PDA

View Full Version : Another Leather Question...

Michele Welch
02-02-2015, 12:00 PM
Hi y'all! I know there are a million and one posts about leather and I have looked through quite a few of them. But they just didn't quite answer my questions, so I'm turning to those I trust the most that usually have all the answers :)

I'm wanting to experiment with leather on my new Rabbit 80w machine, but what kind of leather. I've heard veg tan is great but stay away from oiled. What's the best places to possibly get scraps to use and how do I know what I'm getting? I picked up a grab bag at Hobby Lobby of all kinds of end scrappy pieces, but it didn't even say what kind of leather it was. I have a contact locally that makes all things leather and he's going to bring me several types of scraps to play with and if I can get my settings just right he said I'd have the job as his #1 "go to gal" for engraving his items. I'm just at a loss trying to figure out what the best type would be?

Here's just 1 picture of a leather cuff, I found this on Etsy, but is doesn't say what kind of leather. It appears to be a bit more flexible leather, softer, than what I picked up at Hobby Lobby, which is much stiffer?

Any help is appreciated!!!

Mike Null
02-02-2015, 12:27 PM
Michele

I would do a search of SMC previous posts using "leather" as your search term.

There is a distinct difference between engraving and cutting. Most leather can be successfully cut with your laser depending on the thickness of the leather and the amount of charring that is acceptable. But it takes a little more know-how and knowledge of leathers to engrave. I find the best for engraving is vegetable tanned cowhide. That is not to say other types cannot be engraved but very thin leathers are likely to turn brittle upon engraving and you may not be able to see a clear image with some dyes.

Bert Kemp
02-02-2015, 1:04 PM
Veg tan leather is perfect for this you can engrave it, dye it what ever color and then sheen it for protection, you want a medium weight about 3 or 4 oz or 3 to 4 mm if you will. Oil tan would be ok but you can't dye it you have to take the colors you can fine it in, its softer then veg tan but much harder to cut on the laser. Veg tan cuts easy and softens up nice with wear. If the bracelets were the type of thing your looking at these 2 will work fine , just remember oil is very hard to cut and the edges will char bad, veg will char some also but I think its easier to clean up.
Veg tan leather is stif when you get it has a flesh tone color to it, the thicker it is the stiffer it is. Oil tan comes in many colors, is satin sheen and pretty soft and pliable when you get it. Don't know if you have a Tandy near by but thats a good place to get leather . Leather unlimited online. also Brettuns Village Leather Craft Supplies (http://www.brettunsvillage.com/) in Maine has a great list of stuff small srcap bags of all kinds of leather. I might look there first. Also read their description for a good laugh. hope this helps.

Mike Troncalli
02-02-2015, 2:02 PM
There is a place in Lubbock Texas that sells veg-tan leather scraps by the pound. $7.99

www (dot) sdtradingco (dot) com

Doug Novic
02-15-2015, 3:59 PM
Michele,

I do a lot of leather detailing and cutting. The tan leather shows engraving well. Since the laser darkens the leather black is close to useless for engraving.

For cutting, most leather works well. Just make sure it is real leather and not synthetic. I generally seal the leather prior to engraving and this makes the clean up easy or otherwise you will rub the burnt particles into the leather and it will not clean up.

I bought 20 pounds of split hide tan leather scraps on e-bay for $12.00 plus shipping. I use this for everything. One thing to watch is the ounce weight. Try to stay around 7 - 10 oz leather. This is a thicker stock and easy to cut.

Good Luck