PDA

View Full Version : Stanley 42x

Stewie Simpson
02-02-2015, 5:51 AM
The hammer tip on my early 42x was no longer making close contact with the anvil. I had purchased new replacement springs thinking that would resolve the problem but that didn't help. The fault was the actual length of the tip. Or lack of to be more precise. I had an Eclipse 77 saw set in very good condition just gathering dust in the workshop. So I pulled it apart and noticed that the parts I needed were of very similar dimension. Hmm. Guess what. They are perfect match. The parts I am referring too are the large outer sleeve, the inner piston(hammer), and both the springs. Swapped these parts over. Tested out the my 42x. Sweet as. http://woodworkerszone.com/igits/images/smilies/clapping.gif

Stewie.

Derek Cohen
02-02-2015, 6:20 AM
Interesting Stewie.

Why do you prefer the #42 to the #77? (I find the #77 easier to use - I have modified the anvil and hammer for smaller teeth).

Regards from Perth

Derek

Stewie Simpson
02-02-2015, 7:44 AM
Hi Derek. That's not too hard to explain. I have more than 1 #77 available. Their cheap and easy to find on ebay. But I only have 1 #42x. These are much more difficult to purchase at a reasonable price. The #42x IMO has some design benefits over the #77 for use on fine tpi backsaws.

I am aware of the discussion a while back to reshape, and then reharden the face of the #77 anvil. I believe Pedder was the impetus for others to follow his lead.

regards Stewie;

Jim Koepke
02-02-2015, 12:31 PM
What no pictures?

Pictures are always helpful.

jtk

Mike Allen1010
02-03-2015, 1:50 PM
I had an Eclipse 77 saw set in very good condition just gathering dust in the workshop. So I pulled it apart and noticed that the parts I needed were of very similar dimension. Hmm. Guess what. They are perfect match. The parts I am referring too are the large outer sleeve, the inner piston(hammer), and both the springs. Swapped these parts over. Tested out the my 42x. Sweet as. http://woodworkerszone.com/igits/images/smilies/clapping.gif

Stewie.

Thanks a lot Stewie, this is a super practical tip! I have done a little tinkering with 42X (some of where itch left the tool completely unusable:eek:) and it's great to know that these parts from the eclipse fit. I will be on the lookout for one of those.

Best, Mike