PDA

View Full Version : Easy Spray for Shellac?

Simon OConnor
07-26-2005, 3:44 PM
I have a Cambell Hausfeld Easy Spray Turbine HVLP (model HV1000 I believe), which I bought a couple of years ago with the intention of refinishing some cabinets with latex paint. I never ended up using it and it has sat on a shelf ever since.

Since I already own this unit I was wondering if any knows whether this system will safely spray shellac. I read the instructions and wasn't quite sure. I also sent a question to the manufacturer, but who knows how long that will take to answer.

It says in the manual:-
Unit is not intended for spraying flammable materials other than lacquer. Do not use Halogenerated Hydrocarbons which can react explosively with aluminum.

Unit has a plastic gun nozzle and aluminum can.

Thanks for any help

Simon :)

Jim Becker
07-26-2005, 6:15 PM
Shellac is substantially safer to spray than NC lacquer!! The solvent is alcohol, rather than the more dangerious chemicals in lacquer thinner. Therefore, shellac shouldn't cause an issue with your gun if it will stand up to lacquer.

Dennis Peacock
07-27-2005, 8:34 AM
When you get done cleaning up your gun with alcohol to clean up after spraying the shellac, I usually follow behind that with lacquer thinner to get the alcohol residue out of the gun since alcohol and water mix really well which can induce rust inside you gun. At least that's what I do and I'm sticking with it. ;) :rolleyes: :eek:

Phil Phelps
07-29-2005, 9:33 PM
I use lacquer thinner after everything I run through my gun. Latex, urethane, shellac, Boons Farm. You name it, lacqer thinner for the final wash.

Brian Hale
07-29-2005, 9:53 PM
Boons Farm through an HVLP gun??? Man I have GOT to come to your parties!!!!