PDA

View Full Version : Craigslist Item, Performax 16-32

Scott Brandstetter
02-04-2015, 11:18 PM
Anyone have any thoughts on this system? Seller asking $550. Haven't seen it yet, only the picture. Not sure why but the price seem reasonable if it's in good working order.

Dale Murray
02-04-2015, 11:47 PM
If it is in good working order it is worth it. Whats nice is you can get any parts you need from Jet. When I bought mine I ordered a new cover to get a 4" dust port and the angle adjustment thingy from jet.

Keith Pleas
02-05-2015, 12:02 AM
If it is in good working order it is worth it. Whats nice is you can get any parts you need from Jet. When I bought mine I ordered a new cover to get a 4" dust port and the angle adjustment thingy from jet.
What's the angle adjustment thingy? I have the same machine, not Plus. And minus infeed/out feed wings. I have ordered the 4" dust port cover, but will port over the handle. I love my machine, and it's only the 1hp version! I paid $300 on CL with 6 rolls.

Scott Brandstetter
02-05-2015, 12:21 AM
Follow up to my original post. What are considered the benefits of a drum sander vs a planer? I have always thought that it is to get a better, finer, sanded finish, on wood that is larger than the planer. I currently own a 15 inch planer and my thoughts with the drum sander is that when I make a 32 inch or less table top, this would be the go to tool to get a smooth, final surface across the top. Am I thinking correctly?

John Sincerbeaux
02-05-2015, 2:25 AM
Follow up to my original post. What are considered the benefits of a drum sander vs a planer? I have always thought that it is to get a better, finer, sanded finish, on wood that is larger than the planer. I currently own a 15 inch planer and my thoughts with the drum sander is that when I make a 32 inch or less table top, this would be the go to tool to get a smooth, final surface across the top. Am I thinking correctly?

I don't think you can put ANY drum sander in the "planer" family. Most drum sanders are really for light duty sanding and I emphasize light duty. I think if you invasion using the performax sander for sanding a 32" table top you will be disappointed. I bought a general 24" dbl drum sander years ago and was never happy with it. You have to take very very light passes or you will burn the wood and clog the sand paper.
You have to get into the widebelt sanders to start thinking about planing.
my advice would be to take your table top or any like project to a cabinet shop and pay them to run your piece through a Widebelt. You will save a ton of money and get a superior finish.

Andrew Kertesz
02-05-2015, 8:26 AM
I agree with John in that it is a sander not a replacement for a planer. Both perform entirely different functions. If your planer gives you finish ready surfaces you may not need the sander. They work well on smaller pieces with light cuts and I like mine.

Kevin Godshall
02-05-2015, 9:28 AM
I just bought one of these sanders off of Craigslist (got mine for $250!!), and I don't know how I lived without it. Got 5 rolls of paper from ebay for $30, and installed the 100 grit. Board goes in one end with chatter, roughness, whatever, comes out the other side like a piece of glass.

Have to make sure to hook up to dust collection, it makes a pile of sawdust in no time flat. Great tool. Fantastic timesaver. Wish I bought one years ago.

Steve Peterson
02-05-2015, 10:27 AM
They are a real time saver if you make end grain cutting boards. The price is reasonable, but maybe not great depending on your area. I think there is a bit of bargaining room. Offer $450 cash and he will probably take $500.

Steve

Dale Murray
02-07-2015, 1:58 AM
Angle adjuster thingy. See item 61 on page 30.

http://www.ou.edu/aoi/images/JET%2016-32%20Drum%20Sander%20Manual.pdf

Rich Riddle
02-07-2015, 3:15 AM
It's about right on the money if you figure an old tool is worth about 50% value of the new price. The Jet model currently retails for $1119.