PDA

View Full Version : Determine jointer outfeed table and knife height

Ian Scofield
01-31-2015, 12:38 PM
I just got a jointer and I'm trying to get everything setup correctly. It is a model G0586.

Everything I read says the knives need to be set to .002 above the height of the outfeed table. They also say the outfeed table should be just below the knives (same number).

So it's a chicken and egg problem that all stems from how high should the knives protrude from the cutterhead? What is the baseline here? Both measurements depend on the other, but where is the starting point?

If I seat the knives further out from the cutterhead, then the outfeed table goes up to keep that .002 difference. If I seat them deeper in the cutterhead the outfeed table will go down porportionally.

So I'm assuming the basepoint is approximately how far out of the cutterhead should the knives protrude?

Phil Thien
01-31-2015, 12:56 PM
I've never owned a jointer with a moving outfeed table, but I still have an opinion.

I'd think you'd want the maximum adjustment range available from the infeed table.

So I'd say the jointer knives should be set so they're about .002" above the outfeed table, when the outfeed table is a little bit below the maximum height.

Does that make sense?

Mike williams54
01-31-2015, 12:59 PM
Mine has the knives set in the cutter head with the end of the taper on the back of the knife, flush with the cutter head. Not sure that's right, but it's how it came, when I bought it used. Try that as a base of someone more knowledgeable doesn't say different. Get them set, then set the outfeed table to the knives. You'll need a straight edge and feeler gauges to measure .002" accurately. Watch some YouTube videos. It's pretty simple. I am by no means saying I know what I'm doing, but, that's how mine is on my jet 6" jointer and it works well with that set up. My knives are as dead flush as I could get them. The straight edge barely touches the tip of the blade at their highest point. And I mean barely touches them. Sorry if this doesn't make sense. I don't know technical terms for the components well enough to explain it well.

Mark Carlson
01-31-2015, 1:05 PM
I don't measure. Set the knives level with the outfeed table to start. Then take two boards around 4 ft long and edge joint both. Put the jointed edges together. If there's a gap in the middle raise the out-feed, if there's gaps on the ends lower the tables. Repeat until there are no gaps along the length. Hopefully I didn't get the raise and lower backwards, I have it written down somewhere:) Measuring afterwards for curiosity has always resulted in the out-feed being 2-3 thousands lower not higher than the knives. I've read make the out-feed table, even, lower and higher. The trick is get the knives all at the save level and then let the results dictate the height of the out-feed.

I've found that because I have byrd cutterheads on my jointers, I set the out-feed height and forget about it. I've yet to have to rotate the cutters let alone replace them. With knives I was constantly sharpening and adjusting. Who need that hassle.

~mark

Ian Scofield
01-31-2015, 1:10 PM
Thanks for the responses. I figured from a safety standpoint the knives should be seated as deep as possible in the cutterhead to support the knives as much as possible. I'll use that as a starting point and like Phil said provide maximum adjustment range for the infeed table side.

Tom M King
01-31-2015, 1:12 PM
I set knives by feel with a strip of hard wood, like Boxwood. I have numerous kinds of micrometers that can do such measuring, but have never felt the need. I set flush by feel. Once there is enough wear on the blades to concern me, if I don't sharpen, I'll drop the outfeed table to be flush by feel again, but that's more rare than honing the blades. Cut tells all.