PDA

View Full Version : Sooo jealous

Rick Potter
02-02-2015, 1:52 PM
My adult daughter tutors here at our house. Today, a 16 year old student pulls up in a really nice looking '65 Mustang coupe, that he has driven before. Today, it looked a lot nicer. He took her out to look at it, and I had to take a look too.

His dad worked for Ford for years, and this is their father son project. The last time he brought it, it was a really nice, clean car with a 6 cyl. and a nice paint job. This time, it had just gotten back from 'the shop', and the interior was brand new, spot on original, new gages, power windows, the works. Everything underneath has also just been done, new suspension, 9" rear, 306 Ford crate motor with automatic overdrive trans, power steering, brakes, air conditioning, aluminum radiator, etc. etc.

I am sooo jealous. It's done just the way I would have done it if I had the money.

Paul McGaha
02-02-2015, 1:55 PM
Sounds nice Rick.

PHM

Stew Hagerty
02-02-2015, 3:02 PM
I feel for you Rick. I've several of those "if only" cars in my life. While I did own a '68 Z28 (original 302 with matching #'s) for several years, I always was looking around to see what else was around. One day I ran across a Superbird.
Yup a High Winged beast. Oh, I couldn't afford it of course. Or more precisely, I couldn't afford to keep it and still be able to buy food & clothes, etc. But what I did have was enough money to buy it; that is, as long as I didn't keep it for long.
Well I just happened to know a guy that was looking for one, and I also knew that he was willing to pay for one, as long as it was in decent shape for it's age.
So I bought it, fixed a few things such as a water pump, brakes, and the linkage on one of the headlight doors. Then, after about a month's work, I gave my friend a call. Counting what I paid for it and the repairs including a little something for my time, I still made about $3000. And that was in '89.

Jim Koepke
02-02-2015, 3:57 PM
My oldest brother bought a new Mustang when they first came out back in 1964.

I do not know how many times that car was stolen. This was before he was married. When his oldest son was about 20 or so he got the keys. He got tired of it getting stolen all the time and eventually sold it.

My wife love the Mustang and wants to have one some day.

Give me a good pick up truck any day. I don't even care much who made it as long as it isn't one of those miniature jobs.

jtk

Dan Hintz
02-02-2015, 5:38 PM
Had a Metallic Gold '67 Camaro (Rally Supersport) for a short period of time... dad hitchhiked to the factory in Michigan paid cash, and drove it right off of the assembly line. It disappeared when he had to put a new roof on the house :(

Stew Hagerty
02-02-2015, 6:15 PM
My dad had a '68 Hurst Olds. Rocket 455 with Hurst Dual Gate shifter. Man I loved that car. But to this day I'm mad at my mom. Yeah... She made him sell it just a few weeks before I turned 16!!! Just like this one;

I even found a 68 H/O Christmas Tree Ornament. I scowl at her every year as I put it on the tree (it's our fun little tradition).

Rich Riddle
02-02-2015, 6:57 PM
Rick,

This takes up half the shop. A couple years ago a contractor saw my garage door up and offered me $100 for the Powermatic 143 I restored and $1000 for this 65 Mustang. Such a generous fellow. Visit the Cincy area and you can drive it.

Rick Potter
02-02-2015, 10:22 PM
Oh, Rich,

That's piling on:(, but I'll be there in three days. Wait up for me.

Thanks guys, for feeling my pain. I almost bought one new, but got a '65 GTO instead. Hold your breath, now.............$3,330 out the door. I have had well over a hundred cars, but no early Mustang.

Oh, yeah. When I was 16 I had saved up money for a car, and my dad MADE ME buy Grandpa's '55 Dodge station wagon with a flathead six. I never forgave him for that either. I made his life miserable until he gave me my money back and sold the car, about 6 months later. Immediately bought a '53 Ford convertible.

Bert Kemp
02-02-2015, 10:24 PM
and a 16 year old is driving it, tell your daughter to up her tutoring prices LOL :D