PDA

View Full Version : COMPLETED! CD / DVD storage cabinets

Brian Hale
07-26-2005, 5:50 PM
Well after about 10 months of delays and redesign, i finally finished this pair of custom designed CD/DVD storage cabinets. The customer is a collector of music and movies and has thousands of each stored in boxes in his house.

What he wanted was an adaptable storage system for both CD's and DVD's so we worked together and settled on this design; (2) 7 drawer units with (2) glass door display top cabinets for movie box sets.

Some details... The cabinets are birch stained with mahogany gel stain and finished with 5 coats of WB lacquer. The adjustable shelves sit on pins with sleeves set into the cabinet sides. The glass in the doors are secured with the clear rubber edging from Lee Valley and the hinges are the self closing Blum euro style. Knobs are brushed stainless steel.

Brian

More to follow....

Jim Becker
07-26-2005, 5:59 PM
Brian, that's truly a lovely piece. Excellent work and execution! Great photography, too...the detail shots add a whole lot to the thread.

Brian Hale
07-26-2005, 6:03 PM
...... The drawers were the tuff part as he wanted to be able to configure each drawer for both CD's and DVD's but wasn't sure how they would be filled. I came up with a series of removable dividers allowing either 6 rows od CD's, 4 rows of DVD's, 2 rows of DVD's and 4 rows of CD's or several other similar combinations. This made the drawers fairly large at ~33" wide by 25" deep, enough space for ~320 cd's per drawer or 4480 cd's total

Thanks for looking!
Brian :)

Chris Barton
07-26-2005, 6:24 PM
What can I say; masterful execution, wonderful planning, exceptional craftsmanship! Great piece and much to be proud of!!

Chris

Brian Hale
07-26-2005, 7:11 PM
Jim, Chris, Thanks for the kind words!

I had a rough time with the pictures. :mad: The lighting gave me a fit and getting the colors right with the mixture lights i had (1500 watts of halogen plus 1500 watts of photo lamps and the flourescent shop lights) made shadows and shiny highlights a problem. I have a new found respect for professional studio photographers!

Ken Fitzgerald
07-26-2005, 8:07 PM
Brian......fantastic work! I need something like that but on a smaller scale! Thanks for posting!

Jay Knepper
07-26-2005, 8:51 PM
Great looking cabinets, and very well executed!

Corey Hallagan
07-26-2005, 9:41 PM
Brian that is so sweet. Man I could use that system for all my movies and CD's. Awesome work!

Corey

Steve Elias
07-27-2005, 12:36 AM
Beautiful pieces, but I must say the detail that really caught my eye is the reflection of the second piece framed in the glass doors of the first piece (picture #3). Are you a photo enthusiast as well? Nice work on all fronts.

Steve

Kirk (KC) Constable
07-27-2005, 1:36 AM
The clean lines make that very elegant. Quite nice. :) And your pics are a fine example of why the shelf pin sleeve inserts are worth the minimal cost..they make just a huge difference.

KC

Bill Arnold
07-27-2005, 6:42 AM
Brain,

Great design and execution! Your photography is topnotch also!

Regards,

Keith Hooks
07-27-2005, 9:14 AM
That's a really nice piece of work and the amount of effort you put in is obvious. Even the shelf holes are reinforced. Quality craftsmanship! Thanks for posting.

Jim W. White
07-27-2005, 10:12 AM
Outstanding!!!

...must not let wife see this post. Too many projects lined up already! :p

Bob Mooney
07-27-2005, 10:20 AM
That is totally beautiful! Yet another idea for a future project! :)

Ralph Barhorst
07-27-2005, 12:45 PM
Brian,

Really nice. I especially like the finish. I have some birch that I want to use for a Hall Table. Can you tell me what brand of gel stain you used? Did you put on a sealer before the stain? What was your final grit of sandpaper before you stained it?

Brian Hale
07-27-2005, 5:21 PM
Thanks for the kind words. I must admit it was a very difficult project (for me anyway) and it's nice to hear your approval. :)

Steve, Photography is one of 3 hobbies of mine. (Diesel performance is the third one) Mainly i'm a nature photographer, landscapes, birds/mammals and macro/closeup. When it comes to people, most, if not all, of my shots are sooooooooo bad, folks call it artwork :eek: :D . This is my first attempt at "studio" photography on a scale this size it was a learning experience. I think i need to buy some stuido lighting..... :rolleyes:

Ralph, I used Oplympic oil based gel stain, Traditional Mahogany. I sanded through 180 grit, raised the grain and hit it with 180 again. I believe i'd stop at 120 the next time. It's easy to apply and a little goes long way but don't let it dry to the point of getting tacky before you wipe it off or you'll get an uneven color. If that happens, it's easy to fix by applying more and wiping it right away. I didn't use a sealer before or after the stain. I let it dry for 2 weeks before the WB lacquer.

A couple details i left out....

I exchanged 70+ emails with the client
The drawer slides came from Lee Valley and are rated at 150 lbs/pair.
Steve Wall supplied all the wood and sheetgoods. (Good quality stuff!!!!)
4 sheets 3/4" ply, 5 sheets 1/2" ply, 3 sheets 1/4" ply, 5 1/2" sheets baltic birch ply and 150 bf ft hardwood. 1 3/4 gallons of Target USL lacquer.
There are 4 heavy duty leveling feet per cabinet and are adjusted by removing the bottom drawer.

Thanks again for your comments!! :cool:

Keith Christopher
07-27-2005, 11:06 PM
TOLD YA'LL !!! TOLD YA'LL !!!! They are wonderful !

Kelly C. Hanna
07-29-2005, 7:30 AM
Nice work! I like the color of the stain.

Mike Scoggins
07-29-2005, 12:18 PM
Brian,

Nice job on the cabinet. I like the versatility you built into the design. With the rate of change associated with electronics and the storage of data associated with such, comes the need for flexibility. Your design succeeds in meeting this challenge.

Very nice!

Mike

Brian Hale
07-29-2005, 7:03 PM
Mike, i had that discussion with the customer and considered adding some additional slots for smaller media but anything i did would surly be circumvented by technology :rolleyes: If things change considerably, he'll just have to order new cabinets :D

Kelly, i was trying to match the color of his existing cabinets from a sample he provided and it didn't come out too bad. At least he liked it!

Keith, thanks! You've been an inspiration to get them completed for several months now :p and i for one am happy they're out of here. Perhaps i can do something else one weekend before the next one is late. :rolleyes:

Thanks again folks!

Jeff Cybulski
07-29-2005, 7:41 PM
Excellent work and great photography....I plan on doing something similar but on a smaller scale.