PDA

View Full Version : Veneer repair - suggestions for glue type and holding in place

Adrian Ponik
01-31-2015, 4:26 PM
My wife and I recently bought a 1950s dresser to use in a child's room with the intent of refinishing it. It was originally a semi-transparent white finish of some type over maple veneer. Someone later decided it would look better painted black and "distressed". In sanding off the black paint and original white I discovered that whoever did the black hack job had sanded through the veneer in several places, some quite significantly, and made several holes for new hardware on the drawer fronts using wood putty to fill the old ones. This isn't an heirloom dresser, or even a super nice one for that matter, so I thought I could experiment and try some veneer repair :eek:. Worst case scenario I just use more wood putty and paint it with some milk paint.

So - I went out and bought some maple veneer that looks pretty nice and a veneer saw (already have a roller from another project) and am now trying to plot out my course of action. Most of the drawer fronts will need to be totally reveenered (I figure that will be easier than trying to cut out diamond patches over 12 holes from hardware). What is my best shot at successfully adhering the veneer as far as glue and pressure goes? I know historically hide glue was used, but would that still be the best choice? Would yellow glue or contact cement be easier/better? Also, since I don't want to disassemble the entire drawer to do this and I don't have a vacuum press will I be ok just using a lot of weight for a period of time (ie books, cement blocks, bricks, etc)? Also, would I be better off removing the old veneer and adhering to the old substrate (looks like poplar) or adhering to the existing veneer? The existing veneer is sound - no peeling or bubbles, it just looks crappy because it got sanded through and has lots of holes in it.

I'm hoping this little adventure will add another skill to my arsenal, but who knows........ Thanks in advance.

Shawn Pixley
01-31-2015, 4:56 PM
My first thought would be to remove the old veneer to install your new veneer. Test on one area whether the old veneer can be removed relatively easily. If so, do it to all the drawers and re-veneer. If the old doesn't come off easily, veneer over the top.

For glue, I would use veneer glue or hide glue.

Older furniture didn't have the utility of the vacuum press. It was either applied using weights/presses or veneer hammers. Best of luck to you.

johnny means
02-01-2015, 3:20 PM
Veneer can be applied using regular wood glue and an iron. Roll it onto both surfaces and press with iron. You'll see the glue bubble and harden at the edges as it cures. This works especially well for small patches.