PDA

View Full Version : Card Catalog

Tomy Head
07-26-2005, 7:28 PM
A friend has asked me to make for her a Card Catalog Cabinet and I have not been able to find a source for the hardware to adjust for the quantity of cards. Does anyone have a source or other design solution?

Jamie Buxton
07-26-2005, 7:56 PM
KV makes that stuff. They sell index followers of two sizes, and the track to go with it. www.wwhardware.com is one source. Search on that site with "index follower".

Norman Hitt
07-26-2005, 8:04 PM
Tomy, you can actually do it without any hardware, as an option. Just cut a dovetail slot in the center of the drawer bottom, (running lengthwise in the drawer), and then make the, (I'll call it a divider or holder), and cut a corresponding dovetail on the bottom of it, but make it so it is a fairly loose fit in the groove. To use it, you just hold it perpendicular to the bottom and slide it along the groove to whatever position you want it in the drawer, and as soon as you tilt it off of perpendicular, the dovetail binds it in place in place.

I know this isn't what you had in mind, but it might be a workable alternative for you. I've seen these used in file cabinets, and music record storeage drawers, etc.

Jack Hogoboom
07-27-2005, 12:04 PM
I think his "Normness" did something similar in a CD cabinet he built a few years ago. You could adjust his plans to fit the smaller size.

Jack

Randy Moore
07-27-2005, 7:56 PM
Tomy,

:) I don't have any info for you but I do want to welcome you to the creek! There is a lot of smart woodworkers in this Creek. Don't be bashful on asking questions or giving suggestions. We are a friendly bunch here.

Randy