PDA

View Full Version : Pet Cremation Urns

Steve Huffman
02-04-2015, 9:57 AM
Here’s a couple pet urns just finished up this week. My dog of 16 year died last December and made up this urn for
her cremated remains. She was mans best friend! The other urn with the name “Misha” i made up for one of my employees
who lost his dog a while ago.

Remember, I have only been turning a year, so go easy on me. I do want honest comments and if you see something I can
improve on, I want to hear about it. I know the woods a bit thick is places and I’m working on that, still new to this. I did a little
woodburning on the name and tracks. Would like to know if you like the woodburnings or would leave that part out.

Mid section is Aspen, with Cottonwood lid and base. I had to go with what I had available and will next time use all Aspen I think.
Might like a darker wood too for top and bottom as I like the contrast.

Thanks a bunch! Steve

Don A. Davis
02-04-2015, 10:47 AM
Steve...I think you did a great job on both urns. I like the paw prints.

Thom Sturgill
02-04-2015, 12:04 PM
Not classic shapes, but they present well with good display of grain. Excellent work with the burning on the paws. Very appropriate and I'm sure 'Misha's' owner appreciated the urn.

Ted Calver
02-04-2015, 12:18 PM
They look very professional to me. No obvious sanding marks, smooth curves and nice finish. They appear stable, but I like the shape on Misha's a little better for an elevated form. As a matter of personal preference, the shape for your dog's urn is a bit more bottom heavy and to my eye, it fights the pedestal and might "feel" better without it. Nice job!

Steve Huffman
02-04-2015, 5:59 PM
Not classic shapes, but they present well with good display of grain. Excellent work with the burning on the paws. Very appropriate and I'm sure 'Misha's' owner appreciated the urn.
Thanks for all the comments! On mine, the one on the left, was poor planning on my part as I actually flipped it to show the beautiful knot. I actually had planned it
to go the other way. After I had flipped it, my wife and I actually liked the shape and I left it showing that knot between the prints. Thanks Thom

Roger Chandler
02-04-2015, 6:05 PM
Both those are nice turnings.......I really like the paw prints pyro'd in the design and the pedestal forms........I have a fondness for pedestal forms done well. Nice!

BILL DONAHUE
02-04-2015, 7:59 PM
Very nice work and I'm sure that Misha's owner will appreciate it for years.

Paul Williams
02-04-2015, 10:21 PM
Both are good looking turnings. I prefer the one on the right. It doesn't need the pedestal but that doesn't distract from it in my view. I agree whith what everyone has said about the paw prints, they are a very good addition.

Doug Herzberg
02-04-2015, 10:34 PM
Steve, I like them both. Neither form hurts my eyes and that's how I judge first and last. The finish looks good and I like the wood burning. I like both Cottonwood and Aspen, but Cottonwood is a little harder to finish sometimes. I would be proud to have either on my mantle. Thanks for posting. It's nice to see something different. How far southeast are you in Colorado?

Jim Watkins
02-04-2015, 10:48 PM
Steve, I think they look beautiful. Nice choice of material. It turned out really nice.

The only thing that would concern me would be the base being so small, but that is because I live in California and an earthquake would probably tip it over.

In your part of the country it's not likely an issue like out here.

I for one love the work...

Bruce Lewane
02-05-2015, 8:52 AM
Beautiful work with the available woods. Having lived in Colorado for 35 years, hard wood is hard to come by. Although Box elder is common along the creek beds.
Again. Beautiful work.

Steve Huffman
02-05-2015, 9:18 AM
Thank you all for the nice compliments and critiques! I know I have a ways to go for sure but really enjoy this craft. My thoughts, like taxidermy, it's always
to be a ongoing craft to improve on. I'm sure the pro's are still looking for newer better ways and chasing after the difficult shape. I just can't see woodturning as getting boring anytime soon.

Steve Huffman
02-05-2015, 9:26 AM
Steve, I like them both. Neither form hurts my eyes and that's how I judge first and last. The finish looks good and I like the wood burning. I like both Cottonwood and Aspen, but Cottonwood is a little harder to finish sometimes. I would be proud to have either on my mantle. Thanks for posting. It's nice to see something different. How far southeast are you in Colorado?
Doug, I'm about 100 miles south of you off I-25. Actually have 2 taxidermy shops in Aguilar, small town north of Trinidad. My Mother lives in Colo. Springs off of 21st street. Nice to see a neighbor on here!

Peter Blair
02-05-2015, 9:59 AM
Steve I like them both and the pyrography really makes them stand out. I am not a dog person but can still appreciate the loss when a family pet passes.
I wonder how you have attached the lids? I have made a few urns and found that the lid was best when screwed on. Tha is to say I used plumbing fittings screw sections inserted into the urn.

Steve Huffman
02-07-2015, 10:35 AM
Thanks Pete! The lid on both of these just drops in. Screw threads would be sweet, but I'm not that advanced just yet, but very interested into looking into threading.
On my employees urn, we put a plastic bag in the urn and funneled the ashes into the bag, put a zip tie to seal the bag and stuffed it in. This was to prevent any spilling
in the event the urn was knocked over. I have heard others using plumbing threads too, would this be like PVC type threads?
Thanks you again,
Steve

Thom Sturgill
02-07-2015, 4:56 PM
PVC works, but most prefer ABS because its black.

Peter Blair
02-07-2015, 6:11 PM
Hi Steve.
I usually use a bag as well but if you do a nice thread it really isn't needed and sort of make the whole process easier. I lost my sister (best friend) about a year and a half ago and made an urn for her. Her children for some reason thought I should have asked them but her ashes (in the urn) wound up at her friends in the urn I made. We visit her every year and can't help but enjoy the fact that she is there with us while we are there. Sorry I do carry on a little.
Anyway, here's a link that I think will provide all the info you need to get started.
http://www.woodturningonline.com/Turning/Turning_content/Threaded_inserts_for_urns.pdf
I hope I'm permitted to leave this link, if not I hope one of the moderators remove it and if they do, please send me a pm and I'll send it to you.

Steve Huffman
02-08-2015, 11:12 AM
Thanks Pete! That's so nice what you did for your sister. My Dad has ask me to make one for him when he passes, he's 84 and in good health, and maybe I can make up
a threaded one. You link is a good informative start for me as I didn't have a clue....thanks again.