PDA

View Full Version : Just finished

Allan Ferguson
01-31-2015, 4:30 PM
Tree of Heaven and black dyed hard Maple stem and lid. Approx. 11" tall, 6" Dia. WOP finish.

Randy Red Bemont
01-31-2015, 6:54 PM
Very cool design. I like it.

Red

Lori Kleinberg
02-01-2015, 12:19 AM
Very nice piece. I really like the proportions.

kevin nee
02-01-2015, 7:43 AM
I like this! How was the tree of heaven to turn? Was it kilm dry,air dry, or fresh cut?
I have some that is snickered and don't know when to turn it.

Thom Sturgill
02-01-2015, 7:50 AM
I would prefer the pictures be against a neutral background. The gold towel (?) makes it hard to see the colors. The piece would be improved if the collar flowed with the curvature of the body and were a smaller diameter. I also think the finial could be thinner at the tip. Overall a nice piece however. Looks like you caught some feather on one edge but it disappears under the oversized collar.

Thinner finials is something that comes with time and practice, your finial looks like my first half dozen or so. A course in ornament making (and making dozens of Christmas ornaments for the extended family each year) has helped me get mine down to 1/6" or less just below the tip. I would suggest getting some hard maple (relatively cheap compared to blackwood, ebony or even holly) and practice by making ornaments. That way your practices can be given away or sold. It also gives you time to design a unique 'signature' finial. Ashley Harwood has a DVD on making her Sea Urchin ornaments and provides good instruction on making the pendant. The ornament's pendant is just an upside-down finial.

Allan Ferguson
02-01-2015, 10:40 AM
Kevin, the Tree of Heaven turns nicely and looks very nice without a finish. This piece was air dried, then turned. The were checks, pith and other defects in in this piece. Thom, I quite agree with your comments and advise. I have turned thinner and thicker finials. This one was not turning down as I would have liked. Thank you all for your comments. Parkinson's has now become a player in my life and turnings. Allan.

Thom Sturgill
02-01-2015, 11:26 AM
Parkinson's has now become a player in my life and turnings. Allan.

Sorry to hear that. Our club has a member with a very pronounced hand tremors. They steady considerably when he puts the tool to the rest. Most of his turnings are thick as I think he just does not trust himself to try to go thin and I do understand the issue and difficulties.

BTW, that turner - he sells well.

Allan Ferguson
02-01-2015, 12:13 PM
Thanks Strom. Allan.