PDA

View Full Version : Mini Laser Engraver

Clark Pace
02-03-2015, 1:42 AM
Anyone buy one of these? I am thinking about going to our local arts fair this year, and setup a tent. I can't take my big laser, but I thought maybe I could take this and do names on wood tags. It's small and light and will hook up via usb. I could have a display of my large stuff, and take orders for larger plaques.

Not sure what software it uses though? Maybe mach 3?

ebay=item2eda232b4b

Steve Morris
02-03-2015, 4:22 AM
I think they will get bored waiting for it to finish. Not sure about your local Health & Safety regs but I expect that here it would be shutdown before you even turned it on in a public space.

All those people running round claiming damage to their eyes and suing your backside off. ;)

Dan Hintz
02-03-2015, 6:06 AM
200mW... you plan on waiting a LONG time for those nametags to be completed, don't you. ;)

Mike Troncalli
02-03-2015, 7:16 AM
Ever run into something that makes all of those hairs on the back of your neck stand up and scream NOOOOO... Even though you don't know anything about it.. Well ????

Dave Sheldrake
02-03-2015, 9:21 AM
I haven't looked but it's one of those homebrew Diode jobbys I'd guess?

run away, quickly......

Steve's right, over here I'd need a surgeon to get it back from where Health And Safety Executive would put a machine like those ;)

Bert Kemp
02-03-2015, 10:10 AM
You be better off buying a small desktop laser

Clark Pace
02-04-2015, 9:23 PM
You be better off buying a small desktop laser

You have to admit though. I think it's kinda cool for $100.00

Really slow though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrIYrlsDNFo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gq5sfg_R0kI

The ebay seller sent me the software. It's kind of cool. You can load pictures and convert. Or load g-code.

Gary Hair
02-04-2015, 10:30 PM
You can load pictures and convert. Or load g-code.

It might be quicker to have a pencil and tap away!

Dave Sheldrake
02-05-2015, 7:32 AM
Really cool in a kinda "I want to be blind" way :)

Bert Kemp
02-05-2015, 12:22 PM
I also think that you would only be hurting your business by taking that to a show. people would think its kinda chintzy and the product you would deliver would be inferior.JMO

John McClanahan
02-05-2015, 12:48 PM
I know nothing about laser engraving so I have to ask, would moving the laser head closer to the work piece increase the laser power?

John

Dave Sheldrake
02-05-2015, 1:52 PM
By fractions of a microwatt yes, in the real world, not really :)

Clark Pace
02-05-2015, 2:58 PM
By fractions of a microwatt yes, in the real world, not really :)

I have re-thought about taking one of these. I didn't realize how slow they were until I saw the video.