to work oaks but don't want much ray and fleck in rails and stiles.

Kirk (KC) Constable
07-28-2005, 12:30 AM

For what thats worth...

Just my opinion of course, but I can't imagaine why anyone would laminate blanks for an heirloom project like a lowboy/highboy. My experience has been that you can ALWAYS tell the difference, no matter how well done. Several mail order places for 12/4 cherry...I got some last month from www.cswoods.com

Alan Turner
07-28-2005, 4:35 AM
Bill,
You should have no trouble finding 12/4 rift sawn at Groff & Groff, in Quarryville, which is not far at all. If they don't have it, try Hearne Hardwoods, just up the raod about 20-30 min. 717-284-0001

Donnie Raines
07-28-2005, 8:16 AM
Just my opinion of course, but I can't imagaine why anyone would laminate blanks for an heirloom project like a lowboy/highboy. My experience has been that you can ALWAYS tell the difference, no matter how well done. Several mail order places for 12/4 cherry...I got some last month from www.cswoods.com

Everyone is entitled to their opinion of coarse...but I have done it, and I know a few pro's that do it when they are unable to find the appropriate stock. Were we standing in front of a Lowboy I made for parents, I suspect you would not have known I laminated the legs....

However, I agree....if you can find the appropriate thickness with the rift sawn cut your in buisness...and I would choose that if readily available, simply to make the process speedier.

Bill Sampson
07-28-2005, 3:20 PM
Thanks to all who responded to my question about 12/4 cherry stock. I did consider lamination, but wasn't happy with the grain match. The case and drawers are from the same tree and I want the match of the legs to be close.
I called Northland in Troy and was told they had 12/4 stock. Went there today, but all they had was one 10/4 piece that was 50% sap wood. Called Groff and Groff; they have the size needed but not in a rift cut. Will look at it next week when in the area.
All was not lost in my trip to Northland. I found some very nice 4/4 cherry @ $3.65 bf and 4/4 poplar for drawers @ $1.00 bf. It just wouldn't be right to come home with nothing, would It?
Thanks again for the help.
Bill Sampson, Richmond