PDA

View Full Version : My Latest Shop Tool

Bob Noles
07-26-2005, 7:24 PM
This "IS" considered a WW tool isn't it? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

96* out in the shop right now at 7:15PM EST and I have had all I can stand.

Standard Borg model 8500 btu for a 210sf shop. Yep.... this should do it :D :D

I'll be out putting it in the window if anyone is looking for me :p :p

Frankie Hunt
07-26-2005, 7:28 PM
Cool!

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. I just added a 2nd unit to my shop. They are very small units.

Frankie :)

Corey Hallagan
07-26-2005, 7:59 PM
Ha ha.... Bob is just sitting back a chillin :) Nice gloat there Bob. I wish I had that, 103-104 temps over the weekend...... no WWking getting done here!! Congrats and enjoy.

Corey

Jim Becker
07-26-2005, 8:22 PM
Good move. Even if it doesn't drop the temp all the way into the 70s, it will certainly help remove a lot of the humidity that makes higher temps stifling.

Despite the fact that I haven't been in the shop making sawdust all month, I did use my A/C in there today to keep a couple of birthday cakes cool... ;)

Chris Barton
07-26-2005, 8:33 PM
Has anyone else noticed that Jim keeps changing....?

Chris

Corey Hallagan
07-26-2005, 8:36 PM
Has anyone else noticed that Jim keeps changing....?

Chris

Uhuh..... he seems to be having alot of fun!! I wonder if it has anything to do with those 2 kids??? :)

Corey

Corey Hallagan
07-26-2005, 8:38 PM
Bob, even if you don't get any wood working done, it will still be a nice cool place to go and get some reading etc. done and just hang out in your man cave!!

Bob Noles
07-26-2005, 9:36 PM
Thanks guys.....

I had that rascal installed in less than 20 minutes after I posted the picture and in less than 30 minutes after that a comfortable 78* and still dropping. Wow... what a difference. Now maybe I can spend some time out there in the evenings after work instead of in the house wishing I was out there. I'd be willing to bet I can get a cool 72* out there in the little block building with that thing. Of course I'll have to work on keeping the dust filtered well and I have been checking out other's ideas in some recent threads here.

I have been trying to add at least one major tool per month and I think this is the best tool I could have got this month.

And yes Chris.... I am a little concerned about Mr. Becker.... he doesn't look well lately :eek:

Y'all stay cool and safe in this heat wave.

Mike Cutler
07-26-2005, 9:38 PM
Well Bob. let's see.

It plugs into the wall, and has a motor....

It makes noise....

It will filter dust....

It will gather dust....

You will have to clean it periodically....

Someday you will probably have to repair it....

It has a somewhat limited esoteric application...

You will eventually want to upgrade it....

Hmmm... sure sounds like a "tool" to me. ;)

Doug Shepard
07-26-2005, 9:44 PM
This "IS" considered a WW tool isn't it? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Darn right. I would have gotten 5 times as much done over the last several weeks if I had one of those tools in my shop.

Nice score.

Don Selke
07-26-2005, 10:09 PM
Hi Bob:

Good investment, I will take your 96 degrees any time, it was 112 here in Phoenix AZ area today and we will not see 96 until October if we are lucky. I have a 18,000BTU window unit in the shop but do not run it after 11AM. Make sure that you keep the filters clean as they soil fast with sawdust especially if hand sanding. I clean my filters every third day to keep a good supply of air moving thru the cooling chamber.

John Miliunas
07-26-2005, 10:45 PM
Way to go, Bob! Congrats and a super tool!!! :) I don't honestly believe I could hack out in the shop without the AC. I believe mine is right around 12K BTU and, in the almost 1000 sq/ft. it covers, this last heatwave yielded me shop temps of 78° at the very most. Quite bareable, my thinks, especially when the outside "heat index" was close to 110°!:) :cool:

Lee DeRaud
07-26-2005, 11:01 PM
Has anyone else noticed that Jim keeps changing....?Maybe...naw, can't be: full moon was last week.

