PDA

View Full Version : 24v Impact Drill Suggestions

Andrew Kertesz
02-01-2015, 7:40 AM
My son has requested a 24v impact drill for his birthday which is coming soon. He specified Dewalt or Milwaukee. Does anybody have personal experience with either of these brands or suggestions on another brand and voltage? Seems like the 24v are cheaper than the 18v at least in the Dewalt line. How come?

peter gagliardi
02-01-2015, 10:35 AM
It's my experience that the Milwaukee tools are more solidly built than the DeWalt's- Every plumber/HVAC guy I know runs only Milwaukee.

Steve Rozmiarek
02-01-2015, 10:39 AM
My experience is the opposite of Peters, way more Dewalts than Milwaukee here. Maybe its a geographical thing. I personally really prefer the Dewalts. I also personally wouldn't bother with the extra weight of 24v, but if thats what he wants....

Mike Henderson
02-01-2015, 12:22 PM
I thought the newer DeWalts were 20 volts, not 24V. I have a 20V DeWalt impact driver and it's good - lightweight and powerful. But maybe I misunderstood. Does he want a hammer drill, or an impact driver?

The 20V is a lot lighter than the 18V (different battery technology).

Mike

Jim Andrew
02-01-2015, 12:38 PM
I don't have any of the new Lithium ion drills, except for Bosch, but my Dewalt drills are very sturdy. My son's company furnishes Dewalts with the new style battery, and they seem very good. He works for a company that contracts gas line work from the local power company.

Dan Hintz
02-02-2015, 6:38 AM
I picked up a Milwaukee set during 2013's Black Friday sales... I'm a big fan (so far).