PDA

View Full Version : LN Handtool Event, Raleigh

Maurice Ungaro
01-31-2015, 9:58 AM
Like a moth to a flame. Had to go, and well, Woodcraft was on the route to get there too. Nothing to brag about at Woodcraft, but LN is shipping me a cross cut panel saw, and a 1" bevel edge chisel. I find the 1" is something I grab for frequently, and didn't have the LN version for my set. Picked it up, handled it, and really enjoy the heft of it. The panel saw tracks nicely, and at 12 TPI, cuts quick enough but leaves a fairly smooth finish.

Saint Roy was in attendance, demoing draw knife techniques, and well generally being Roy. Tested out their version of the 48 t&g plane. Nice weight to it, but at $200, I'll hang on to my old Stanley version.

Oh, and they threw in a free DVD of my choice. Picked out a David Charlesworth's "Furniture Making Skills - 5 techniques". Now, if I can only intercept the UPS delivery before my wife does.....

Malcolm Schweizer
01-31-2015, 12:13 PM
I had plans to go to their annual event in Maine and after plane tickets, rental car, etc, I decided it was too much money. We decided maybe next year make it a family trip and do other stuff while there.

Thanks for letting us live vicariously through you. I would love to meet Roy. Also nice choices on the saw and chisel- you will love them.

Jim Koepke
01-31-2015, 12:26 PM
Meeting Saint Ray would be an enjoyment.

Almost all of my 1" chisels see regular time at the bench.

Of course, with a big chisel, one must to big things.

jtk

Jim Matthews
01-31-2015, 12:28 PM
If you can make one of the PWW events with smaller tool makers and second hand tool vendors,
apologize to your wife, in advance. Some of the new makers out there build brilliant tools, at a price.

Maurice Ungaro
01-31-2015, 1:23 PM
Malcolm- Was hoping to test drive the 8 tpi saw, but they didn't bring one. They tend to haul the tools that sell the most. Of all the different chisels I own, the LN are my favorite for feel and use.

Jim K - Roy is really a nice fellow, bit of a ham, but a great guy. Type of fellow who never met a stranger. I've had the good fortune of living these past 4 years about 20 minutes from where his school is in NC, so I've been able to take some classes there, and of course, drop money in the tool store upstairs.

Jim M - Well, I was able to drive over to WIA this past year, as it was a 2 hour drive away in Winston-Salem. All I attended was the market place, and visiting with some of the boutique tool makers was a dream come true.

In 2 weeks, we are moving back to Georgia (Atlanta area), so I won't be able to partake of these opportunities much anymore. While I cut my woodworking teeth at Highland Woodworking (it was called Highland Hardware when it was one of my haunts...), it's not the same as cruising over to Pittsboro to chat with Ed Lebetkin at the antique tool store. You never know if Roy will pop in, or maybe Bill Anderson is hanging out, having dropped off some tools. It's been a great experience.

Shawn Pixley
01-31-2015, 1:39 PM
Meeting Saint Ray would be an enjoyment.

Almost all of my 1" chisels see regular time at the bench.

Of course, with a big chisel, one must to big things.

jtk

I am surprised. I don't use my good 1" chisel that much. I use the smaller ones 2-3 times as often. I have a household use one that gets more use, but it is because that is the only household use chisel. Not for its size.

Shawn Pixley
01-31-2015, 1:41 PM
I like their events. I am not sure I need any more tools. (I know, sacraledge). But I like talking to the people there. Youcan always learn something more.

Malcolm Schweizer
01-31-2015, 2:53 PM
I am surprised. I don't use my good 1" chisel that much. I use the smaller ones 2-3 times as often. I have a household use one that gets more use, but it is because that is the only household use chisel. Not for its size.

I wish LN made a 1.5 and 2" version.

Maurice Ungaro
01-31-2015, 4:56 PM
I wish LN made a 1.5 and 2" version.
Malcolm, I do have a Barr 2" framing chisel.....it powers through just about anything!

Chris Hachet
02-01-2015, 7:18 PM
I love my LN chisels, and regularly use my LN saw. Nice choices! I bought a Japanese saw from Lee Valley at the Columbus woodworking show. Pretty much good on saws and chisels, working towards I think a low angle jointer plane as my next big purchase.

Although I would not mind finding one more nice rip saw, as I find myself doing more and more ripping by hand.

Maurice Ungaro
02-01-2015, 9:56 PM
Chris, the LV BU Jointer is pretty sweet. Picked up one from a fellow Creeker, and glad I did too!

Chris Hachet
02-02-2015, 6:31 AM
Chris, the LV BU Jointer is pretty sweet. Picked up one from a fellow Creeker, and glad I did too!

It is probably going to be my next purchase. I have a half back on order from Ron Bontz, once I get the half back I intend to do the jointer next. That should do it for me for chisels, planes, saws and the like.

After that, I plan to keep buying lumber and building things!

david charlesworth
02-02-2015, 3:11 PM
Maurice,

I hope you enjoy that DVD. It is one of my favorites.

best wishes,
David

Maurice Ungaro
02-02-2015, 3:42 PM
Maurice,

I hope you enjoy that DVD. It is one of my favorites.

best wishes,
David

Thank you, David! It is getting packed away for our upcoming move. I'll have to wait to unpack to enjoy it, but will let you know. I'm sure it is great!

Mike Cherry
02-02-2015, 11:35 PM
I went to the Hand Tool Event two weeks ago here in San Marcos, CA. Got a dovetail saw, titemark, and met Ron Hock and Scott Meeks. Ron Hocks wife is a hoot and a half lol. I spent more time talking to her than I did playing with the tools lol.

Malcolm Schweizer
02-03-2015, 2:13 AM
I went to the Hand Tool Event two weeks ago here in San Marcos, CA. Got a dovetail saw, titemark, and met Ron Hock and Scott Meeks. Ron Hocks wife is a hoot and a half lol. I spent more time talking to her than I did playing with the tools lol.

As long as you didn't spend time playing with his wife and talking to the tools, it's okay. :-)

Mike Cherry
02-03-2015, 8:55 AM
No no I was quite well behaved haha. Turns out she is quite the foodie, as am I.

Bob Jones
02-03-2015, 7:36 PM
I've never been to a woodworking event, but LN is coming to Nashville in March and I hope to make it up there. I'm sure I'll spend money that I shouldnt. :)

Mike Cherry
02-03-2015, 11:59 PM
Im from Nashville. You close to there currently?