PDA

View Full Version : Problems with my bench vise

Anthony Whitesell
01-31-2015, 9:14 PM
I year or so ago I picked up a used 6" bench vise with quick release. It is black with a pop up bench dog and cast into the front is '52D'. I cannot find any other markings or identification. I don't know if the quick release should allow the vise to slide in both directions, but it does not. It is only allows the vise to slide closed, not open. That is not my worry/problem. The issue is when I crank the handle to tighten the vise it starts to tighten then pops loose. I have to hold the quick release handle in order to get the vise to tighten. This is my question. What should I be looking for in the mechanism to get the vise to tighten without holding the quick release lever?

P.S. If you happen to know the manufacturer of a black 6" vise with quick release, that would be nice to know as well.

John McClanahan
01-31-2015, 11:17 PM
Some pictures of the vise would help.

Anthony Whitesell
01-31-2015, 11:19 PM
Working on it (battery charging). Anything in particular?

In the meantime, it looks like this one http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/144844/Groz-7-Quick-Release-Woodworking-Vise-with-Quick-Adjustment-Trigger.aspx only black.

glenn bradley
01-31-2015, 11:54 PM
A spring holds the half-nut in place to allow the threads to engage. The lever up front toggles the tongue to activate the release. If this area gets loaded with saw dust or other spoil it will foul the engagement of the half nut. I would also inpect the threads of the center screw to see that they are not damaged.

Anthony Whitesell
02-01-2015, 7:55 AM
Thanks to Jim Matthews, I don't need the camera. Here it is, http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/tooling-parts-accessories-sale-wanted/record-52d-woodworking-vise-sale-247225/ . Only mine is black for some reason.

Frederick Skelly
02-01-2015, 8:10 AM
Anthony,
I second what the guys above said. I have been cussing my Record 52 for a year because every time I cranked it open, the half nut would disengage. And the quick release had the same problem you describe.

The other evening - totally on a whim - I cleaned some light rust off the guide bars, used my compressor to blow all the accumulated dust out of the parts (including the half nut) and sprayed dry lubricant on the guide bars and screw. Felt like a major dope when the vise started working almost like new, including that quick release. I think the rust and crud was causing the guide bars to bind due to tight tolerances in a couple places.

Fred

John McClanahan
02-01-2015, 9:04 AM
My vise is different, so I can't help.

John

Anthony Whitesell
02-03-2015, 10:11 AM
Here are some pics of the vise in question.

Jim Matthews
02-03-2015, 3:19 PM
I'm only guessing here -

I think the metal 'bar' underneath isn't original.
I believe that if you get a higher grade steel
bar stock installed, the twist under torque
won't dislodge the locking mechanism.

Nice job fitting it into the benchtop.

Anthony Whitesell
02-03-2015, 3:39 PM
I'm only guessing here -

I think the metal 'bar' underneath isn't original.
I believe that if you get a higher grade steel
bar stock installed, the twist under torque
won't dislodge the locking mechanism.

I don't know the difference. Anyone have an original with pics?

Nice job fitting it into the benchtop.

I learned it from the 'Creek. Maybe that should be a t-shirt.

Jim Matthews
02-03-2015, 6:48 PM
That bar is the only way to actuate the half thread on, or off the shaft.

If the cover holding the bar in place is snug, that's the only place
where it could be pushed off the threads.

If it was me (and it isn't) I would take it apart, and put it back together
to see if it's just a misalignment problem.

Failing that, replace the bar with something 'tougher'.

These vises are prized, for their longevity
and smooth action. Worth fixing - either way.