PDA

View Full Version : Best forum to sell a lathe?

Len Rosenberg
02-02-2015, 4:11 PM
I am not a turner. I bought a lathe in the 90's, intending to learn to use it, but never took it out of its shipping crate.

I posted it for sale on the Sawmill Creek classified on 1-27-15, , but have not received any inquiry or interest.

What would be the best way of selling this lathe?

Many thanks.

Len

Tim Rinehart
02-02-2015, 4:42 PM
local turning clubs perhaps...
Craigslist (but gotta be careful there anymore)
eBay

Shawn Pachlhofer
02-02-2015, 5:05 PM
for that lathe - I think you'll have a hard time selling it.

but a tip I would give - remove it from the crate and set it up - then take pictures.

Show someone exactly what they are buying...not the pieces in a crate.

Dick Strauss
02-12-2015, 10:48 AM
I agree with Shawn...set it up and show it unless you market it as a museum piece.

Asking 50-65% of retail is a good idea. It looks similar to the one on the Record website that is currently selling for $450 including some extra goodies, but I could be completely off base since I can't see it assembled.

In general, the tube lathes are not well thought of... (see Craftsman/Palmgren tube lathe). Because of its design, you may want to err on the low side for your price.

You will probably have to price it similar to a used Jet 1014 to get a bite from someone that is just starting to turn.

Good luck with the sale.

dave churscial
02-12-2015, 11:56 AM
i would sell it on craigslist as it is free and you can post pictures, you have to watch out for scammers, when they ask about having it shipped, take warning, don't list your address or phone number, i have bought and sold many things on craigslist and never has a bad experience, i try to exchange several emails before giving out a phone number. you can list your tool in the tool section.