PDA

View Full Version : Door options

Matt Woodworth
01-31-2015, 7:47 PM
Also, I have a thing for sliding barn doors. Are they cheaper or more expensive than garage doors? Can you insulate a barn door or will it always have bad gaps?

Cameron Handyside
02-01-2015, 10:11 AM
Matt, when building my shop, I had to use a matching garage door due to HOA rules, but we turned it into a giant pocket door, using barn door hardware. I have been very happy with it. Doesn't cover any overhead or wall space and I only lost a few inches due to the pocket door wall. I insulated it and exterior weather stripping keeps gaps to a minimum. And it was originally my wife's idea!
305694 I have better pics but can't find them on this machine.

Steve Rozmiarek
02-01-2015, 10:49 AM
I like Cameron's pocket door, it ought to be easier to seal. Standard overlay sliding doors are typically harder to seal, but it can be done. One way is by using toggle pulls that pull the door tight to the building when shut. There are flashings that aid the endeavor, sorry I don't have a link but they are basically two channels that interlock.

Jim Andrew
02-01-2015, 11:26 AM
I built a new machine shed about 10 years ago, and it has sliding doors. Much less expensive than a huge overhead door, or aviation type doors. But they do not seal well. There is a gap at the top, as well as along the edges. You could possibly put some type of gap filler, but it would not work anywhere nearly as well as with overhead doors. The weatherstrip for overhead doors works very well. I have 3 overhead doors on my woodworking shop, all insulated with weatherstrip, and hardly notice any infiltration around the doors.

David Helm
02-01-2015, 3:17 PM
Built my own sliding barn door with 3/4 inch plywood and vertical cedar exterior sheathing. Edges of plywood covered with galvanized angle iron. Easy to seal at bottom and top. Top and sides are sealed with wood and bottom seals against a treated lumber bumper. Low tech keeper is a simple ring and hook that holds the door against the wall. I use this in conjunction with a hasp and padlock for security.

dan nelson
02-01-2015, 6:32 PM
305747 my shop doors are carriage and hinged they seal perfect. tension box design and insulated.

cody michael
02-10-2015, 11:06 AM
Does it snow where you live? if yes, a sliding door will need its track cleared in order to open, mine on my barn freeze shut sometimes in the winter. previous owners design not mine...