PDA

View Full Version : PayPal Help

Jerry Thompson
02-03-2015, 2:51 PM
I am having trouble getting a reply from a vendor. The item was sent but not all of the components were with it. I sent one email on Sunday with the order number and what my problem was. On Monday I called and had to leave a message on their answering device with all of the forgoing info.
Today, long before their regular business hours, I sent a repeat message by email.
How do I start a payment dispute with PayPal? I plan on send the item back to the company with a return receipt but not until I know how to get my money back through PayPal.
Thank you.

Jim Matthews
02-03-2015, 3:04 PM
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/gen/buyer-complaint-outside

Sorry to hear of your troubles.
Did you pay with a Credit card,
or from a linked bank account?

John Coloccia
02-03-2015, 3:07 PM
I am having trouble getting a reply from a vendor. The item was sent but not all of the components were with it. I sent one email on Sunday with the order number and what my problem was. On Monday I called and had to leave a message on their answering device with all of the forgoing info.
Today, long before their regular business hours, I sent a repeat message by email.
How do I start a payment dispute with PayPal? I plan on send the item back to the company with a return receipt but not until I know how to get my money back through PayPal.
Thank you.

Where is the vendor located, Jerry? If he's anywhere in the North East, we've been buried by snow. Some businesses are still not reopened. Regardless, it's only been one business day.

Anyhow, just call Paypal customer service if it gets to that point.

Anthony Whitesell
02-03-2015, 4:11 PM
Please tell me you used a credit card. In my experience, PayPal can only refund your money if there is money in the other account. PayPal does not have a "cash reserve" for dispute resolution. PayPal (proper) will not give you your money back, they can only get your money back if the seller (in this case) has money in their account. This was my experience when I failed to receive an item paid through PayPal with cash. I am still out my money. Since using a credit card, I have not had this issue. All of my credit card companies provide better buyer protections than PayPal. In my experience.

Jerry Thompson
02-03-2015, 4:31 PM
Yes it was to a bank acct. It is in Ca. I may be on the hook for it. Lessons learned.
Thanks everyone.

Scott Shepherd
02-03-2015, 4:40 PM
So you've given them 1 day to respond? Seems kinda unreasonable. Give them enough time to respond. You emailed on Sunday, when businesses are closed, you called before business hours, and then you emailed again.

I know, as a business operator, I can't always look into things and get them figured out in one day, as I might have to call someone at a company, leave a voice mail, and wait for them to get back to me before I can get back to the customer.

Give them time to respond!

Mike Henderson
02-03-2015, 4:41 PM
Yes it was to a bank acct. It is in Ca. I may be on the hook for it. Lessons learned.
Thanks everyone.
If you paid for the merchandise as a "Payment for merchandise" and not as a "Send money to friends or family" PayPal will open a dispute for you and you're likely to get your money back (if the merchant is at fault). Doesn't matter if your account is linked to your bank account.

Mike

Jerry Thompson
02-03-2015, 4:45 PM
It seems to me that they should have responded by now. The payment is linked to my debit card. I will go to the bank tomorrow and see if they can prod them.
I also now notice that the web site has no story physical address.

Matt Day
02-03-2015, 4:45 PM
If this was a week and no response I might understand, but you've given them less than two business days! Wait a few more days before starting a dispute.

Brian Elfert
02-03-2015, 4:53 PM
I suspect Paypal will just tell you to wait before they will formally open a dispute. Doesn't Paypal offer buyer protection no matter what form of payment you used to pay for an item? I doubt you'll be out the money if the merchant never responds.

Sam Murdoch
02-03-2015, 5:35 PM
If you paid for the merchandise as a "Payment for merchandise" and not as a "Send money to friends or family" PayPal will open a dispute for you and you're likely to get your money back (if the merchant is at fault). Doesn't matter if your account is linked to your bank account.

Mike

This has been my experience too.

Scott Shepherd
02-03-2015, 5:44 PM
It seems to me that they should have responded by now.

1 day isn't enough time to start filing claims. In fact, I seriously doubt Paypal or your bank will do anything after 1 day. Come on. What if the person that handles emails is off? What if it's a small company and they don't work Mondays? What if it's a part time business for them, and they have full time jobs during the day?

