PDA

View Full Version : Need help with making twin beds

Scott Brandstetter
02-03-2015, 11:43 PM
All, I am looking at making several twin beds like the picture below. My question is this, do I need a mortiser for the vertical boards on the head and foot boards? Is there another, more efficient way to re-create this style bed? Thanks in advance

Rich Enders
02-04-2015, 12:12 AM
Scott,

Since the verticals are only minimally (or non) structural it seems you could make them any way convenient. Round or shaped slip tenons in the rails and verticals, or grooves in the rails with spacers for separation would be two.

Brian W Smith
02-04-2015, 4:43 AM
We have a mortiser and would still go with Rich above on the grooves.Do some searching on stair systems for pics/ideas........it's a very common treatment on certain stairway rails/balusters.You may also want to consider(again,like stair parts)pre-finishing your "balusters".

Shawn Christ
02-04-2015, 7:38 AM
I've done this with a continuous groove and spacers and was never happy with the results; the spacer joints were always visible. Although I suppose a painted piece would solve that problem. I don't have a mortiser either and would be tempted to use dowels but if you only use one the vertical spindles may eventually spin. If your verticals were a bit wider, like slats, you could use a biscuit joiner to make the mortises and use a band saw or belt sander to round off your tenons to fit. I used this approach on a couple headboards and it was quicker (and cleaner looking) than the groove and spacers.