PDA

View Full Version : Delta Contractor Saw Ad

Aaron Funk
02-01-2015, 8:47 PM
Hi all,

New to the forum and in the hunt for a used table saw. I've been reading the forums on different Delta contractor table saws, but I'm unable to tell if the saw at the link here is one of the preferred saws. Thanks ahead of time.

Brian Henderson
02-01-2015, 9:24 PM
I don't know that there is a preferred Delta saw anymore, no matter which one you get, you're going to have problems getting parts for it. The saw in the ad has stamped steel wings, which are not a good idea. It's also clearly not in very good shape, covered in cobwebs and rust. If the person placing the ad can't even sweep the dust off of the saw before taking a picture, clearly they didn't take very good care of it.

Bruce Wrenn
02-01-2015, 10:06 PM
It's an older Model 10, American made saw. I've got two, one in the shop, and one that goes to job sites. Because they were made by the hundreds of thousands, so parts from used are readily available.

Rick Potter
02-02-2015, 1:58 AM
Stick to the ones with a cast iron top, and a motor hanging out the back. They did make some that were 'motorized' saws, which had a direct drive motor without a belt, and I believe some were run with a cable drive. The fence on that one is called a Jet Lock fence. It is not the latest and greatest, but it is a solid serviceable fence, unlike the fence on most older Craftsman saws where they ran on angle iron. The nicer ones have a 1 1/2 HP motor, and I have seen some with a 2 HP.

Naturally, you should run the blade up and down, and tilt it. It may be stiff from lack of lube, but if it is smooth running that is minor. Wiggle the blade and see if the arbor has any side to side play. Try running it, and if it vibrates, run it with out the belt, as that often has taken a 'set'. The newer the saw, the lighter weight the stand is, you should be able to find a sturdy one. On older saws the stand has legs that bend out at the bottom. I have not seen very many with cast iron wings, since they weigh more, and the contractor saw was made to move. As long as the sheet metal wings are not bent, they should be fine, but I would go with cast if you can find one with them.

Mike williams54
02-02-2015, 2:29 AM
I have the Rockwell version of the saw with a 1-3/4hp motor, it's a good solid saw. I stripped mine down and repainted it and lubed everything, the fence is decent, but $150 is pretty steep for it. I've seen near pristine ones here in Utah go for under $100. Maybe Dallas is just a more expensive area.as far as delta "prefered" contractor saw, I'm not sure, their Unisaw however I think would be their most preffered machine they have ever made.

Danny Hamsley
02-02-2015, 8:16 AM
I had one very similar to that one, and it provided very good service. I sold it a few years ago and replaced it with a Sawstop.

Aaron Funk
02-02-2015, 9:40 AM
Thank you all very much for the wisdom and sage advice.