PDA

View Full Version : Gimmick Tools

Rich Riddle
02-01-2015, 8:06 PM
I attended the Columbus Woodworking Show this weekend. Most of the tools shown/demonstrated seemed more along the line of gimmick tools as opposed to those that would really serve a purpose. Has anyone else noticed that? There were far fewer retailers this year as opposed to those in the past, so perhaps that's the reason for the over-representation.

Curt Stivison
02-01-2015, 9:00 PM
I don't go to the show at the fairgrounds any more. A better event is at the Woodwerks store on the east side of Columbus. All major brands reps are there and good discounts on tools, accessories and wood. Also free subs and drinks.
Curt

Brian Tymchak
02-02-2015, 8:43 AM
Yes, I choose to go to Woodwerks now too. As you mentioned, better mix of tools and the reps to talk to.

Did you happen to see that stack of Curly Ambrosia in the back corner of the board room? Not a big fan of ambrosia, but I thought the curl was incredible, and I imagine the combination of the curl and ambrosia is fairly rare. I was trying real hard to justify throwing some of that on my racks at home for some unknown future use, but just couldn't pull the trigger. I had already dropped a bunch of $$$ on a Mirka sander so I was being a bit money conscientious, but I'm probably going to regret that at some point...

Curt Stivison
02-02-2015, 12:01 PM
Brian,
I go there often. They always have some neat stuff in the wood room. Shopping there is always a good experience.
Curt

Peter Aeschliman
02-02-2015, 12:17 PM
I attended the Columbus Woodworking Show this weekend. Most of the tools shown/demonstrated seemed more along the line of gimmick tools as opposed to those that would really serve a purpose. Has anyone else noticed that? There were far fewer retailers this year as opposed to those in the past, so perhaps that's the reason for the over-representation.

That's my view on most of the woodworking products I see in the mailers I get from Rockler and Woodcraft. Unfortunately hobbyists, especially those new to the hobby, seem to make the mistake of buying gimmicky tools and accessories because they think they need them... and that ongoing demand is what keeps these products coming.

Actually this is a difference between Rockler and Woodcraft that I've noticed over the last few years, at least the stores in Seattle. My experience is that Woodcraft has much more of the staple tools than Rockler. I can browse the Woodcraft store for hours looking at all of the hand tools and other high end stuff. But Rockler really seems to push the little gimmicky things, like those hockey puck things for your benchtop, or overly-accessorized router tables, etc.

Just my perception/experience. Others' experiences probably vary!

Chris Hachet
02-02-2015, 2:25 PM
Brian,
I go there often. They always have some neat stuff in the wood room. Shopping there is always a good experience.
Curt

I will second that.

Chris Hachet
02-02-2015, 2:26 PM
That's my view on most of the woodworking products I see in the mailers I get from Rockler and Woodcraft. Unfortunately hobbyists, especially those new to the hobby, seem to make the mistake of buying gimmicky tools and accessories because they think they need them... and that ongoing demand is what keeps these products coming.

Actually this is a difference between Rockler and Woodcraft that I've noticed over the last few years, at least the stores in Seattle. My experience is that Woodcraft has much more of the staple tools than Rockler. I can browse the Woodcraft store for hours looking at all of the hand tools and other high end stuff. But Rockler really seems to push the little gimmicky things, like those hockey puck things for your benchtop, or overly-accessorized router tables, etc.

Just my perception/experience. Others' experiences probably vary!

I am really liking Christopher Schwartz approach of good hand tool skills and a simple set of high quality tools. You will get much, much further IMHO actually working wood this way than you ever will with a million gimmicky tools.

Chris Hachet
02-02-2015, 2:28 PM
I don't go to the show at the fairgrounds any more. A better event is at the Woodwerks store on the east side of Columbus. All major brands reps are there and good discounts on tools, accessories and wood. Also free subs and drinks.
Curt

The only reason I went was that I got a free ticket from another woodworker. Wood Werks is one of the better things about living in Columbus....along with the Buckeyes, Bluejackets, and Thurman Cafe.

Rich Riddle
02-02-2015, 3:35 PM
One of the vendors demonstrating a tool asked if I had questions or wanted to purchase the tool. I explained a router or table saw could perform the function just as well, and I owned both. A man standing next to me said he had both a table saw and router but still intended to purchase the item. The vendor said, "woodworker meet tool collector." It made me laugh.

Kent A Bathurst
02-02-2015, 4:48 PM
Unfortunately hobbyists, especially those new to the hobby, seem to make the mistake of buying gimmicky tools and accessories because they think they need them.

Yeah - have been helping a close friend as he moves at all deliberate speed to what will someday be a full shop. In the meantime - we/he can do a solid job on ply carcass bookcases, etc. THe only hardwood in play is pre-surfaced bits here and there - casework edging, nicer-than-base-level shelf or two, etc.

