PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening Carbide Inserts

Scott Brandstetter
02-04-2015, 11:23 PM
I have a few carbide insert tools and wondered if my method of trying to sharpen the inserts is working. I simply remove the insert, put a drop or two of oil on the sharpening stone and move it around a bit. What makes me wonder is I went ahead and ordered new inserts, installed one and wow, I don't remember the tool ever being this sharp. It got me thinking that just sharpening the "face" isn't enough. Any thoughts or suggestions on this.

Shawn Pachlhofer
02-04-2015, 11:40 PM
I use a 600 grit diamond card to touch up a carbide insert.

Only thing it needs is a bit of rubbing on the top - I move it around in a figure-8 on the card.

it doesn't get quite as sharp as they are new - but it does get a bit more life from the insert.

Don McClure
02-05-2015, 7:40 AM
I use the same procedure for mine and get about the same results....I do not touch the bevels, just the flat surface. This method does elp though.

Harry Goodwin
02-05-2015, 8:29 AM
Mine are O K with that rubbing on the back but next time I am going to use the diamond hone on the bevels by turning the chip
upside down and secure on the tool and hone away with a good support. HG

Bruce Lewane
02-05-2015, 8:45 AM
I do both the top and the bevel with a 600 grit diamond card. They come out brand new (at least with the Easy Tool/Capt. Eddie cutter configuration.) Haven't worked on the cupped carbides. I once posted a video on an easy jig for sharpening round cutters. I'll try to find it. It works.

Peter Blair
02-05-2015, 9:54 AM
I for one would like to see or find reference to your Jig Bruce.

Thom Sturgill
02-05-2015, 10:02 AM
I ... put a drop or two of oil on the sharpening stone and move it around a bit...

If you are using a 'stone' you need to use a diamond or CBN hone. Carbide is probably harder than any sharpening stone.

Reed Gray
02-05-2015, 12:27 PM
Dave Schweitzer had a CBN hone, 600 on the fine side, and 320 on the more coarse side. CBN does work for carbide, but not nearly as well as diamond.

robo hippy

Bruce Lewane
02-06-2015, 9:04 AM
I for one would like to see or find reference to your Jig Bruce.

Here you go. http://youtu.be/mCX4lMssxcU
The carbide sharpening part starts at the 11 minute mark though the whole video is worth watching. (As are his other videos.)
Truthfully my jig is somewhat different but the principle is the same.
I just use a 1/2 inch drill chuck to hold the little assembly that holds the cutter.
It does work well.

Peter Blair
02-06-2015, 11:07 AM
Thanks Bruce!

Eric Gourieux
02-07-2015, 11:24 PM
I've tried sharpening my carbide cutters and never got them as sharp as new. No more sharpening carbide for me! Here is where I get my square cutters.

www.globaltooling.bizhosting.com

Then go to "carbide insert knives"

For under $3.00 per cutter, it is no longer worth it for me. I bought the square cutters for "Byrd" Shelix 15 x 15 x 2.5mm (it's the 12th down on the list) , and I also bought the 12 x 12 x 1.5mm (first on the list) at $1.56 per cutter. I get my round carbide cutters from Captain Eddie. I don't use much carbide, but it does come in handy at times.

Bruce Lewane
02-10-2015, 9:26 AM
True enough.
The cutters have come down in price to the point
that sharpening is not much of an issue
but
every couple weeks I spend a number of hours
on maintenance and fine tuning the shop and the tools,
(When I am producing, things can get messy fast) and sharpening carbides is as much a habit as
grinding gouges.
It's a kind of meditation.
Giving me time to decide
what's next.