Maybe they aren't going to respond but I think your time line is completely unreasonable.

I have long time customers and I can't always respond to them in the timeline you're talking about.

Jerry Thompson
02-03-2015, 6:25 PM
I'll hold my horses. It is a gift for my grandson. I found their physical address and pulled it up on Google maps. It is a small little building all by itself.

Anthony Whitesell
02-03-2015, 6:57 PM
I suspect Paypal will just tell you to wait before they will formally open a dispute. Doesn't Paypal offer buyer protection no matter what form of payment you used to pay for an item? I doubt you'll be out the money if the merchant never responds.

I will preface that my information and experience is about 5 years old. The buyer protection they (used to) offer was to assist the buyer with recouping their money with the [unwritten] caveat the seller's PayPal account had to have the funds available in order to provide you a refund. They did not have the ability or legal rights to withdraw funds from the seller's associated bank account. Again, that may have changed, but I don't have that knowledge or experience. I hope the seller comes through and all is well. That would be the simplest solution.

Jim Matthews
02-04-2015, 7:11 AM
Anthony has the same unfortunate experience I have.

If the account is 'cleared' and no funds are in PayPal's control,
there's no method for them to seize funds to return.

That's why many of us use a Credit card and pay for the assurance.
Our credit card companies offer another line of protection.

Jerry Thompson
02-04-2015, 8:41 AM
RED FACE!!!
No directions came with the device I ordered. After looking at the site it explained what else was needed but the product showed it with all the needed wires and I felt they came with it item.
I further investigate the device and now I see what I need to provide and it is no big deal. The problem with many sites is they assume you are 16 years old and understand these things when it comes to dealing with photo/computer products. I'm 72 and half Luddite.
All will work out and I am going to send an email to the company apologizing for my ignorance. It does seem, to me, that they could have responded and told me what the deal was.
At least I know more about PayPal and doubt I will use them in lieu of a credit card.
Thank you every one for your help.

Anthony Whitesell
02-04-2015, 8:47 AM
PayPal's policies may have changed, may have not. But it is my money and I go with what I know. I know (or think I know) credit card companies protection policies are (pretty darn) good.

Brian Elfert
02-04-2015, 12:36 PM
RED FACE!!!
All will work out and I am going to send an email to the company apologizing for my ignorance. It does seem, to me, that they could have responded and told me what the deal was.
At least I know more about PayPal and doubt I will use them in lieu of a credit card.
Thank you every one for your help.

You can use a credit card through Paypal. 99% of the time on Ebay you have to pay with Paypal.

I ordered something from a company through Ebay and paid via Paypal with a credit card. The item was much larger than what I was expecting. The company gave me an RMA number to return it. I returned the item and never got a credit. It appears the company went out of business as they quit answering their phone and email for weeks. I finally filed a dispute with my credit card and got my money back that way. I had the emails from the vendor with the RMA number and a tracking number for the package.

Kent A Bathurst
02-04-2015, 2:41 PM
RED FACE!!!
No directions came with the device I ordered. After looking at the site it explained what else was needed but the product showed it with all the needed wires and I felt they came with it item.
I further investigate the device and now I see what I need to provide and it is no big deal.

Does my heart good to read this bit, Jerry.

As a kid, when I knew everything, I occasionally got myself into a blind alley. My Dad [now 89 and still full of pee and vinegar] would stroll by, look at the ceiling, and say to no one in particular "When all else fails, read the directions". Out of the room, without breaking stride.

I didn't do it then, and I don't do it now. But - I can still hear Dad............ And you have confirmed my life-long suspicion that I was not the only one...........

Paul McGaha
02-04-2015, 3:19 PM
I tend to read the directions on things now. If nothing else to understand how the manufacturer planned for the hardware to be arranged.

Took me a while to get to this point though (as I'm 57).

My dad used to say - When all else fails, read the directions.

PHM

John Coloccia
02-04-2015, 5:30 PM
I rarely read the destruction manual, but occasionally I do...in private where no one can see me.

Kent A Bathurst
02-04-2015, 6:25 PM
I rarely read the destruction manual, but occasionally I do...in private where no one can see me.

Gotta maintain yer street cred, JC...............