PDA

View Full Version : Moments of Stupidity

Rich Riddle
01-31-2015, 7:45 PM
The older I get, the more common moments of stupidity seem to materialize. Someone used my Hammer Winner and said it stopped working after he was finished. Fair enough it has a finicky safety switch. So I took out the switch, cleaned it, meter checked it with an old Simpson 260 and reinstalled it. Saw didn't work. Then I took of the main switch panel. Oh my, far more complicated than anticipated. At the switch, an open existed to the safety switch. Long story short is that the safety switch is wired into the emergency stop. He had simply turned the saw off with the emergency stop. Reset the switch and it runs well. Guess the safety switch did need adjusting.

Senior moments seem more common the more senior I get.

Frederick Skelly
01-31-2015, 8:47 PM
Doesnt sound like stupidity to me, Rich. How could you have known he used the emergency switch? I probably wouldnt have looked there either if I already knew the safety switch was sensitive.

Jerry Thompson
01-31-2015, 9:36 PM
I sharped my LN #41/2 chipbreaker. I put it all back together and wondered why it cut so poorly.
I am just happy when I take a shower in the morning and nothing falls off.

Tom Stenzel
01-31-2015, 10:36 PM
I prefer to keep my personal graveyard private.

:D

-Tom

Bert Kemp
02-01-2015, 1:07 AM
What tic's me off is people who borrow tools and bring them back not working with some lame but excuse. When I borrow something it always gets back to the owner in working condition no matter what. Go Pats!!

'Jacques Malan'
02-01-2015, 2:50 AM
After may years of "repairing" stuff the first thing I check these days is if the electricity is on. And then I check the plug and only after that will I start checking switches.

Moses Yoder
02-01-2015, 6:51 AM
I can't recall ever doing anything stupid. I did set my hands on fire once, but I meant to do that.

Steve Rozmiarek
02-01-2015, 10:29 AM
I just pulled a stunt like that with a dryer. Pluged it in, it ran fine, no heat. Asked wifey if she had ever seen it flash L2? Nope, new one to both of us. Out comes the electrical tools, verified that power was in all the right places in the outlet, tried again, no heat. Repeat the diagnosis, same result, two more times. Finally seat the plug all the way into the outlet, the L2 (line 2) warning goes away and we dry cloths. Wow.

Chuck Wintle
02-01-2015, 3:44 PM
The older I get, the more common moments of stupidity seem to materialize. Someone used my Hammer Winner and said it stopped working after he was finished. Fair enough it has a finicky safety switch. So I took out the switch, cleaned it, meter checked it with an old Simpson 260 and reinstalled it. Saw didn't work. Then I took of the main switch panel. Oh my, far more complicated than anticipated. At the switch, an open existed to the safety switch. Long story short is that the safety switch is wired into the emergency stop. He had simply turned the saw off with the emergency stop. Reset the switch and it runs well. Guess the safety switch did need adjusting.

Senior moments seem more common the more senior I get.

stupid mistakes simply underscore the fact that we are human and, thus, subject to the foibles and frailties that is the human condition.

Rich Riddle
02-01-2015, 4:48 PM
I can't recall ever doing anything stupid. I did set my hands on fire once, but I meant to do that.

Reminds me of a friend who removed the top deck from his riding lawn mower (not sure why). Forgetting he removed the top deck, he went to put his foot down on the deck when mowing and cut off his big toe. He asked his wife to take him to the emergency room and she asked why he cut off his toe. He responded, "today was the day I wanted to cut off my toe." All his friends now call him "Nine Toes."

Jerome Stanek
02-01-2015, 6:43 PM
Reminds my of the time my neighbor's lawn mower wasn't cutting right. I checked it and he put one blade on upside down

Myk Rian
02-02-2015, 11:31 AM
Do not spray WD-40 onto the rear bearing of an electric dryer, while it's running.
It won't fix the squeaky bearing, and will force you to find the fire extinguisher.