PDA

View Full Version : no power to my laser

Linda Mehlenbacher
02-01-2015, 3:14 PM
Hi! I've posted here before on this same issue I had with my laser.....I also sent this to Epilog too. I've been looking around on this site for similar problems and it looks like maybe the power supply or maybe the mother board, not sure... I thought maybe someone might have an idea of what my problem would be.
I have an Epilog mini 24 - I bought it in Feb 2008.
Friday I ran a job engraving and cutting and it ran fine. Saturday, I ran a job and it stopped and read x/y disabled. I shut it off and restarted a job and that happened again. Restarted it again and then the power went out to it (as I was into a job)and it went back on and then it went back to the home position. I restarted it and then the power completely stopped and I haven't been able to start it since. I've had this happen occasionally over the last 2 years and just thought it was the power cord I always wiggled the cord and it started....maybe coincidence? (a year and a half ago I called on this same thing to Epilog - then it started working as I was talking to the tech and it worked fine after (he was perturbed at me thinking I just didn't have it plugged in all the way - but it did work fine after). I took all the covers off today and looked at the harnesses, no obstructions - it is super clean. Power cord is plugged in ok....there is power going to it because there is one red light on on the circuit board - the left one (if that helps)but nothing is happening at all. Any idea of what it could be? I do have my laser in a temperature controlled clean room with plenty of room on all sides. Thanks for any help!

Linda Mehlenbacher
02-02-2015, 6:48 PM
Just in case any one was curious - it was my mother board. Should be back in business in two days!

Bert Kemp
02-04-2015, 12:15 PM
Thanks for the update:) wish more people would tell us how they made out. Its helpful to everybody to know how their problem was fixed. I know we weren't able to help you this particular time,but so many drop in here ask for and receive all kinds of help and poof their gone never to be heard from again. :(

Just in case any one was curious - it was my mother board. Should be back in business in two days!

Linda Mehlenbacher
02-06-2015, 7:42 PM
Hmmm - I got my new mother board today and still have the same problem....Epilog is sending me another mother board. I don't think that is the problem. Still seems to me there's a short somewhere causing it to shut down. $599 plus shipping for a mother board.

Rich Harman
02-06-2015, 9:14 PM
I've had this happen occasionally over the last 2 years and just thought it was the power cord I always wiggled the cord and it started....

Have you tried a different power cord? Also, sometimes outlets wear out such that they do not make good contact with the plug's prongs anymore - or there could be some other problem with the outlet.

Using a different power cord and a different outlet (with extension cord if necessary) should allow you to rule that out as the problem, or reveal it to actually be the problem.

joe claudio
02-06-2015, 9:36 PM
... From what I "understand" it seems like a longterm "intermitant " problem. I would suggest looking in detail the power cord. start fresh with a new power cord, an IN PARTICULAR.. look at the MACHINE connector- as you stated .. when you wiggle it works ( for a while) .. "must connect " there is a lot of "tollerance " on conenctors .....
Unrelated but possibly help full to D/K chinese 40 watt systems... IN THE MACHINE power conector .. there is A FUSE ( small glass type) its under a "cover" on the machine .... You need a small screw driver to pop the flap up and check it . Alot of " Complete power off- even though I have it on"- but uhave no lights , no indication that u have "power" .. other then u have "everything on"

Linda Mehlenbacher
02-06-2015, 9:42 PM
I mentioned the power cord to Epilog - he didn't think that was the problem. I think because there is a red light that is lit on the mother board (D15). Another Epilog Tech said: "D15 light is indicating that power is getting to the control board, but it doesn't know what to do with it from there because the voltage regulator has failed." But - that D15 light was the only light on this new mother board "before" I got it to run for a short time after I put it in. Then my laser stopped totally and the one D15 light was on again.
I'll try another outlet and find a new power cord tomorrow....somewhere - can't hurt to try! Thanks for your help!

joe claudio
02-06-2015, 10:57 PM
Hi,
if you have issues and need to "talk" .. local northeast ressource - contact Jeff Aichinger, Class act engraving. 716 984-7321 dealer / user ....

joe claudio
02-06-2015, 11:18 PM
A moment of Clarity !
never plug /use a laser printer into a power strip
never plug/use a laser engraver into a power strip
Never have your computer, laser engraver,scanner on the same "circut".. same power strip
" got to keep 'em seperated"....

Linda Mehlenbacher
02-07-2015, 9:39 AM
Oh yes - Jeff, I bought my laser through him. I may have to call him. I'll see what I can do today and get a power cord and check connections first.

joe claudio
02-07-2015, 9:45 AM
Another thought..... perhaps the EPO ( emercgeny power off) switch is activated? ...Ive done that my self on more then one occasion !

John Noell
02-07-2015, 11:14 AM
Hmmm - I got my new mother board today and still have the same problem....Epilog is sending me another mother board. I don't think that is the problem. Still seems to me there's a short somewhere causing it to shut down. $599 plus shipping for a mother board. Yep, they like to diagnose "bad motherboard" and sell you a new one. I had to pay duty and VAT on top of cost and shipping, only to find out I had the same issue. My problem turned out to be their buggy 64 bit driver (pretty new at the time). Very frustrating - and EXPENSIVE. They can't test the motherboard (and maybe say, "oops, would you like your good one back?")?