Eddie Watkins
07-27-2005, 10:17 AM
I installed a new A/C this weekend and it has made quite a difference. It seems like it is more comfortable to work at about 82 with the humidity removed. I started out at 76 and slowly raised it until I found a comfortable temp for me. Also bought at the blue box store. Found a 24,000 BTU for $335. By the time I added a window and electrical circuit it cost close to $500. My shop is 24x30x12 metal building with moderate insulation and I don't believe I could have cooled it with any smaller unit. Amazing how getting old makes you wiser.;) I used to think I enjoyed the heat.:o

Eddie

mike lucas
07-27-2005, 11:29 AM
I have a much smaller one then that, (I think it is 6500 BTU) and it kept my shop at or below 80* with low humidity (And the humidity is what really rust the tools, and cooks you!) All this while we were 98* with 82% humidity outside, with a heat index of 116*. And in 80* weather, I can keep it at 65* if I want to. But I do have R-19 in the walls, and R-35 in the ceiling. But my shop is 32'X34'X9'4" I try to keep it between 74-78 degree but sometimes that don't happen.

Oh ya, an AC unit is indeed a tool for anyone that lives where it gets above about 80* or so. Congratulations!

mike lucas
07-27-2005, 11:36 AM
Hi Bob:

Good investment, I will take your 96 degrees any time, it was 112 here in Phoenix AZ area today and we will not see 96 until October if we are lucky. I have a 18,000BTU window unit in the shop but do not run it after 11AM. Make sure that you keep the filters clean as they soil fast with sawdust especially if hand sanding. I clean my filters every third day to keep a good supply of air moving thru the cooling chamber.

112* sounds bad untill you factor in the humidity. A couple days on the weather channel they were showing the temps and humidity, Phoenix was 111* with a heat index of 102* while Cincinnati, Ohio was 98* with a heat index of 117* :eek:

Jack Hogoboom
07-27-2005, 11:59 AM
Any of you guys ever see an A/C unit that you can put in a standard basement window? I'd love some A/C for the really hot months, but my shop is in the basement so it'd be nearly impossible to hang a regular window unit.

Jack

Michael Ballent
07-27-2005, 12:04 PM
112* sounds bad untill you factor in the humidity. A couple days on the weather channel they were showing the temps and humidity, Phoenix was 111* with a heat index of 102* while Cincinnati, Ohio was 98* with a heat index of 117* :eek:

I think that they are fibbing about the temp being 111º and heat index of 102º I have been in my car as they are claiming its 105º while my car is registering 113º and its humid as all heck... ok its 30-40% humidity but factor in the temp and its miserable :mad:

Mike Stanton
07-27-2005, 12:11 PM
It looks like jim is having too much fun.Mike

Bob Noles
07-27-2005, 4:45 PM
Got in from the office about an hour ago and it is 98* outside so I went out to the shop and turned the new AC down from 82* to 75*. Half hour later the shop is a a nice comfortable 75* and the AC is cycling in maintenance mode.

WOW... what a difference.... Why did I wait so long to get the best tool in the shop? I feel like it was about the best $135 I have spent out there.

Gonna be some WW going on tonight :D

Steve Clardy
07-27-2005, 6:14 PM
Yep. Thats a cool tool.
But it would take about ten of those to cool mine. Oh well.

mike lucas
07-28-2005, 10:04 AM
I think that they are fibbing about the temp being 111º and heat index of 102º I have been in my car as they are claiming its 105º while my car is registering 113º and its humid as all heck... ok its 30-40% humidity but factor in the temp and its miserable :mad:
I am sure the weather report I heard was not the hotest time of day out west. As I seem to recall it being about 4:00pm east coast time. And I think that any humidity under 45-50 percent lowers the heat index, while humidity over 70% really starts adding heat index fast. (I am not sure of the exact percentages!)

Needless to say, you guys have 100+ for months on end, where we have breaks where like today. Where the forcast high is 78* with lower humidity. (Only 60%) So if that turns out to be correct, the heat index will be more like 82-84 degree. Right now at 10:00am it is about 64* with 88% humidity. Humidity is always highest in the morning.