PDA

View Full Version : Wood look finish on MDF

David Hewes
02-03-2015, 3:56 PM
I am a woodworker this is a repair question. I accidently damaged someone furniture. It was expensive furniture and I was surprised to find out about veneer on MFD. The top is veneer and the edges are MDF painted to look like wood. I will try to up load picture of what I need to match. The top turned out to be easy to match. The edges seem to be paint with a dark color rubbed in. Does anyone know the technique for doing this? I tried searching the internet for hour but did not even know what to search for?

Thanks
Dave

scott vroom
02-03-2015, 4:17 PM
I am a woodworker this is a repair question. I accidently damaged someone furniture. It was expensive furniture and I was surprised to find out about veneer on MFD. The top is veneer and the edges are MDF painted to look like wood. I will try to up load picture of what I need to match. The top turned out to be easy to match. The edges seem to be paint with a dark color rubbed in. Does anyone know the technique for doing this? I tried searching the internet for hour but did not even know what to search for?

Thanks
Dave

Mmmmm....."expensive furniture" and "MDF" would seem to be a contradiction in terms.

Charles Taylor
02-03-2015, 4:32 PM
Does anyone know the technique for doing this? I tried searching the internet for hour but did not even know what to search for?

Try searching for faux wood grain painting. Good luck.

Mel Fulks
02-03-2015, 5:14 PM
Grain painting can be folksy primitive exaggeration or convincingly realistic work done by artists. Worst case scenario is
you might have to hire someone, it can certainly be done. We have made mahogany doors ....for the purpose of being
faux painted to look like mahogany and at least one other member has mentioned doing the same thing. Mdf can hold art
just as good as canvas, maybe better ,since it needs no frame.

Kevin Wolfe
02-11-2015, 11:46 AM
I was a little surprised to hear expensive and MDF as well. I figure at least the veneer would have been over actual wood.
Looks like the wood grain is two different colors. I would experiment by painting on one color and then paint the second darker color on with a brush only lightly coated in paint to leaves "streaks" so to speak.

Either that, or tell them that they over paid for MDF!:)