PDA

View Full Version : Thank you for offering vehicle advice (long)

John Zimmerman
07-27-2005, 12:22 AM
I hope I don't get chastised for ending an old thread with a new thread, but I wanted to thank everybody for taking the effort to help me make my decision, and I didn't want it to end up as comment #44.

I was blown away by the number of responses, some I expected and some I certainly didn't expect. One I was kinda hoping for but didn't get is the GMC Envoy XUV, it has some interesting cargo options.Maybe it's too new.

Let me come clean and tell you why I limited my choices to what I did. We have a 1991 Honda Accord with 170,000 miles and a Dodge Dakota pickup(plywood won't fit length or width-wise) with 155,000 miles, neither one we trust too far from home. The real problem is I have a 60 mile rt commute and I drive the pickup and am getting about 15 mpg. The LOML-WMBO is just not a pickup person and will drive it only if it's the only thing available (she will drive a new, clean SUV if it's not too big). Given that we can only get one car it will have to be something she is willing to drive to work everyday while I drive the Honda. Therefore, looking after my interests, I wanted something that I could also use to haul occassional plywood and lumber, etc.

Now to the thankyous. I want to sincerely thank everybody for taking the time to help a total stranger, but I would like to single out just a few:

Dev Emch: I was really blown away by the fact that he would take the time and effort to write not one, but two, lengthy treatises extolling the virtues of diesel powered vehicles. My amazement soon gave way to the consideration of the deleterious side effects of inhaling excessive amounts of diesel fumes. :D

Mark Singer said he was very happy with his Toureg, an SUV I'm definitely interested in...but he didn't say if it would hold the plywood.

Ed Blaugh pointed out that the people have to be accomodated too, in a discussion about Chrysler minivans. Assuming he's not a pro basketball player it's something I might have to worry about also.

And Gail O'Rourke stood up for the virtues of her F150. But what stood out about her response is that she claims to be from America's Hometown. I hope to God that's not Dallas because, as a Redskins fan, I always cringed when they called the Cowboys "America's Team".

I believe I got enough consensus on one vehicle that it's currently at the top of my list, but I won't reveal it until we make our final decision.

I hope I haven't been too flip, this is a great group that I hope to be a part of for a long time.

Thanks again,

JohnZ

Jim Becker
07-27-2005, 2:38 PM
Don't forget to check with Consumer Reports relative to each vehicle you are considering...especially regarding quality and maintenance history.

Chris Padilla
07-28-2005, 7:27 PM
I hope to God that's not Dallas because, as a Redskins fan, I always cringed when they called the Cowboys "America's Team".

I think most of the other 29 teams cringe when they hear that about the Cowboys because as a Broncos' fan, I do too! :D

Lee DeRaud
07-28-2005, 9:07 PM
I think most of the other 29 teams cringe when they hear that about the Cowboys because as a Broncos' fan, I do too! :DI get to cringe twice: I became a Redskin fan at an early age when we live in northern Virginia (Sonny Jurgenson/Sam Huff era), then went off to school in Denver just before the Redskins got good, then came to southern California just before the Broncos got good. And in the meantime my folks retired in, you guessed it, Arlington, Texas, a few miles up the road from Texas stadium.

It ain't easy, gotta tell ya. Not helped a bit by LOML, born and raised in Green Bay. :eek:

Randy Moore
07-28-2005, 9:20 PM
I think most of the other 29 teams cringe when they hear that about the Cowboys because as a Broncos' fan, I do too! :D

Cowboys? and the Broncos? America's team??????????????????
:D NO WAY I ALWAYS thought it was the CHIEFS :) . Tell me again where are the Cowboys and the Broncos from?

Karl Laustrup
07-30-2005, 7:05 AM
It ain't easy, gotta tell ya. Not helped a bit by LOML, born and raised in Green Bay. :eek:

Never met your wife Lee, but being from GB, she's got to be a wonderful lady. :D

Karl

Tim Morton
07-30-2005, 10:36 AM
I hope I don't get chastised for ending an old thread with a new thread, but I wanted to thank everybody for taking the effort to help me make my decision, and I didn't want it to end up as comment #44.

I was blown away by the number of responses, some I expected and some I certainly didn't expect. One I was kinda hoping for but didn't get is the GMC Envoy XUV, it has some interesting cargo options.Maybe it's too new.

Let me come clean and tell you why I limited my choices to what I did. We have a 1991 Honda Accord with 170,000 miles and a Dodge Dakota pickup(plywood won't fit length or width-wise) with 155,000 miles, neither one we trust too far from home. The real problem is I have a 60 mile rt commute and I drive the pickup and am getting about 15 mpg. The LOML-WMBO is just not a pickup person and will drive it only if it's the only thing available (she will drive a new, clean SUV if it's not too big). Given that we can only get one car it will have to be something she is willing to drive to work everyday while I drive the Honda. Therefore, looking after my interests, I wanted something that I could also use to haul occassional plywood and lumber, etc.

