PDA

View Full Version : It's been a couple years......

Ken Fitzgerald
02-02-2015, 11:34 PM
A friend and neighbor who is a professional painter and sprays a lot of finishes for local cabinet shops came over to visit Saturday. He is restoring a bent wood chair for his FIL and one of the spindles was broken. He wondered if I could turn a replacement. I asked if I could wait until Monday.

This afternoon I measured the pattern, made a full size drawing and turned the replacement using just two of my skews. It felt good to be back on the lathe! For some reason, I am more motivated by practical turnings than by art turnings.

I need to start turning again!

Steve Schlumpf
02-02-2015, 11:41 PM

I agree!! Also - where's the photos? You know the rules! :D

George Troy Hurlburt
02-02-2015, 11:45 PM
A friend and neighbor who is a professional painter and sprays a lot of finishes for local cabinet shops came over to visit Saturday. He is restoring a bent wood chair for his FIL and one of the spindles was broken. He wondered if I could turn a replacement. I asked if I could wait until Monday.

This afternoon I measured the pattern, made a full size drawing and turned the replacement using just two of my skews. It fell good to be back on the lathe! For some reason, I am more motivated by practical turnings than by art turnings.

You just did what I refuse too do. I'm too busy woodturning and playing golf. He is very lucky.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-03-2015, 12:17 AM
Steve, a simple spindle is hardly worth the effort of photographing. I was a little surprised I could still handle my skews without getting a catch. I used my big Lacer (1 5/8" IIRC) and my 3/4" Robert Larson. No catches. The old proverb "Ride that bevel" still applies!

Ken Fitzgerald
02-03-2015, 12:29 AM
You just did what I refuse too do. I'm too busy woodturning and playing golf. He is very lucky.

George....he's not lucky. I am. When I replaced the header on my carport a few years ago, he showed up to help without being asked. When I poured my patio and walkway, he showed up to help without being invited. I have a disease that effects the inner ear, am deaf as a result and I have balance issues. This summer when my house needed painting, he worked me into his busy schedule and painted everything above 9' high. I painted everything below that.

He's just getting a little interest off the debts I owe him.:o

Steve Doerr
02-03-2015, 9:58 AM
Sounds like the kind of friend everyone needs and that everyone should be.

allen thunem
02-03-2015, 10:29 AM

playing golf in the winter in central Kansas??? I heard the wind blows out there.
first week I havnt been able to play this winter in Colorado.