PDA

View Full Version : Another unusual project...

Scott T Smith
02-04-2015, 9:35 PM
Well, it's been an interesting few months. I have not been on SMC since last fall because last October my wife became ill to the point where she could not keep any food down for 10 days and had to be fed via IV. Then, as she was starting to recover I became very ill, to the point where I was housebound for almost a month. All in all my wood business was severely impacted for over three months.

Fortunately our health has rebounded and we're digging back out. I've been meaning to post a sequel to my "uncommon project" thread, in this instance instead of milling a 43' long beam we were slabbing a 72" diameter log, and I thought that my fellow SMC members may enjoy the journey.

It started when a fellow sawyer called me and told me that he was passing along a slabbing opportunity for a 203" circumference black walnut that was practically in my back yard.

Talk about heart palpation's!!!!!!

After speaking with the owner's rep, turns out that the tree was black oak..... :mad: and it was larger than 203" :D

The tree was located at Meredith College in Raleigh and was dying, and the college administration did not want to see the wood go to waste. Unfortunately there was no way to get a crane, or even a trailer for that matter into the inner courtyard where the tree was located. Fortunately my skid steer and backhoe could be threaded through one entryway; otherwise it would have been very difficult for me to tackle this project. The college hired a tree service company to remove the canopy and drop the log for us.

Normally I prefer to bring large logs to the mill, as it is easier having all of the support equipment available. In this instance it wasn't an option so we loaded up the slabber and took it to the log.

After mobilizing the equipment we trimmed the 32' log into a couple of 13'7" ones. Both logs were over 75" at their widest points so we had to do a little trimming in order to get them within my 72" max cut.

We used the skid steer to roll them apart and set up the slabber and commenced milling. Due to the height of the log, we slabbed 20" off in the first pass and set it aside for later re-slabbing. Talk about a dancing skid steer! We had to sling it in order to get the CG a few feet behind the back of the forks.

After taking a 7-1/2" and a few 4-1/2" slabs off of the log we placed the 20" slab back on and milled it into 4-1/2" ones. After that we started on the second log and then placed the bottom portion of the first log onto it for finishing. I designed my slabber primarily for quartering 40" logs, or cutting larger ones into thirds for subsequent reprocessing on our band mill, so there are a few idiosyncrasies that we have to work around when slabbing.

Many of the slabs had some really nice color and spalting:

Getting the slabs out of the courtyard was a challenge (the smallest ones weighed 2,200 lbs and the largest ones over 4000 lbs). First we tried wheeling them out like a wheelbarrow with a hand truck under one end and the skid steer under the other. We trashed the hand truck after three slabs... Next we tried tag teaming with the skid steer on one end and the backhoe on the other. This worked, but was challenging to keep in sync between the two machines. Eventually we used a 20' nylon sling to sling them to the backhoe forks, brought them through the narrow entryway and then set them on the skid steer forks for further transport to the trailer.

Here is the final result; I think that it was worthwhile. They have been treated with Timbor and placed in the air drying barn. Looks like it will be a few years before I can recover the investment, but I hope that these will turn out to be something special.

Jim Becker
02-04-2015, 9:41 PM
WOW....good stuff! Thanks for sharing! (And I'm glad that things are looking up on the health front, too)

Brian W Smith
02-05-2015, 5:10 AM
Very neat Scott,thanks for posting.Love the slabs,love the "drying barn"(if thats the building the slab is leaning on),and love working at small private colleges.But,am more happy that you and the wife are feeling better!

Bill Huber
02-05-2015, 7:40 AM
WOW what a job !!!!!

That is really awesome looking slabs.

Now to dry them and make a really nice slab table.

Brian Tymchak
02-05-2015, 8:19 AM
Great story there Scott! Thanks for posting. You must have some storage facility there to be able to park those slabs long enough to let them dry. Sorry to hear about the health problems for you and your wife but really glad to hear that you all are bouncing back.

Jesse Busenitz
02-05-2015, 8:53 AM
That is sweet! That looks like some pretty severe twist in that trunk hope you got some good weight on those slabs while they dry.

Jim Andrew
02-05-2015, 9:20 AM
Glad to see you back on the Creek!

Scott T Smith
02-05-2015, 11:11 AM
Thanks Guys.

Brian and Brian, the air drying barn is a 50 x 100 building with 16 - 20' ceilings. We usually stack the slabs up as high as we can, and the weight of the stacks helps to keep everything straight during the drying process.

Jesse, there was definitely a good twist to the butt log. We milled it extra thick in order to allow room for future surfacing. Hopefully they won't move too much.