Now to the thankyous. I want to sincerely thank everybody for taking the time to help a total stranger, but I would like to single out just a few:

Dev Emch: I was really blown away by the fact that he would take the time and effort to write not one, but two, lengthy treatises extolling the virtues of diesel powered vehicles. My amazement soon gave way to the consideration of the deleterious side effects of inhaling excessive amounts of diesel fumes. :D

Mark Singer said he was very happy with his Toureg, an SUV I'm definitely interested in...but he didn't say if it would hold the plywood.

Ed Blaugh pointed out that the people have to be accomodated too, in a discussion about Chrysler minivans. Assuming he's not a pro basketball player it's something I might have to worry about also.

And Gail O'Rourke stood up for the virtues of her F150. But what stood out about her response is that she claims to be from America's Hometown. I hope to God that's not Dallas because, as a Redskins fan, I always cringed when they called the Cowboys "America's Team".

I believe I got enough consensus on one vehicle that it's currently at the top of my list, but I won't reveal it until we make our final decision.

I hope I haven't been too flip, this is a great group that I hope to be a part of for a long time.

Thanks again,

JohnZ

A cautionary word about the Toureg...as somone who has a brother in the car repair business when i went shopping for a SUV the Toureg was on the list as a possible but he pointed out that the dealer in town had sold a little more than 30 of them, and more than 20 had come back with major transmision problems...so be careful there. Also I would not buy a vehicle based on whether it would hold a full sheet of plywood , only because most lumber stores will deliver plywood...and just how many days out the year will you actually have plywood in it? subaru has a new SUV coming out and they make a VERY reliable vehicle....FWIW.

Jim Becker
07-31-2005, 10:25 AM
subaru has a new SUV coming out and they make a VERY reliable vehicle....FWIW.

The new Subaru B9 Tribeca is a wonderful mid-size SUV with the legendary Subaru all-wheel drive. It only has one problem that has knocked it off our short list...it requires premium fuel. (The Acura MDX, which is also a very nice vehicle, suffered the same fate...)

Consumer Reports backs up your comments on the Toureg. Nice looker, but way to many major problems. (And the aforementioned premium fuel requirement)

Doug Jones
07-31-2005, 6:46 PM
The new Subaru B9 Tribeca is a wonderful mid-size SUV with the legendary Subaru all-wheel drive. It only has one problem that has knocked it off our short list...it requires premium fuel.
Jim,,,
Your killing me here, :) :D :) :D

Jim Becker
07-31-2005, 7:36 PM
Your killing me here,

Yea, I know, but it has to be said. It's about time these car companies started paying attention to things like cost of operation for what is supposed to be a nice (albeit upscale) family vehicle. They're all hung up on "having the most powerful" engine and they are doing it by increasing compression ratios, etc...which results in the need for the higher octane. Acura, BMW, VW, and others all have done this and it disappoints me. I never expected it from Subaru...it just doesn't fit!:o

I honestly like the B9 a lot; even the "look" has grown on me since you first posted about it at "that other place" a number of months ago. As a previous Subaru owner (Forrester), we also value highly the AWD system that is unequalled. The B9 also has really nice equipment appointments.

And in fairness, there are other things with other manufacturers that also make me blink. For example, I really like the idea of the Highlander Hybrid Limited since we've been so pleased with our Prius. But I did the calculations and the payback for the extra $5K at cost would take about 7 years to break-even (6 with the one-time tax deduction)...really more considering I can get a "deal" on the regular Limited "it slices, it dices" model that increases the cost spread even more. We will likely end up with the Highlander as our family vehicle, although will be test driving the Ford Freestyle AWD crossover and Toyota Sienna AWD minivan as a sanity check.

Darrick Robbins
07-31-2005, 9:13 PM
Guys,
I bought an old house a couple of years ago and inherited an old water bed (left in attic). It is now gone except for the 8" x 8" pads that were around the outside. You can buy any SUV with a roof rack and if you put these 5 pads on the top you can tie anything down with a couple of straps. No it will not hold a dozen sheets but you are good up to 4 or 5. Works like a charm and everytime I go to the local hardwood store somebody says Wow thats a great idea. Sorry I can't take credit, I just bought the right house.:) Good luck
Darrick

Chris Padilla
08-01-2005, 1:36 AM
Cowboys? and the Broncos? America's team??????????????????
:D NO WAY I ALWAYS thought it was the CHIEFS :) . Tell me again where are the Cowboys and the Broncos from?

Hehehe...Chiefs' fans slay me....

Dan McGuire
08-01-2005, 4:43 PM
For driving comfort and all around utility you can not beat a minivan. I have owned 4. It is my experience that the best vehicle combination for a family is a minivan and a pick-up truck. All of the minivans I owned were Dodge Grand Caravans. A sheet sheet of plywood would fit nicely in the back with seats removed. That was vehicle I used when I finished my basement to haul all the building material from 2 x 4's to sheet rock. Now with the Stow and Go feature it is even easier. I must admit that I spent 12 years working for the company and would not bite the hand that fed me, but the vans served me well (still is, I bought a new one before I left the company).

Chris,

A Bronco fan :eek: As intelligent as you come across in your posts I would have pegged you for a Chiefs fan all along :) Go Chiefs