PDA

View Full Version : How to cut it

Scott Berg
07-26-2005, 3:31 PM
I am making a drill press table for my shop that will have T-track on the top for an adjustable fence. I built it out of MDF and plan to cover the top with plastic laminate. QUESTION: In what order do I cut the groove for the track? Do I cut the groove first, then laminate it, and then go back with a flush cut router bit? OR Do I laminate the top first and then cut the groove? If after, can I use my stacked dado blade or will I get chipping?

Thanks. Something so simple should not be causing me so many questions but I am a newbie.

Lee Schierer
07-26-2005, 3:50 PM
It probably can be done either way. If the final depth of the groove is critical you may be better off doing it after the laminate is applied.

Jeff A. Smith
07-26-2005, 5:33 PM
I am making a drill press table for my shop that will have T-track on the top for an adjustable fence. I built it out of MDF and plan to cover the top with plastic laminate. QUESTION: In what order do I cut the groove for the track? Do I cut the groove first, then laminate it, and then go back with a flush cut router bit? OR Do I laminate the top first and then cut the groove? If after, can I use my stacked dado blade or will I get chipping?

Thanks. Something so simple should not be causing me so many questions but I am a newbie.

I would laminate first, then cut the groove. A good dado won't chip very much. If, however, you have a really unruly dado blade, another option would be to cut the groove, laminate the whole top (cover the groove), and then trim-out the groove with a laminate-cutting blade. But the first option is the easiest.

Jeff Smith
Athens, AL

JayStPeter
07-26-2005, 5:47 PM
I've built a few things and always laminated first. If you use a good stacked dado, you'll be OK. I have gotten a small amount of chip at the edge on exit doing that. Not enough to matter in a shop setting for sure. Using a router with straight cutting bit works well also.
I installed the t-track just below (<1/64") the surface on my router table so things would easily slide by. If you do this, I recommend hitting the edges with some fine sandpaper before installing the track. I have gotten little paper cuts when running my fingers along the edge to wick away sawdust or pick up a small piece.

Jay

Scott Berg
07-26-2005, 6:26 PM
Thanks guys, I do have a good dado set (Freud SD 506) but I have never used it to cut laminate before. I will glue it up and then cut the groove (easier to get depth right this way also). Can I cut it right away or do I need to give the glue some time to cure?

I appreciate the advice to a newbie and will let you know if I have problems!!

Chris Fite
07-26-2005, 11:05 PM
If you use contact cement to glue the laminate to the substrate, you will be able to cut it right away. Contact cement is done, once it is joined.

Jim W. White
07-27-2005, 10:23 AM
If you use 3M Super7 spray adhesive, which is what I've used for this application in the past, you'll want to let it set overnight.

I'm not advocating one method over the other; just offering an alternative in case you have some on hand.

...Jim W