PDA

View Full Version : OK. Need to QUICKLY know how to fix this

Alan Lightstone
02-04-2015, 5:13 PM
I just finished building a box for a friend. It's finished with pre-cat lacquer, multiple coats.

I wanted to just put on a quick coat of Renaissance wax on top, then buff it off.

The inside floor of the box just lost a huge amount of gloss around the edges, and buffing it doesn't improve things.

I know I now can't shoot an additional coat of pre-cat lacquer over the wax (or is there a way of removing it completely), so what can I do to fix this. It has to be delivered tomorrow for his birthday.

Steve Jenkins
02-04-2015, 5:42 PM
Depending on what it's for you could cover the bottom with felt (color of your choice).

Alan Lightstone
02-04-2015, 6:05 PM
No, the bottom is a gorgeous piece of redheart, so don't want that approach.

Could I tape off the inside walls and rub it out with pumice, rottenstone, or Menzerna polishing compound?

If I take that route, should I first try to remove all the wax with mineral spirits?

Todd Burch
02-04-2015, 6:26 PM
Is it cloudy because it absorbed moisture? If so, no amount of rubbing with de-cloud it.

Sure, you could sand it off and respray. Mineral spirits / naphtha / paint thinner / automotive Wax and Grease remover - all will remove the wax.

Maybe you just globbed too much wax on it. How long did you wait between the precat spray and the wax job?

Alan Lightstone
02-04-2015, 6:37 PM
Not lacquer blushing. It was perfectly clear and had cured for 4 days after spraying.

I've tried to wipe the wax off with mineral spirits. Still flat around the periphery, and glossy in the middle.

Todd Burch
02-04-2015, 6:53 PM
You might try calling your supplier's rep.

Alan Lightstone
02-04-2015, 8:03 PM
OK. Took off all the wax (at least I hope I did) with mineral spirits and naptha. Then sanded with 800 and 1000 grit sandpaper.

Resprayed with gloss lacquer. Seems fine initially. Hopefully no incompatibility issues.

Funny, I never wax projects. I did it this time, and quickly regretted it. Live and learn.

Mike Tagge
02-06-2015, 9:57 PM
Next time instead of spraying, you might have the option of removing the wax with mineral spirits/naptha and then using automotive rubbing compounds/polish. They can yield an amazing shine.