Linda Mehlenbacher
02-10-2015, 7:13 PM
OK - maybe this may be helpful to someone...... So, I got another new mother board - called Epilog after I put it in - I had to unplug the x, y and z motors, pointer and the tube so there was no power going to them. I turned the machine back on and only the one light was lit to the M.B. which was the same one as before:D15. The tech "Jeff" had me plug in the two ribbon connectors (into the M.B.) and the larger harness and turn back it on - nothing - just the D15 light. I unplugged the larger harness and plugged in the smaller one (still having the two ribbons connected) and all the lights came on and the display was lit reading x y disabled y (because there was no power to them). We're not sure yet what it is - something from that main harness, which I guess goes to a lot of things.....they are going to call me tomorrow and try some other tests that are coming from that main harness to see what it is.......Very helpful at Epilog!!

Linda Mehlenbacher
02-11-2015, 7:31 PM
When I got home from work I hit the switch to turn on my laser.....and nothing - D15 light lit on the mother board and that was it. Waiting for Epilog to call me, I started to look at the wiring harnesses around the Y motor and that go up under the display in the front right above the inside of the door - sure enough there was my problem! Ether the wire was pinched (going to a sensor) or the small harness was slightly disconnected and caused that only D15 light to come on. Who would have knew! I put my old mother board in and it was working fine - Epilog said I can send the new one back and I'll be refunded...Nice! They where extremely helpful and actually told me that same place to look when the tech called.

Linda Mehlenbacher
02-14-2015, 8:58 AM
That didn't last long! Back to laser not working..... A post I made here before on this same problem, someone mentioned the front door interlocks - would that cause a laser to shut down totally? I ran it for a while Thursday and it would stop at the same spot reading either (both, but separate times) X Y disabled y then another time X Y disabled X then another time all power went out and back on...last night was similar but this time it stopped and wont start again. Absolutely nothing! Huh, how frustrating.

Jerome Stanek
02-14-2015, 10:39 AM
It almost sounds like a loose or broken wire some where.

Randy Allen
02-14-2015, 12:10 PM
As as an Epilog Sales Tech myself, (Texas and surrounding states), unfortunately, I don't have an immediate solution for you, I think you've done all you can do.

Options:

It would be my suggestion see if Epilog can send a replacement wire harness & motherboard to fix it for good.
Otherwise, shipping the Mini to Colorado for diagnosis and repair might be in order.

For manufactures and customers both, these are the toughest issues to troubleshoot. Intermittent wire harness issues are few and far between, but no doubt they can be frustrating.
Oh and pinched wires, bent pins do not discriminate against a high-end laser or a dishwasher. Which my wife, not patiently waiting for me to fix. ugh.

Hang in there, I hope you'll be up and running soon.

Randy Allen

That didn't last long! Back to laser not working..... A post I made here before on this same problem, someone mentioned the front door interlocks - would that cause a laser to shut down totally? I ran it for a while Thursday and it would stop at the same spot reading either (both, but separate times) X Y disabled y then another time X Y disabled X then another time all power went out and back on...last night was similar but this time it stopped and wont start again. Absolutely nothing! Huh, how frustrating.

Linda Mehlenbacher
02-14-2015, 1:33 PM
Thanks guys!
I think it is a loose wire somewhere too.....I think coming from the smaller harness plugged into the M.B. Just going by when it worked to the point when it didn't work. Last time it worked with this harness connected while the longer harness was unplugged from the M.B. Now it doesn't work.
I contacted Jeff Aichinger the area sales rep I bought my laser through - who told me about Bill Neal an Epilog service rep (not very far from me) I'm hoping he will come and take a look at it for me this coming week. No way would I pack it up and send it to Colorado - I live in NY....unless I absolutely have to.

Bill George
02-14-2015, 1:54 PM
Are there any connections that get flexed a lot? I have also had PCB's with bad solder connections on the back side where the connecter plug was soldered into that had a poor solder job and anytime the connector was moved it either made or broke that solder connection. Since the bad connection is intermittent its going to be tough to find.

John Noell
02-14-2015, 7:19 PM
I contacted Jeff Aichinger the area sales rep I bought my laser through - who told me about Bill Neal an Epilog service rep. Both of those guys are real stand-up sorts in my personal experience.

Linda Mehlenbacher
02-16-2015, 7:39 PM
So...... after hours upon hours of looking at these wire in this machine trying to find a short - I think I finally found it! But I won't get too excited just yet until I have it all put back together again (hooking up the motors etc.) I took out my mirror and needle nose pliers, magnifying glass and a bright flashlight..... With the on-off switch to on (looking for loose wires) I happened to wiggle the black wires going to the door interlock (I'm guessing that is what it is). It's black with two black wires connected to it and then to a harness located in the front next to the door magnet - and sure enough the display lit up and all the lights on the control board lit up too! Apparently the short is there (I think). The only thing is, I unhooked this harness and it's still working. Is that normal or is this just a coincidence and my laser just decided to work???