PDA

View Full Version : Full Spectrum Laser 4th Gen Questions

jon christlieb
02-03-2015, 3:49 PM
Hey guys,
So I purchased the 4th Gen laser that I was talking about the other day and all seems pretty nice. It functions as it should and everything is extremely well aligned.

There are a few questions I had though.....

1. My red laser dot is way out of whack and I am not sure what the best approach is to getting it right.

2. I also received a 2.5 lenses with my machine, but not sure what is in it...... What was shipped with it typically and what is the 2.5 good for?

3. Mine 4th gen came with the Retina3d setup, highs/lows?

4. I also got the plastic rotary that the guy never used. Is it any good?

5. Have any of you guys rigged anything up for the exhaust and a charcoal filter so that you can do this inside if you are not close to a outside wall? I will mostly be etching anodized aluminum and painted surfaces. From time to time maybe some acrylic cutting.

I know that there are guys out there that are going to give me a hard time about this machine but overall I think this will do what I need for now. All the other options I was going go with were $6500+ and that is not in my price range. So please just try to keep it to suggestions for the machine and tips, not bashing FSL.

Thanks All

Mike Troncalli
02-03-2015, 5:13 PM
Sent you a private message on a dedicated Full Spectrum Laser forum that might help you better answer all of your questions.

Matt McCoy
02-03-2015, 5:27 PM
Hey guys,
So I purchased the 4th Gen laser that I was talking about the other day and all seems pretty nice. It functions as it should and everything is extremely well aligned.

There are a few questions I had though.....

1. My red laser dot is way out of whack and I am not sure what the best approach is to getting it right.

2. I also received a 2.5 lenses with my machine, but not sure what is in it...... What was shipped with it typically and what is the 2.5 good for?

3. Mine 4th gen came with the Retina3d setup, highs/lows?

4. I also got the plastic rotary that the guy never used. Is it any good?

5. Have any of you guys rigged anything up for the exhaust and a charcoal filter so that you can do this inside if you are not close to a outside wall? I will mostly be etching anodized aluminum and painted surfaces. From time to time maybe some acrylic cutting.

I know that there are guys out there that are going to give me a hard time about this machine but overall I think this will do what I need for now. All the other options I was going go with were $6500+ and that is not in my price range. So please just try to keep it to suggestions for the machine and tips, not bashing FSL.

Thanks All

1) Here's the Beam Combiner instructions:

https://fslaser.com/index.php/aitdownloadablefiles/download/aitfile/aitfile_id/5/

2) I believe the 2" lens was standard. Perform the focus test (search SMC) to confirm.

3) Good: Better than Chinese software. Bad: There is a possibility that you will need to pay a transfer fee.

4) I would use it or it will be a pain to focus the Z.

5) I would upgrade to a better exhaust fan if you plan to cut acrylic.

jon christlieb
02-04-2015, 3:19 PM
I appreciate the link to the other site. I went through it and it didn't seem very active.

The weird thing with the red dot is that it appears to be scattered rather than a single dot. Not sure if it is just bad and needs replaced.

I have been looking at different fans and even charcoal filters to assist in the exhaust issues.

Fun part was first missing the fact that after a certain point the test fire buttons are no longer implemented and you just use the software. Crazy how fast the thermal paper burns.

Rich Harman
02-04-2015, 4:09 PM
The weird thing with the red dot is that it appears to be scattered rather than a single dot. Not sure if it is just bad and needs replaced.

You may just need to focus it.

Dan Hintz
02-04-2015, 7:46 PM

See my blog post here (far right-hand side of my name).

jon christlieb
02-05-2015, 11:16 AM
Did you do a write up on this Dan? I could have swore that I saw something about this now that I think about it. Just curious as to a parts list possibly, also how often are you changing out the filters.

Scott Shepherd
02-05-2015, 11:25 AM
Did you do a write up on this Dan? I could have swore that I saw something about this now that I think about it. Just curious as to a parts list possibly, also how often are you changing out the filters.

Click on his name, then click "View Blog Entries".

jon christlieb
02-05-2015, 11:30 AM
I did that but it only showed me the pictures. I will go look into it again.

jon christlieb
02-05-2015, 11:37 AM
Got it... Didn't see the tab on the right side.