For a while, each time I went to visit, there on the bench was something that had been a highlighted/promoted gizmo from one of the major on-line retailers [from whom I buy on a fairly regular basis - no complaints there]. He would proudly show me what he had bought. Me "Well, as hard as they have been promoting it, I'd have guess someone had to buy it". He backed off after a few months.

The moral of the story - the solution is not in vehicle with more bells-and-whistles, it is in a better-trained driver who can keep it shiny-side up through the tough corners.

Bruce Wrenn
02-02-2015, 9:49 PM
Some tools seem too good to be true. When I first saw Kreg jig demoed in early nineties, I thought it was one. That was until I bought one. Now I own several different models, each used for a specific purpose. Another tool that didn't make it was "Dial a Dado." Using a half inch bit, you made first pass, then by adjusting base you could widen dado to exact size needed. Bought one, and use it regularly. Shame it didn't make it as it's a great tool. Dubby is another tool, which I resisted buying for years. Finally bought one and wanted to kick my backside for not buying one earlier. Does everything that Jerry Cole says it will do. Pat Warner's offset router base is another. After buying one on clearance, now several of my routers sport them. Some things you can make for pennies that serve just as well as store bought. I have jig for locating holes for 32 mm hinge plates that I could have bought from Rockler, but instead made from scrap. Same for door handle drilling guide. Loved watching Norm use his MEG jig for shelf pins, but was turned off by $400 price tag. Figured how to make my own, in either 32mm or 1 inch spacing, using either 5mm, or 1/4" pins. Less than five bucks a pop. Make them any length needed up to 96". After using a Biese fence, built my own for a lot less than selling price of genuine Biese. When NYW was on, Norm used a new tool on Saturday, on Monday vendors were flooded with orders.

Phil Barrett
02-02-2015, 10:21 PM
I agree that rockler seems to push more of the gimmick tools that WC but they both have a goodly share of "good story, mediocre experience" tools.

One that I was reluctant to buy was the Grrriper (or how ever you spell it) - it seemed a little gimmicky. But after watching the demo, I thought the safety benefits might just be worth it. I tend to be a bit of a sucker for things that look to improve my safety. I do use the grippers a fair amount but they certainly don't eliminate the need for feather boards and other hold down/anti kick devices.

Rich Riddle
02-03-2015, 6:47 AM
I agree that rockler seems to push more of the gimmick tools that WC but they both have a goodly share of "good story, mediocre experience" tools.

One that I was reluctant to buy was the Grrriper (or how ever you spell it) - it seemed a little gimmicky. But after watching the demo, I thought the safety benefits might just be worth it. I tend to be a bit of a sucker for things that look to improve my safety. I do use the grippers a fair amount but they certainly don't eliminate the need for feather boards and other hold down/anti kick devices.

Phil, I consider the Gripper tool more in line with safety equipment than a gimmick tool. Anything that can keep your fingers away from fast spinning metal objects has a purpose. I also like how it lets one get more to the side of the work than directly behind the work. That's advantageous for kickback scenarios. I use them at the router table, portable Bosch table saw, shaper, and jointer. Gimmick tools don't have that level of practicality.

Prashun Patel
02-03-2015, 9:09 AM
Innovation doesn't just happen in a vaccuum. It happens through trial and error, through launches and failures.

I bet if you look back in the catalogs from even the most venerated tool makers you'll find a bunch of gimmicks. Just like bad Charlie Brown specials, only the good ones survive over the years.

Phil Barrett
02-03-2015, 9:49 AM
Phil, I consider the Gripper tool more in line with safety equipment than a gimmick tool. Anything that can keep your fingers away from fast spinning metal objects has a purpose. I also like how it lets one get more to the side of the work than directly behind the work. That's advantageous for kickback scenarios. I use them at the router table, portable Bosch table saw, shaper, and jointer. Gimmick tools don't have that level of practicality.

Guess, I should have been explicit - when I said "I do use the grippers a fair amount" perhaps not everyone got that I don't think they are a gimmick. And, there are safety gimmicks out there...

Chris Hachet
02-03-2015, 9:53 AM
One of the vendors demonstrating a tool asked if I had questions or wanted to purchase the tool. I explained a router or table saw could perform the function just as well, and I owned both. A man standing next to me said he had both a table saw and router but still intended to purchase the item. The vendor said, "woodworker meet tool collector." It made me laugh.

Surprisingly true....

Chris Hachet
02-03-2015, 9:56 AM

Grrriper seems like a solid tool though. I only use my table saw for long rips, most of my cuts are by hand. Were I to use my table saw more, one of these would be in my shop.

Scott Vigder
02-03-2015, 9:10 PM
Grrriper seems like a solid tool though. I only use my table saw for long rips, most of my cuts are by hand. Were I to use my table saw more, one of these would be in my shop.

The Grripper is great on the jointer, too. I have four of them, two for the table saw and two for the jointer. I have become very comfortable with the hand-over-hand method. Grrippers give me a lot of confidence.