PDA

View Full Version : Mini Pad Advice

BOB OLINGER
02-03-2015, 3:30 PM
In attempt to lower my cell bill, US Cellular is offering packages that include either a mini I-pad or mini LG G 7" pad. I don't have a pad, would only use it for emails, a little web surfing, a little texting. The LG G 7' is lower per month. Anyone have any comments on these?

David Bassett
02-03-2015, 4:08 PM
Do you prefer iOS or Android? The LG should be fine for basic stuff. For me it boils down to getting familiar aps.

John McClanahan
02-03-2015, 10:11 PM
I'm an Apple fanboy so I may sound biased. Apple does a much better job of keeping their iOS patched and updated than Android. I would take that into consideration for anything that uses passwords. Also, Apple products hold their value better. Android may be cheaper to buy, but it is worth less down the road. Some of the low end Android devices have older versions of the OS and cannot be updated to the latest. Not tooooo biased, huh? :D:D

John

Bruce Page
02-03-2015, 10:33 PM
Apple products just work. My first generation iPad works just as good today as the day I bought it in 2010.

Rich Enders
02-03-2015, 11:58 PM
The LOML has a Mac Book Air, an iPhone 6, and an iPad Mini. She uses them all, but mostly I see her using the Mini. Especially in the car. She uses the iPhone as a hotspot for the Mini and is able to do all the internet stuff such as making hotel, and dinner, reservations en route. Of course the phone could do it all, but the size of the Mini helps our old eyes especially with photos.

We have no experience with Android. Probably it works equally well, but we have dozens of years experience with Apple and it is pretty friendly.

Malcolm Schweizer
02-04-2015, 1:39 AM
I have an iPhone and iPad and love them. My work gave me a Samsung Galaxy. It is the least user friendly device I have ever owned. It is loaded with useless options but doing something simple like trying to make it stop beeping every time I get a message or FB notification takes a PhD. I got it to stop for messages, but then it would vibrate, and by vibrate I actually mean buzz because it may as well be a buzzer it vibrates so loudly. Anyway, I know you didn't ask about Samsung, but it made me never want to try another Android product. It does do a great job linking with my outlook, but otherwise it stinks. The FB and eBay apps don't work right either.

*posted with my iPad.

Keith Outten
02-04-2015, 3:32 AM
There are at least a couple phone apps available for iPads that allow you to make and receive phone calls over wireless networks. I would check whether the LG has similar apps available since your primary goal is to use it to reduce your phone costs.

I'm also an Apple fan. I rarely travel on short or long trips without my iPad so I can connect to SawMill Creek and do administrative chores when situations arise that must be done right away. Although I could do most tasks on my iPhone it is just to small for my old eyes and clumsy fingers. I tried an iPad Mini for a few months, they are very nice but still a bit small for the work I do but that doesn't mean they won't work for you in your situation.

Mike Cutler
02-04-2015, 4:38 AM
Another vote for the iPad.
They're not the most powerful and probably don't have as many features as an Android based tablet. They just work.

dennis thompson
02-04-2015, 6:47 AM
I have an ipad which I love, it had reduced the use of my computer by at least 75%. My wife has an ipad mini, she loves it and no longer uses her computer at all.

Jim Matthews
02-04-2015, 7:09 AM
Do I understand that either is an enticement, attached to the same phone plan?

Seems like this would be an ideal time to negotiate a discount,
and forego something you don't really need.

I bought a Nexus 7 for occasional use, and it's no substitute
for either a phone or a proper desktop machine.

roger wiegand
02-04-2015, 9:06 AM
My technophobe wife loves her iPad mini. Uses it constantly, which continues to amaze her (and me). I've stayed in the Apple ecosystem (Mac/iphone/ipad) myself and spend a tiny fraction of the time and effort on "desktop support" for my stuff than I do for other family members who live in the PC/Android world. (I'm the only desktop support guy in the family). That said, I haven't really used android devices and have no basis for an opinion about them. I doubt that overall functionality is significantly different for an average user.

Judson Green
02-04-2015, 9:50 AM
In attempt to lower my cell bill, US Cellular is offering packages that include either a mini I-pad or mini LG G 7" pad. I don't have a pad, would only use it for emails, a little web surfing, a little texting. The LG G 7' is lower per month. Anyone have any comments on these?

What type of phone do you have android or apple? Have you looked at the new round of phablets?

But I'm with Jim M. if its not something you need it might be a good way to negotiate a lower monthly bill.

I'd go for the LG cause I'm not a apple fan boy, but would rather have more choices than those two. Theres tons of android devices out there.

Myk Rian
02-04-2015, 3:26 PM
Looks like I'm the Lone Wolf around here. I use Android.
Once you get Apple, you're tied into Apple for all your apps.
Google play store has a huge, and amazing variety of apps.

Android Wolves eat iOS sheep for lunch. :)

Curt Harms
02-05-2015, 9:08 AM
I'm an Apple fanboy so I may sound biased. Apple does a much better job of keeping their iOS patched and updated than Android. I would take that into consideration for anything that uses passwords. Also, Apple products hold their value better. Android may be cheaper to buy, but it is worth less down the road. Some of the low end Android devices have older versions of the OS and cannot be updated to the latest. Not tooooo biased, huh? :D:D

John

Nope, that's pretty accurate information AFAIK. Relying on vendors/carriers for security updates was a idealistic but dumb idea. I think that current Android versions 4.4.x and 5.x are set up to get security updates directly from the mothership (Google) regardless of branding. I'm not certain about this so do your homework.