Here is a photo of the Meredith slabs in the barn.

Bill McNiel
02-05-2015, 1:34 PM
Scott,
Glad to hear that the health issues are abating. Thank you very much for the inspiring post. I do a lot of work with live edge maple slabs that I harvested some 30 years ago but nothing compared to the amazing material you process. That tree and the slabs you salvaged from it are beyond beautiful, wish I lived close enough to you to purchase some.
Thanks again for sharing.

Andrew Joiner
02-05-2015, 5:04 PM
Scott,
Glad you are healthy and working on some healthy size slabs!
Thanks for the pics. Beautiful machinery and slabs.

Did you design and make the slab mill?

Did you use double stickers with one tapered to level the stack?

David Nelson1
02-05-2015, 5:21 PM
Awesome job ole man. Glad your feeling better!

Brian Holcombe
02-05-2015, 5:44 PM
Gorgeous! The size of those slabs is also just incredible.

Joe A Faulkner
02-05-2015, 6:46 PM
Inspiring. Simply Inspiring. Thanks for the post. Nice work!

Ted Calver
02-05-2015, 7:25 PM
I'm worn out just looking at the pictures, Scott. Glad the wife is feeling better and you are able to get back at it. I really didn't appreciate the scale of those slabs until that last picture. They are monsters.

Chris Padilla
02-05-2015, 7:46 PM
Duuuuuuuuuuuude! You do the coolest stuff! :D :D

Glad you and the missus are back on the mend!!

Bill White
02-06-2015, 12:44 PM
Talk about MONSTER wood. Good grief!
Well done sir.
Bill

Richard Wolf
02-06-2015, 8:42 PM
Nice wood and good job. Glad you and the wife are better.

Scott T Smith
02-08-2015, 6:19 AM
Scott,
Glad you are healthy and working on some healthy size slabs!
Thanks for the pics. Beautiful machinery and slabs.

Did you design and make the slab mill?

Did you use double stickers with one tapered to level the stack?

Hi all, thank for your kind words and well wishes.

Andrew, the slabber is my own design. My original goal was to build something that I could use to quarter large logs for reprocessing on a band mill. The two most common commercially available slabbers only have a maximum 10" depth. I needed something that could go much deeper (in my case 20"), so I opted to build my own). With the 20" depth I can section a 60" log into thirds, and then split the outer 1/3 slabs into quarters for reprocessing on my band mill into quartersawn lumber. Thus it allows me to maximize my yield of quarter and rift sawn lumber from oversized logs.

I started with a spare carriage for my Peterson sawmill (this helped a lot in not having to come up with the up and down adjustment mechanism), and then designed / fabricated the rest. It's primarily built from aluminum with stainless steel fasteners.

I did about a third of the TIG welding on it, and a good friend of mine who is a nuclear certified welder did the rest.

Re the stickers, several years back myself and a friend went in together and bought some surplus zebrawood from a guy on craigslist. We resold the best stuff, but about 1/3 of it was heavily checked and unsellable. I had set it aside to use for siding on a chicken coop here on the farm, but we ended up resawing it into stickers for the slabs. Since the zebrawood boards were around 1-1/8" thick, we had to double stack them in order to be thick enough for the forklift forks. No taper on the stickers, as I want to encourage the slabs to dry flat.

Scott Austin
02-08-2015, 11:00 AM
Scott, My wife was also sick around Christmas. A little less severe but, still on the scary side. Thanks for posting your sawyer adventures, I really find it interesting.

Ted Calver
02-08-2015, 11:30 AM
Re the stickers, several years back myself and a friend went in together and bought some surplus zebrawood from a guy on craigslist. We resold the best stuff, but about 1/3 of it was heavily checked and unsellable. I had set it aside to use for siding on a chicken coop here on the farm....
Now that would have been a chicken coop to see!!

julian abram
02-08-2015, 1:25 PM
Really enjoyed your post and photos, great woodworking story that most of us do not get to see very often. I'm sure your hard labors will pay dividends in the future with those beautiful slabs.

ryan paulsen
02-09-2015, 7:14 AM
Thanks for the post. I recently had a sawyer with a portable Peterson come by and saw a couple logs for me, and it was a really cool experience. I can't imagine what it would be like on logs like you are sawing! It still amazes me seeing a log that very well could be firewood turned into something beautiful. Awesome.

Chris Hachet
02-09-2015, 7:28 AM
That is impressive....I need to see you sometime next year for lumber when I build my second workbench...